New 260 purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
It's interesting that you say this (and I do believe you) because this come up from time to time and everyone (mainly me) ends up arguing that black isn't white, but somewhere it is :). I talked to Stihl NW about this - they are adamant that only the Pro models (and a maybe handful of Arctics) got, and still get, the adjustable pump... Did yours come from the factory like that or did someone change it out? The adjustable pump is listed as an "option" but I can't find anyone that remembers it to be an "ordering option".

I'm starting to believe that there was a batch that got into circulation that did have pro pumps, but this the exception, not the rule, and was never "official" which is why it's not in the IPL's or tech data. Maybe they were made in another county and shipped into the USA (serial number beginning with other than a "2")

I'm good friends with cheapstihlparts and he (and me helping him) has broken apart a lot (maybe hundreds) of 026/260 in the past few years, and we only see the adjustable pumps in the Pro's The non-pro have one of three pumps (round metal, white plastic, and black plastic), all crankshaft driven.

The bottom line here is that if anyone wants the drum driven pump, you need to check not only for the existence of the hole in the crank case (they've all has this since about 1998), but for the existence of the adjustment screw in the adjuster hole to indicate an adjustable pump.

I have to use my "revive an old thread" powers at least once!!!

Lake, I just bought a new/used 260 from Allan.K, and if I understand you correctly, the oiler is driven from the crank, and not the clutch drum?

I am not all that worried about the adjustable oiler, but would like to know if there is a non-adjustable oiler that is clutch driven for the 260.

CaseyForrest said:
I have to use my "revive an old thread" powers at least once!!!

Lake, I just bought a new/used 260 from Allan.K, and if I understand you correctly, the oiler is driven from the crank, and not the clutch drum?

I am not all that worried about the adjustable oiler, but would like to know if there is a non-adjustable oiler that is clutch driven for the 260.

Most likely it's non-adjustable therefore driven from the crank.

If there is a adjusting hole in the bottom of the casing, it's possible to fit an adjustable pump that is driven from the clutch drum.

There is NO non-adjustable oiler that is driven from the clutch. If you want one the easiest way is to fit an adjustable oilder then just don't adjust it:laugh:

CaseyForrest said:
Yeah, I figured, do you know the part number off hand?

Of what?
If you mean "the pump", it's a lot more complicated... you need pump, worm drive, clutch drum, crank spacer ring and washer, new clutch drum etc etc... If you want to go there I can dig around.

I sent a few off earlier this year to AS members, and one guy has two of mine.. and hasn't sent one back! I need to get on him.

Well, I guess it doesnt matter then, I just need an adjustable oiler for a 260. The saw I bought does have the hole for the adjuster.

You dont need to dig around, I can find them, just wasnt sure if there was more than one oiler.

Whats a fair price for all parts to do the swap?

CaseyForrest said:
Well, I guess it doesnt matter then, I just need an adjustable oiler for a 260. The saw I bought does have the hole for the adjuster.

You dont need to dig around, I can find them, just wasnt sure if there was more than one oiler.

$30-50, depending on condition. Do you have an IPL?

New the kit is about $100 list.

I have 2 sets of; adjustable oiler (1121 640 3203), worm gear (1121 640 7111) and rim clutch drum (no rim). All brand new. I would sell each set for $45 shipped to you. I may have a used sleeve (0000 993 0508) I would throw in but I know I don't have the washer (0000 958 1234).

Tom

CaseyForrest said:

In an earlier post I said it was a simple conversion. Well it worked and only took about an hour. But I had detailed instructions and about 6 individual parts to make the change. My 026 needed a new clutch and bearing anyway so it made sense to convert it. My saw had the hole for the oiling adjustment or I would not have done this. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back