new 346xp tips over easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do people really find it that much of a problem?

I can't say it's ever bothered me, but then I cut in rough areas with plenty of twigs, limbs, deadwood, undergrowth etc on the ground - when I put it down, it stays where it is as the uneven ground doesn't allow it to move (much).

I'm not there to take pretty pictures of it, so I don't care if it's on its side or upright. Surely this is the point in the 346xp - it's designed as a limbing saw, to roll about a log while limbing? :confused::confused:

I ended up putting a 357xp dog on for 7.50 and a soft case came with the saw. Putting it in that should keep it upright on the back of my truck and even if it tips over it does not matter. You guys are right it is just a chainsaw. Thanks to all.

I made a custom dawg for mine.

895375027_pFPBR-M.jpg

895374933_MYq4P-M.jpg

895374829_yju4i-M.jpg

Why would anyone build a saw that falls over? that would be worse than weighing another 2 lbs!:confused2:

I think it's interesting that some folks can talk about the balance on a tiny saw, even complaining that some 50cc saws are 'bulky', but it's perfectly fine if it rolls down hill on them.

I think it's interesting that some folks can talk about the balance on a tiny saw, even complaining that some 50cc saws are 'bulky', but it's perfectly fine if it rolls down hill on them.

Consider the source.... haha

for as much as everyone loves the 346 why would they ever set it down in the first place?:msp_flapper:

I sincerely believe that if a Stihl or any other brand of saw besides a Husky fell on it's side regularly, the Husky guys would condemn Stihl for producing inferior saws!

This is simply a design flaw that husqvarna can't or will not fix.

I like Husky saws just fine, as I have one along with a Stihl, but when something is a flaw, I call it a flaw.

Seems to me that if Husqvarna wanted to address this issue, they could do it quickly and cheaply. Personally, if I were on the Husqvarna staff, I would want this problem addressed like ten years ago. Just makes a bad name for an otherwise adequate saw.

Bob

I sincerely believe that if a Stihl or any other brand of saw besides a Husky fell on it's side regularly, the Husky guys would condemn Stihl for producing inferior saws!

This is simply a design flaw that husqvarna can't or will not fix.

I like Husky saws just fine, as I have one along with a Stihl, but when something is a flaw, I call it a flaw.

Seems to me that if Husqvarna wanted to address this issue, they could do it quickly and cheaply. Personally, if I were on the Husqvarna staff, I would want this problem addressed like ten years ago. Just makes a bad name for an otherwise adequate saw.

Bob

Why change something that sells as well as this thing does? I've even heard that its a good thing, that way the fan isn't picking up garbage from mothers forest floor. Why its an issue now that theres a new king, now thats a question.

Why change something that sells as well as this thing does? I've even heard that its a good thing, that way the fan isn't picking up garbage from mothers forest floor. Why its an issue now that theres a new king, now thats a question.

It is no more or less of a problem or an issue now than it ever was. This topic has been hashed out at least one other time on AS last year. Probably more than once, if anyone would make a search.

I still cannot believe that when Husky first got wind of this flaw in the design of the 346 MANY years ago, they didn't address it. Simply extending the clutch cover slightly, or lengthening the bucking dog would take care of it.

Simply put, they could make an adequate saw better but they have not, and it certainly doesn't make any sense.

Bob

On some of the hillsides we cut on it can be a nagging problem.
Since I bought the 261 the problem has been solved, the 346xp stands tall and salutes the 261 whenever it is present. Troll is going to be in disbelief when he finally runs one, otherwise it's like an ostrich with it's head in the sand.
At least the 346 is getting some well deserve r&r now.

All joking aside we just shut our 346 anytime we set it down and usually find a limb end to stick under the case to level it so it won't roll over, on some of our hillsides it might wind up at the bottom of the hollow.

If a guy aint really careful on these MO hill sides you will find you self rolling to the bottom of the hill while trying to catch a tipsy saw

It is no more or less of a problem or an issue now than it ever was. This topic has been hashed out at least one other time on AS last year. Probably more than once, if anyone would make a search.

I still cannot believe that when Husky first got wind of this flaw in the design of the 346 MANY years ago, they didn't address it. Simply extending the clutch cover slightly, or lengthening the bucking dog would take care of it.

Simply put, they could make an adequate saw better but they have not, and it certainly doesn't make any sense.

Bob

They would have to admit a flaw, and they don't think it is one. It would cost money, and they don't want to spend it. As far changing the handling, you going to tell me Brads solution, or the bigger dog solution changes the handling of the saw? No way. Some people think dogs on a saw this size are useless, I don't believe that, as it should protect the case somewhat, and on the 346, it would keep more paint on the side cover.

Bob

One could also ask why it took Stihl 20 years to redesign the 260? Fact is the 260 was a fine saw with a few nuisances that didn't bother pretty much everyone, same with the 346. The 346 falls on it's side, so what. The balance is a personal preference, but it's not a hard fact as some say, most of whom down the 261 have never even ran a 261.:dizzy:

''Some people think dogs on a saw this size are useless, I don't believe that, as it should protect the case somewhat, and on the 346, it would keep more paint on the side cover.''
These were my thoughts exactly, that is why I quoted it from 8433jeff.

Back