New 520SP in the stable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Y.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Check out this 520SP a bought earlier this week for $100. I don't think there has been more than 5-10 tanks of gas through her. I've always liked running chainsaws, and I do cut and heat with wood, but when did I become a collector?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice saw, nice price, nice job, nice everything............
:cheers:

Great find!!! Except for the bar paint missing looks like new!!!! :clap:

Thanks! I haven't had much luck with CL for a while. But I saw this one early and the seller was decent about holding it for me to have the first chance at it(I got there 15 minutes after he got home from work). I pulled the muffler and the piston looks brand new. The muffler had just a hint of black on it. I know it's not the most interesting of the J-reds, but I'm pretty happy.

Nice collectors item - I wouldn't use that one! :)

What he said...but I'd use it! I'm not very knowledgeable about Jonsered saws, with that said, is that a Jonsered design or something they just put their name on? Pre-Electrolux? I've got some Stihls a Poulan and a new to me Partner and would love to add even more color to the shop! JJ

What he said...but I'd use it! I'm not very knowledgeable about Jonsered saws, with that said, is that a Jonsered design or something they just put their name on? Pre-Electrolux? I've got some Stihls a Poulan and a new to me Partner and would love to add even more color to the shop! JJ

The 510 was the last pure Jonsereds in that class - the 520 show some Partner influence (and Husky really made the desitions) = Elux Jonsereds, 1st generation (but still with the "s").
It still was a true Jonsereds though, as no other brand had a version of it, but not a pure one.

Complicated story, but that is just how it was at the time........ :givebeer:

Schweet!! I had one of those back in the day. It, and the Partner 500/5000 were the first of the quick and high revving, high power, 10 pound 3 cube saws....I think.

It took some getting used to, coming from the Stihl 031 that it replaced, upon its theft....

After that saw fell off the back of a load of brush on my pickup, I got my first 026....which didn't seem to be as much saw....though the specs say differently...

It did cause problems, which were due to the odd design which had a block between the crankcase and cylinder, which tended to warp....

The 520 SP is a great saw. I had one sitting in a remote cabin for 20 years. Brought it back to town and using it now is a pleasant reminder of the days 25 years ago when life circumstances were very different--and when I was 25 years younger! It is smooth, light, and powerful. At the time that I got it (1983), Stihls of comparable cc were quite a bit heavier. I must admit that I treat it well and only run it on Sundays and the newer saws are the ones that do almost all of the work. I would like to know the hp rating of it though. Someone sent me website with the spec sheet but the hp was not provided.

The 510 was the last pure Jonsereds in that class - the 520 show some Partner influence (and Husky really made the desitions) = Elux Jonsereds, 1st generation (but still with the "s").
It still was a true Jonsereds though, as no other brand had a version of it, but not a pure one.

It sure does show the Partner influence don't it? It shows some relation the 490. That's not a bad thing though.

What I do know is I would be all over one in that condition.

I really notice the Partner influence when it comes to the trigger handle design. Best thing that was ever done on the 920 redesign from the 910. :cheers:

BTW....Excellent find on the 520!!! I'm jealous.

:agree2:

Nicely said.

:cheers:

It sure does show the Partner influence don't it? It shows some relation the 490. That's not a bad thing though.

What I do know is I would be all over one in that condition.

Sort of, but the Jred 490 basically is a rebadged Partner P500/5000 - so it is neither a pure or a true Jonsered.....:givebeer:

Back