New 660, should I mod it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it is new I would add the factory dual port and leave it alone. Its a 660 and with a good chain it will do just about anything you come across. Congrats on the saw.

Just because you modd the work saw doesn't mean you have to spin it any more rpms than what is stock. Its the rpm's it will hold in the cut that matters, not some no-load rpm value.

My opinion,

Sam

:agree2:

Easy to get em to scream, not so in the cut. I run bars 28" up most of the time, torque is what I shoot for.

Ran a 066 at the last GTG. If memory serves me it was turning 13,600 max. Tach it in the cut, held a consistent 11900. That saw had a cut combustion chamber, no popup. Very impressive saw.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will go with the factory made dual port and leave it at that for awhile since its the only saw I have right now.

Thats what I would do. It really woke mine up. You would'nt believe you could feel the actual gains just by changing the muffler. But when you do, open up the stock hole also. Just get it as big as you can without messing with the deflector.

I believe your opinion is correct :cheers:

For example Al's (AUSSIE1) ported 371XP pulls between 10-12,000rpm in the cut in hardwood with some square full chisel he filed up (nice job BTW Al). A stock saw probably 1-2,000rpm less. His saw has some big hairy balls too - very gutsy. It is pulling 14,000rpm no load max. I would expect similar rpm results across most modded, non race saws.

With my second attempt mate I wish it would cut quicker than my round! :)

Just because you modd the work saw doesn't mean you have to spin it any more rpms than what is stock. Its the rpm's it will hold in the cut that matters, not some no-load rpm value.

My opinion,

Sam

Very good point, seriously. The 660 shaved, ported, dual port, ignition advanced, ect. is down right nasty. The saw revs up in the buck quicker and holds on substantually longer. Whole different animal.

Oh hell ya! A $1100 saw? Chop up that puppy. Nothing devalues a saw faster.

You can get all the PNW stuff like bars, cover, ect. and dual port cover, shaved, ported, and even shipped a reasonable distance for under 13 hundred, powerhead only from the guy who builds mine. I see them at my local dealer for right at 12, but you get a 32 in bar.

You'll never look back once you try a killer built 660. Knowing what they can run like makes a guy just want to hang a stocker up.

"Devalues a saw faster", well that is in the eye of the beholder. For all practical purposes a stock saw is worthless to me, as I won't cut with one, because they are so slow. Figure for a few hundred more dollars than new you can have a saw that cuts substantially faster and in good hands is much, much more productive, in that light, I can't afford to not run modded saws.

If a guy buys a saw to keep and doesn't plan on selling it next week, then he might as well have one that has been optimized for production and getting the work done quicker, so that he can spend more time doing something else or get more for the time he has invested in that work.

My opinion,

Sam

When you measure all of the tolerances and look at the rough lines on the inside of a new saw, Husky or Stihl, you might gasp. There is not a ton of finish work going on. A saw that has been trued (deck to cylinder) and shaved, ported, ect. is now "tight" and can also breathe. They will actually last longer in big cuts and in higher heat. Our hot, dry, summers out west can kill a power saw in big wood with thick bark. Stuff gets on everything and can cake into your filter big time as well. Heat is a big enemy of the powersaw. Porting and "venting" LOL is huge boon to durability.

Saw resale value only counts if you plan on selling it. Lets be honest, who buys a 660 as a collector's item or an investment piece? If you plan on actually using a modded saw for work it will pay for itself faster anyway unless you get paid by the hour.

Oh hang on, I WAS paid by the hour. Damn modded saws cost me money... (seriously they actually did!)

Saw resale value only counts if you plan on selling it. Lets be honest, who buys a 660 as a collector's item or an investment piece? If you plan on actually using a modded saw for work it will pay for itself faster anyway unless you get paid by the hour.

Oh hang on, I WAS paid by the hour. Damn modded saws cost me money... (seriously they actually did!)

They didn't cost you anymore if you worked it right. Heres how you do it:

You cut the tree down really, really fast, then sit on the log and act like you have to sharpen the chain or something for an equal amount of time, thus increasing your hourly wage income, or at least not letting your modded saws cost you money, LOL.

Sam

They didn't cost you anymore if you worked it right. Heres how you do it:

You cut the tree down really, really fast, then sit on the log and act like you have to sharpen the chain or something for an equal amount of time, thus increasing your hourly wage income, or at least not letting your modded saws cost you money, LOL.

Sam

Yeah I had thought of that but I had to average more trees an hour than the logging company that I knocked off on the quote. They said they'd average 30 trees an hour, I averaged 37.5 so should have backed off a bit darn it and had the odd siesta...
Cost me a few grand that did on a 7,800 tree job :(

"Devalues a saw faster", well that is in the eye of the beholder. For all practical purposes a stock saw is worthless to me, as I won't cut with one, because they are so slow. Figure for a few hundred more dollars than new you can have a saw that cuts substantially faster and in good hands is much, much more productive, in that light, I can't afford to not run modded saws.

/QUOTE]

Are stocker stihl saws really that slow?? Don’t pro logging types trade in every 1.5 to 2 years anyway?? What do the dealers give you for those modified saws?? So in order to be a completive in the logging business you must be running a modded saw, so all loggers run modded saws or they just aint loggin? Just asking, as logging is not my industry.

How many folks do you know that have actually worn out a gun barrel shooting it or drive a muscle car as a commuting vehicle?? I think there are a lot of folks who view a large chainsaw just like muscle car or firearm. They purchase them under the guise of “need it” for some purpose or another but deep down they know they did not really need that saw, handgun or diesel truck. Fall back point is always resale value. Mod it, cut 2” off the barrel or chip it, not only do you pay for the modifications, you lose resale value. Just that simple but there is nothing wrong with the practice and if it gives someone some jollies, go for it.

Are stocker stihl saws really that slow?? Don’t pro logging types trade in every 1.5 to 2 years anyway?? What do the dealers give you for those modified saws?? So in order to be a completive in the logging business you must be running a modded saw, so all loggers run modded saws or they just aint loggin? Just asking, as logging is not my industry.

Yes, stock saws are pretty slow, and this is compounded when you are really tired on a side slope and you are trying to keep production up. That is where a nice light 70cc saw that cuts faster than a stock 660 is really the cats meow. I don't even notice a 70cc saw for hours on end, but a 660 will finally get to me.

I have all of my same saws for the last 5-6 years, others may buy new saws, I just get things fixed on my old ones or smash them with a tree and then really have to fix them, LOL.

I don't know that many loggers that run modded saws, but that doesn't mean that I have to run slow saws does it????

I view logging as a race to get the trees on the ground (safely and with quality cuts), because I only get paid in piece work so the faster I get my work done the faster I get paid and the more I make per hour. I saw a video of a 441 that cut some cookie in something like 4.5 seconds in stock form, then they modded it and it cut the same cookie in 2.9 seconds that is time saved. Additionally, some small saws are just too weak to use in production logging situations like the stock 441, I think the thing sucks in stock form, but I have had two and will have 4-5 modded ones and they are great then. I have the choice between modded 660's and modded 441's and I take the modded 441 everytime. I recently "raced" my big bore 660 against my new modded 441 and the 441 was about .5 second faster in 22" ash, why would I want to carry that big bore 660 around when I can just use that little saw?????

Modded saws are money makers or time savers, there isn't anyway around that. If your time isn't worth very much then run a slow saw for all I care, but my time is worth something and I try to get my work done quickly, as there are other things in life I enjoy doing more than running a saw (I know that is an odd thing for this site, LOL.)

Sam

How many folks do you know that have actually worn out a gun barrel shooting it or drive a muscle car as a commuting vehicle?? I think there are a lot of folks who view a large chainsaw just like muscle car or firearm. They purchase them under the guise of “need it” for some purpose or another but deep down they know they did not really need that saw, handgun or diesel truck. Fall back point is always resale value. Mod it, cut 2” off the barrel or chip it, not only do you pay for the modifications, you lose resale value. Just that simple but there is nothing wrong with the practice and if it gives someone some jollies, go for it.

I've worn out numerous gun barrels :)
I do see your point but rest assured where I am no modern saw owner in my area (that I'm aware of) keeps their saw in good condition just for resale value. They keep it like that because they don't want to pay a fortune buying a new one.
By the way, I was against modded saws too - if you look hard enough you'll find posts from me a few years back along the same lines as you.

Then I actually owned one, bought for a commercial tree felling job because I had some spare money and this job more than paid for it, and my whole attitude changed. As have everybody that ever ran both my stock and modded 7900's side by side. Now I have 3 modded 7900's, a modded 390XP and XPG, a modded new MS660 on it's way, a stock 5100-S, a stock Husky 3120, and a 200T that I bought 2nd hand that performs like it's modded but I'm unsure :cheers:

The only downside to a modded saw in an all day use situation is extra noise which without good muffs (I fitted Peltors to my helmet) will give you a good headache by the end of the day.

I hope to live long enough to actually shoot out a single gun barrel. Guess I should spend more time shootin’ and less time cutting. I have nothing against modded saws or modded anything for the folks who need and use the mods but I cant help but wonder how many people actually need them.

I hope to live long enough to actually shoot out a single gun barrel. Guess I should spend more time shootin’ and less time cutting. I have nothing against modded saws or modded anything for the folks who need and use the mods but I cant help but wonder how many people actually need them.

A 6mmPPC benchrest barrel is often a done deal at 800-1200 rounds. A bitter little pill when a new tube with install is $500.

Latest posts

Back