new 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1!

most of the newer 361 are let leaner than lean. say for instance having to remove the limiters to keep the saw off 15K.

I just took it outside warmed it up and leaned the high just a smidge and it helped. This wasn't my usual dealer, a good dealer, just no wood to test it out on so I think for safeties sake he tuned it lean. Which I don't blame him.

:confused: It was running lean so you leaned it up more?:confused:

361 owners beware. The dealer I got my blown up saw from wanted to hear back from me after I fixed it and figured out what happened. He said he'd seen a bunch of blown up 361s' and suspected tuning.
What killed my saw was a plugged up muffler screen and the high needle in a full turn too much. I was flabbergasted when I had to take the saw apart a second time after a half a turn out was still too lean. No wonder it died! As far as I can see, no one else has touched this saws privates. It was virgin until I got it. I didn't put a tach on mine but I'd say 15,000rpm is no exaggeration. Anyone who has blown up a 361 should get a free one. Sending them out that lean is loco.
Kikass saw though.

no, i think he got the quote messed. he was running rich and i made the comment of them running wild over 15K without removing the carb stops.

i think Andy commented they used to be set even worse.

:confused:

no, i think he got the quote messed. he was running rich and i made the comment of them running wild over 15K without removing the carb stops.

i think Andy commented they used to be set even worse.

:confused:

Yeah I messed up the quote. I gave the high needle a tiny clockwise turn and it smoothed it out and let it cut. I wasn't getting rpms and it was set a little rich. I know that is hard believe with the caps on it.

361 owners beware. The dealer I got my blown up saw from wanted to hear back from me after I fixed it and figured out what happened. He said he'd seen a bunch of blown up 361s' and suspected tuning.
What killed my saw was a plugged up muffler screen and the high needle in a full turn too much. I was flabbergasted when I had to take the saw apart a second time after a half a turn out was still too lean. No wonder it died! As far as I can see, no one else has touched this saws privates. It was virgin until I got it. I didn't put a tach on mine but I'd say 15,000rpm is no exaggeration. Anyone who has blown up a 361 should get a free one. Sending them out that lean is loco.
Kikass saw though.

How can you plug up a screen if the saw is too lean??? I Full turn "too much in" is bottomed out. 1/2 turn out is usualy too lean... it will be closer to 1 turn out. Someone messed with the saw... or operator error?

You will not have any problems running synth right from the start. Back when the MX manuals were written synthetic oils weren't in "mainstream" and perhaps made a little differently. Hence all the old things in new saw manuals? It'll run just fine on synthetic.

Get that thing tuned! :chainsaw:

We've used ultra since it came out and have never had problems, new or old saws. I mentioned it to the dealer and said it has never been an issue for him either.

Mine was ran on Alky fuel with synth oil since the outset, and ran in very well in about 20 tanks.

It likes to run a tad over 14K rpms.

Last edited:
I'm saying that the oils produced today are far better then those of the past the Stihl HP ULTRA is good oil and you can use it from day one without any fears.:cheers:

By back in my mx days I referring to 2001, 2002, I still ride just don't have the time for racing anymore and all the oils I used back then are still being used today. Even Honda recommends against synthetics in their bikes during breakin.

Maybe your right about the Ultra but if that's the case I would think they've sacrificed some of the inherent value of synthetic oils.

How can you plug up a screen if the saw is too lean??? I Full turn "too much in" is bottomed out. 1/2 turn out is usualy too lean... it will be closer to 1 turn out. Someone messed with the saw... or operator error?

Yeah. The info here doesn' add up. The proper setting is probably going to be a little less than a full turn to begin with. So as Andy said, it would have been bottomed out.

Since getting the 361, have you noticed if your b.m.'s have started smelling like rose potpurri?:hmm3grin2orange: Just kidding huskystihl, congrats on the ne wsaw:D

Yeah. The info here doesn' add up. The proper setting is probably going to be a little less than a full turn to begin with. So as Andy said, it would have been bottomed out.

The screen was brown and fuzzy. Not like carbon. Chinese oil?
I didn't try turning the H needle in so I can't say where it was. It was so lean, even with the EPA cap topped out, that it would stall when I opened the throttle. It had to warm up a minute or two before it would even rev. I could recant and say 3/4 of a turn too lean. Either way, it was way too lean.
As far as operator error, the saw had a new bar and chain when I picked it up. The dealer said the original one was burned so.....
The EPA caps weren't dug up. I still say no one touched it.
What I do know is the piston was wasted and the dealer showed me a collection of pistons just like it. Before you bash this guy, he told me that he wasn't allowed to mess with EPA caps on customers saws.

Back