New Baileys BB kit not a very pretty sight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Let's make this clear right up front this is NOT a bash Baileys post. Feel free to grouse about the lack of photos too. My camera skills would be hard pressed to clearly show the imperfections inside a cylinder even if I was smart enough to post photos. I've only had a digital camera a few weeks and have barely touched it.
I'm fortunate to live near an experienced chainsaw guy, Gink595. After I unpacked the BB kit and noticed some obvious flaws in the cylinder I took it to Gink for his appraisal. Besides the obvious nicks (or possible casting flaws) in the cylinder wall he pointed out some issues regarding the transfers. He also had some issues with the nikasil (sp?) coating in some locations. Another issue involved the piston ring pin being located in the center of the exhaust post.
Has anyone ever returned a BB kit and paid the extra to just get the real German product?
I have NO doubt Baileys is and will remain a top notch retailer. Again I repeat not bashing Baileys, if there's a bad apple in the barrel it's only fair that I get it.

What saw?

Have you taken it up with Bailey's?

It's the 84cc kit for a Makita 6401.

No I haven't contacted Baileys yet, I just got it a couple hours ago.

I'm confident we'll work it out ok.

I just read a post recently where Grande Dog claimed the quality issues had been resolved.

Just asking, is the piston properly orientated? The ring ends are often located in the intake opening on Husqvarna saws, so if the piston was in backwards so to speak, try turning it 180.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Alot of things are said on here.........

it might be worth it to actually try things before deciding.
you might be surprised....

Just when i think there is a spark of hope,,,you extinguish it in one fell swoop.

center of the intake,,maybe,NOT exhaust..

Let's make this clear right up front this is NOT a bash Baileys post. Feel free to grouse about the lack of photos too. My camera skills would be hard pressed to clearly show the imperfections inside a cylinder even if I was smart enough to post photos. I've only had a digital camera a few weeks and have barely touched it.
I'm fortunate to live near an experienced chainsaw guy, Gink595. After I unpacked the BB kit and noticed some obvious flaws in the cylinder I took it to Gink for his appraisal. Besides the obvious nicks (or possible casting flaws) in the cylinder wall he pointed out some issues regarding the transfers. He also had some issues with the nikasil (sp?) coating in some locations. Another issue involved the piston ring pin being located in the center of the exhaust post.
Has anyone ever returned a BB kit and paid the extra to just get the real German product?
I have NO doubt Baileys is and will remain a top notch retailer. Again I repeat not bashing Baileys, if there's a bad apple in the barrel it's only fair that I get it.

I've had some issues, and Bailey's is good about resolving them. I guess the thing to remember is that these P/C's are extremely cheap compared to OEM, and there's a reason for the OEM prices - Sam

Sounds like you've got the piston backwards. Is the arrow pointing towards the exhaust port? If so, then it was stamped wrong. There was a batch a while back that did have the arrow pointing the wrong direction. They went through them all and pulled them from inventory.

Yes, some rings end in the middle of the intake port. But never in the middle of the exhaust. The rings do not travel across the intake port like they do the exhaust.

You need to contact Greg, aka Grande Dog. He will take care of you promptly.

Just when i think there is a spark of hope,,,you extinguish it in one fell swoop.

Yeah, usually there's an arrow on the piston that you point at the exhaust port, on Mahle pistons anyway...

Theres no doubt Baileys will make it good, like Brad mentioned there was a thread I read a while back where Greg mentioned there was a bad batch and they will make it good for whoever ended up with one. :cheers:

no no no... what i was meaning was try, aftermarket parts before you say they arent for you... i have seen some aftermarket stuff that is on par with oem if not better

I've got the 460bb from Baileys. I was actually impressed with the castings compared to a 440 mahle jug I had. The plating looked fine too. The only gripe I had was that the intake and exhaust were small, but otherwise even the piston and rings look like decent quality. I've got 40+ hours on it now and its still running strong. I would definetly buy another one.

The piston wrist pin did not line up on a 262 piston. Baileys is sending another on my word. I did not have to send it back. Gooooood Service.!!

Back