NEW 372 FAILURES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, it's my understanding that there were a run of failures.......but it was not an ongoing issue.

Yup. And the installation issue that TK referred to was late 2010, early 2011. Not a specific serial number range, but essentially in that time frame. Been a while since I've seen one here. And that does NOT mean that every saw from that time span will fail. Just that it is a possibility.

Unless I missed it, there's a whole lot of difference if that dealer is seeing multiple failures from multiple customers vs multiple failures from the same guy. If it's happening to several customers, let's look at the saws. All with the same guy, I think you need to look at that customer.

Interesting.
Just worked on a 372 a little over a year old with over 3000 under its belt that I tracked down to a bad clutch side crank seal. It leaked badly and the saw would lean out and run irradic. The operator was smart enough to switch saw and not damage this one.

My question is, is this a precursor to possible bearing failure. I know this saw is out of the questionable time frame, but just thinking about a possible design flaw with using old school bottom with newly designed top. More stress and to much to handle??

Just thinking out loud here.

Interesting.
Just worked on a 372 a little over a year old with over 3000 under its belt that I tracked down to a bad clutch side crank seal. It leaked badly and the saw would lean out and run irradic. The operator was smart enough to switch saw and not damage this one.

My question is, is this a precursor to possible bearing failure. I know this saw is out of the questionable time frame, but just thinking about a possible design flaw with using old school bottom with newly designed top. More stress and to much to handle??

Just thinking out loud here.
Naaa... The XT don't put out enough power to do anything to a bottom end...
;)

Hey CJ1 I am guessing the dealer you are talking about is in Falmouth. They are the largest dealer in the state and are top notch guys. For some members to assume they don't know what they are doing without having any knowledge of the dealership is absolute crap. I have had two 562's loose bearings and a johnny 2172(372xt). The two 562's were replaced with new saws. The mechanic called and got a warranty authorization number and I was out the door within a half hour with new saws. A father son logging outfit in my town has gone threw four 372xt's. In my case and the other loggers I know its the user who is not at fault, its a defected product. Keep in mind my saws get around 2 gallons a day ran threw them. The 562's that blew were not even at 200 hrs yet same with my 2172. Most of my cutting is done with a 390 and the things take a beating. I purchased a 372 xt xpg in October and ran it threw the winter and summer and its still running fine so I am happy about that. Do I have a desire to switch brands? No, because my dealer takes good care of me. If I buy a saw and it grenades and is still under warranty do I want it repaired or to get a new one? I will take the new one :). I worked at a Husqvarna dealer when I got out of high school for 5 years. Saws with major failures were replaced with new units. 575 and 576s had a lot of problems at that time. The blown units were shipped back to Husqvarna to be analyzed.

I will add another twist to the bearing issue even the dealers may not be aware of.
several years ago I pulled my 272xp down, it needed new crank brgs and seals, the original skf numbers were completely legible so I tried to order them through a local bearing warehouse, don't remember the number exactly but it was something like 6202 followed by something like sw3, the bearing house said they could get the 6202 baering but the sw3 suffics meant a heavy duty bearing cage that was no longer available. I decided to order the brgs from the local husky dealer so I could get the correct heavy cage, (many times a bearing warehouse cant get special brgs specific to certain manufactorers) what I got from the husky dealer was the standard cage brg, I know that because it was in a skf box with husky part number tag over the skf number.
I belive this may have something to do with the bearing failers due to the fact that the 372"s take the same brg.
any one else run into this? again, I am not sure of the exact bearing number so please don't grill me if I got that wrong.
Just my $.02

Hey CJ1 I am guessing the dealer you are talking about is in Falmouth. They are the largest dealer in the state and are top notch guys. For some members to assume they don't know what they are doing without having any knowledge of the dealership is absolute crap. I have had two 562's loose bearings and a johnny 2172(372xt). The two 562's were replaced with new saws. The mechanic called and got a warranty authorization number and I was out the door within a half hour with new saws. A father son logging outfit in my town has gone threw four 372xt's. In my case and the other loggers I know its the user who is not at fault, its a defected product. Keep in mind my saws get around 2 gallons a day ran threw them. The 562's that blew were not even at 200 hrs yet same with my 2172. Most of my cutting is done with a 390 and the things take a beating. I purchased a 372 xt xpg in October and ran it threw the winter and summer and its still running fine so I am happy about that. Do I have a desire to switch brands? No, because my dealer takes good care of me. If I buy a saw and it grenades and is still under warranty do I want it repaired or to get a new one? I will take the new one :). I worked at a Husqvarna dealer when I got out of high school for 5 years. Saws with major failures were replaced with new units. 575 and 576s had a lot of problems at that time. The blown units were shipped back to Husqvarna to be analyzed.

Yes, you are exactly right. We have purchased saws from them on and off for almost 20 years and never had a bad thing to say about their service. As far as the logger being at fault, I have worked with and around him for years and he knows how to adjust a chain and run a saw. That is why I did not even respond to Hamish or Pro's comment. Sorry Pro it was nothing aginst you. There is a problem and if some members would listen vs going on the attack they "may" learn something. I was in the loop on the bad 575's and my local dealer would not sell me one because of the bottom end problems, said I would tear it up in a week. He was right. I am going to buy 2 372XPG's before they stop making them and I want to be sure I get on with a good bottom end. Eble's buys these by the pallet and I was hoping to maybe get a serial# series where the problem is before dropping $1500+ on saws. Keen if you want a sweet running 390 send it to Mastermind, I finally got some time on mine and I will say it was worth the couple hundred $$. Saw has a honest 20-25% more torque and you actually have to be careful not to let the saw get too high in rpm's. The saw is not moody and is basically like a stock 390 with the fuel adjustment screws, really don't need to touch them from 50 deg through 80 or so. Fuel use seem about the same, maybe a touch more. Anyway hopefully this thread will stay open so we can learn more and maybe get some more good info like TK supplied. Pole, my buddie stopped using #5 because of that very reason. A few hundred $$$ is nothing to what that saw will make in a day, so messing with a string of bad ones is not worth it. CJ

No, thank you for everything you are doing. As soon as I get a few more tanks through both saws I will do a review on them. Just being honest, no thanks needed. Funny how some of the full time users and some dealers of these saws are chiming in on the failures. Just like the Techlite tip falling off the bar after 5 or so chains get used up. I know I am not loosing my mind with this stuff and it is not from abuse. Yes I know I run saws hard but when you can get years out of the older stuff and some of the new equipment won't run over a few weeks, then there is a problem. CJ

No on the attack at all, just shedding some light on the cause. The volume of saws the dealer is selling would negate a bad batch of bearings, let alone issues from 3-4 years ago on some saws.

Repetitive failures by the same user need to be addressed properly.

Just injecting a lil reality into things.

Keep your panties on straight.

Howdy,
Any Husqvarna dealers out there that ever had Husqvarna replace a unit?
Regards
Gregg

My memory ain't great but I think maybe 4 in the last 12 months. Could be 3, could be 5, don't remember.

No on the attack at all, just shedding some light on the cause. The volume of saws the dealer is selling would negate a bad batch of bearings, let alone issues from 3-4 years ago on some saws.

Repetitive failures by the same user need to be addressed properly.

Just injecting a lil reality into things.

Keep your panties on straight.

Don't assume things if you don't know. There is a batch of bad saws obviously or like Keen pointed out there is 4 more from another logger that has failed. So how many more that we don't know about. So the reality is they by saws by the pallet load, maybe these have been sitting for a year or more and are finally see use and are getting run through the system. So as far as this negating a bad batch of bearings/saws, I see just the opposite, it points to it. Again trying to learn what is going on with the saws. IT IS NOT THE USERS. "Repetitive failures by the same saws need to be addressed properly" And that is what I am trying to do before spending thousands of dollars on saws between myself and 2 other cutters. No need for personal attacks either, you seem to wait for stuff like this to jump on? Anyway peace, ok?

Howdy,
I was sitting here trying to figure out if replacing units is a good, or a bad thing. We had sold a couple Husqvarna saws when I was working with Bailey's. In 30 years there wasn't one single replacement unit. We had some warranties that were more than a new saw. We had always dealt with an independent distributor so, I don't know if that made a difference.
I guess we were fortunate to have enough runners around that we could give a guy a loaner until we diced out their issue. I can see where replacement is good for the end user until there's another failure. It would have to shake your confidence in the model.

Regards
Gregg

My memory ain't great but I think maybe 4 in the last 12 months. Could be 3, could be 5, don't remember.

I would be leery of the same fellow coming back with that many failures, just saying. Kind of like I'm leery about 497 people saying their 562 had a bad carb immediately after one dude posted a thread about his. Were there some? Well, yeah. That many? Lol we call that paranoia.

Back