New 346XP NE E-tech muffler--is it a CAT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaBill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been an intermittent lurker for about 18 months and learned almost everything I know (not enough) about chainsaws here. Got a 346XP NE yesterday--finally--had a question, first searched AS, then looked at the 346XP NE IPL (source: SawTroll), and then googled the part number. If the following question was covered at AS, please give me the thread.

I ordered my 346XP NE thru a nearby dealer and he said it should be "E-tech" but may or may not be catalyst and he had no control over this. Well, my new saw came in with the green gas cap and E-tech sticker, but the muffler is not stamped CAT. Good deal, right? But when I compared the non-CAT part number 544028301 cited in an October, 2008, AS thread, I was not so sure because my muffler is stamped 544028501. :confused:

So, is my muffler a non-cat? Oh yeah, I am definitely reading the number correctly. I have looked at it every whichaway. I appreciate the help. :clap:

Congrats on a great saw, and welcome!

E-tech is about the cat muffler and green fuel cap - no more and no less.

It surely left the factory with a cat muffler, unless a mistake happened (not likely).

I have never actually seen a cat muffler, so I don't know how they look.

Hopefully Spike will turn up here..........

I have been an intermittent lurker for about 18 months and learned almost everything I know (not enough) about chainsaws here. Got a 346XP NE yesterday--finally--had a question, first searched AS, then looked at the 346XP NE IPL (source: SawTroll), and then googled the part number. If the following question was covered at AS, please give me the thread.

I ordered my 346XP NE thru a nearby dealer and he said it should be "E-tech" but may or may not be catalyst and he had no control over this. Well, my new saw came in with the green gas cap and E-tech sticker, but the muffler is not stamped CAT. Good deal, right? But when I compared the non-CAT part number 544028301 cited in an October, 2008, AS thread, I was not so sure because my muffler is stamped 544028501. :confused:

So, is my muffler a non-cat? Oh yeah, I am definitely reading the number correctly. I have looked at it every whichaway. I appreciate the help. :clap:

Well good you got a 346NE you will be very happy with it. As far as the muffler it will say cat on it.

My part # is537075402N 7E cat on the cat I took off mine.

So based on your part # and mine neither means a damn thing by that alone, like SawTroll said if it has a green gas cap it probably came out with one whether its on now is the question. hth

Kansas

Last edited:
346XP NE muffler mystery

So this really is an unfamiliar muffler part number, why I couldn't readily find it. Thanks Troll and Kansas for the quick input. To clarify, while there is no CAT, cat, or anything like that stamped into the muffler, in the vicinity of the part number there is an L and an 8l (?). It kinda looks like this:

8l

544 02 85-01 L​

There's also a spark arrestor/screen dealie up top, which they all have? Hope Spike or somebody weighs in and tells me what this muffler is and that it is not a cat.

So this really is an unfamiliar muffler part number, why I couldn't readily find it. Thanks Troll and Kansas for the quick input. To clarify, while there is no CAT, cat, or anything like that stamped into the muffler, in the vicinity of the part number there is an L and an 8l (?). It kinda looks like this:

8l

544 02 85-01 L​

There's also a spark arrestor/screen dealie up top, which they all have? Hope Spike or somebody weighs in and tells me what this muffler is and that it is not a cat.

Get rid of that spark screen ASAP anyway, unless it is mandatory where you cut!

Just take the muffler off and look inside of it. If it is an empty can then it's a non cat muffler. If it has a baffle in the middle with a bunch of small holes and one larger hole it is a cat muffler.

8l

544 02 85-01 L​

Welcome! I think you are good to go it sure appears to be a regular muffler and not a cat that saved you 1/2 hour time and $40!

The part number actually would mean everything to a
Husky dealer so I misspoke there but from my experience if its a cat it will say so and like one other guy said if its hollow its non cat you about have to remove it to know,I dont think its worth it just believe. enjoy the saw its a little hot rod!

Kansas

Welcome! I think you are good to go it sure appears to be a regular muffler and not a cat that saved you 1/2 hour time and $40!

The part number actually would mean everything to a
Husky dealer so I misspoke there but from my experience if its a cat it will say so and like one other guy said if its hollow its non cat you about have to remove it to know,I dont think its worth it just believe. enjoy the saw its a little hot rod!

Kansas

just so every one knows. i just got the same saw today and took the muffler off with the same part number and it sure is a cat muffler.. not cool..

First thing I thought of...

E-tech is about the cat muffler and green fuel cap - no more and no less.

It surely left the factory with a cat muffler, unless a mistake happened (not likely).

I have never actually seen a cat muffler, so I don't know how they look.

Hopefully Spike will turn up here..........

The green cap....First thing I thought of when I seen the post....

it does have to green cap but... like he was saying it does not have "cat" stamped on the muffler anywhere. and i have been seeing that people are posting that the part number 544-02-85-01 is a not cat muffer, they are wrong. my muffler has that number and it sure is a cat muffler.

just so every one knows. i just got the same saw today and took the muffler off with the same part number and it sure is a cat muffler.. not cool..

And it isnt stamped "CAT" anywhere?

Thats strange cause I have 2 saws that came with green gas caps and cats and both mufflers were clearly stamped cat right at the front on top where it can be read w/o pulling any covers or anything.

Kansas

no cat stamped any where.. he orderd this saw (dealer) at the end of december. green cap and all but no cat stamp. none

Green cap = cat muffler. Unless it was replaced, not likely, you have a cat muffler. I personally wouldn't have one. It has a rev limiting coil as well.

Is the cat 346xp coil rev limited and the non cat is not rev limited?

I don't know if my non cat 346 is rev limited because if it is, it must be over 14K.

Seems like most folks are saying the only differece is the green cap, muffler and side etech decal. If the coils are different I really want to know before I buy another 346.

no cat stamped any where.. he orderd this saw (dealer) at the end of december. green cap and all but no cat stamp. none

If you were to take the muffler off and look inside and see a tube running up to the outlet screen its a cat, its also got a baffle twords the back with holes in it you can also see, and they are ever so slightly heavier fwtw.

Kansas

Back