New 361 Leaking Bar Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerehunter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Guys,

I have a couple month old 361 that has been used probably 4 times. It has sat on a work bench for a few weeks and I noticed the plywood was saturated under the bar studs. I took the bar off and could see a small trickle of oil coming down from underneath the little metal plate that is held on with one screw under the bar. I assumed that it had came out of the oiler when I turned the saw on its side to blow it off with the air hose when I was done using it last.
So I clean everything off and set it on a sheet of paper. Within 5 hours there is oil dripping again. I have tried this numerous times and one day there is nothing on the paper, and the next day there is. (and the saw wasnt moved in between the times i checked the paper for oil) Now it doesnt appear to be coming from the oiler port. Where else could it come from? The area directly around the chain adjustment screw seems to be wet. Is there something I can adjust or do I have to drive the hour to the dealer to get this fixed under warranty? thanks guys in advance.

I just had my Stihl dealer replace my oil cap because of leakage. Nothing leaking yet, we'll see what happens.

If you ran it not under load before you shut it off that can happen. Try starting it and make a quick cut shut it off and then see if it does it.

Oil on the bottom

You might want to check your auto oiler adjustment. If you have it set to oil too much, it put too much oil on the chain and what you may be seeing is oil dripping from the botom of the chain, under the clutch cover. Mine will do that too. My 310 is worse, since it puts more oil on the bar.

Millman

cap

It is def. coming from behind the bar and not out of the cap. I was just reading another thread about a 660 that was leaking from the vent for the bar oil tank. I believe that is where mine is leaking from also. I would really like to just live with it rather than drive the hour to the dealer but my 20 year old 031 doesnt even leak and I didnt pay $600 for it. I followed what they said in the other thread about blowing out the vent so Ill see what happens in the morning when I check it again. thanks

Millman

Millman,

I have the bar and cover completely off and have cleaned everything and watched the leak come back 3 times without even running the saw or putting the bar back on. I clean everything and remove every ounce of oil, place it on the bench overnight or sometimes for even a few hours, and the oil drip will come back without the engine ever starting. Originally I thought the same thing you said until I kept the bar off and it keeps reappearing.

Tell Me About It

I was a little disappointed when I saw the oil leaking, especially after my trip to TSC today. They were running an Easter special...if you bought two rabbits or chicks, you got a 455 for free.

I was a little disappointed when I saw the oil leaking, especially after my trip to TSC today. They were running an Easter special...if you bought two rabbits or chicks, you got a 455 for free.

Thats really not a good deal. Thats like buying the birds then getting smacked in the head with a hammer. A free headache? No thanks! :buttkick:

You might want to check your auto oiler adjustment. If you have it set to oil too much, it put too much oil on the chain and what you may be seeing is oil dripping from the botom of the chain, under the clutch cover. Mine will do that too. My 310 is worse, since it puts more oil on the bar.

I've been slowly increasing the oil feed on my new Univent one click at a time. Before taking it out about a week ago, I found a puddle of oil on the card board I sat it on. This had not happened before. I turned the oil adjustment screw back in one click and the problem seems to have stopped. In other words, when I saw the oil leak I said "screw-it!!" and it worked. :)

Remove the oil fill cap and then blow compressed air through the vent/check valve by the oil outlet. They sometimes get stuck open with debris. Replace if needed.

I had a similar intermittent problem with my 066, tried several times to clean the vent valve with comp air, then I removed the vent valve and soaked it in various things but it would still not do its thang so I replaced it, no problem since then

Here is a link to the oil puddle problem I had on my MS660. If you decide to try and blow compressed air through the vent it will only be effective if you remove the oil cap and give the tank a place for that compressed air to go. I would also recommend cleaning the outside of the saw off prior to blowing so that you don't blow more dirt into the vent valve.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=61345

Hey I know!

Send your 361 to thall and let him put it on the shelf next to his 372 . . . that way he can show all his STIHL head customers that Stihls leak too!!! Maybe he'll make as much fun out of it as he has the 372!!

P.S. you should have taken the Easter special.

Al :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

well it can not be the saw, the ms361 does nothing wrong
it is the user, not the tool

Is the 361 a strato saw? Just curious? I just figured since the 441 was, maybe the 1 at the end meant somethin...

Latest posts

Back