New bar/chain for a 43cc chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Owen

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I believe it's got an Oregon Doubleguard bar/chain, though I'm not too sure as the bar has the saw brand written on the side rather than the bar/chain (defo Oregon) model on the side.

By the way it's a Tanaka ECV-4501

Cos I've only recently bought the saw I probably won't have to replace the bar and chain for a while yet. Despite this I've heard negative stuff about the Doubleguard bar, and probably the chain alongside it.

Regarding this, then, what cost effective bar/chain combination would you guys reccomend for a 2.5hp saw which will get use of around 4/5 days a week.

I've been looking into the Oregon Pro-Lite bar and a chain to match, the current chain is a .325" pitch, 18" bar length and I think .058" gauge.

Last edited:
Check and make sure it has .325 chain on it because the oregon 91 stuff is 3/8s low pro....as far as I know. Dont want to get a mis match combination.

the one on it at the moment is .325, I looked at the selector guide on Oregon's website and it didn't have the Doubleguard bar in the results. Could that mean it's not got one on at the moment.

It's a pain in the arse how it's got the name of the manufacturer written on the bar instead of the chain model.

Try the baileys online website. Theyre a site sponsor and have a excellent bar selector. Its about half way down on the right hand side. I know your in UK, but it might help you out to look.

I believe it's got an Oregon Doubleguard 91 bar/chain, though I'm not too sure as the bar has the saw brand written on the side rather than the bar/chain (defo Oregon) model on the side.

By the way it's a Tanaka ECV-4501

Cos I've only recently bought the saw I probably won't have to replace the bar and chain for a while yet. Despite this I've heard negative stuff about the Doubleguard 91 bar, and probably the chain alongside it.

Regarding this, then, what cost effective bar/chain combination would you guys reccomend for a 2.5hp saw which will get use of around 4/5 days a week.

I've been looking into the Oregon Pro-Lite bar and a chain to match, the current chain is a .325" pitch, 18" bar length and I think .058" gauge.
yer giving out conflicting info,if its got a 91 bar on it thats 3/8 pitch low profile and it is not .058 guagebecause low profile is not available in .058.Now decide whats actually on it and someone can help you.

Right I understand, I'm just a bit confused because the site I bought it from showed it with a Doubleguard bar, yet the bar has a chain pitch of .325".

I've just emailed the firm I bought it from, should get a genuine awnser on Tuesday... that's a long wait :(

I'm starting to think now it's already got a Pro-Lite bar or something, I'm going to find all my paperwork for it tommorow and see if that says anything.

Anyway the bar and chain on it at the moment has a .325" pitch, .058" gauge, 18" bar and the file diameter is 3/16" or 5/32". Cannot remember off the top of my head.

With that information, what would be the best oregon bar and chain for use in occasional light felling and every-day logging?

EDIT: I'm making myself sound like an idiot here... The site shows it with a "DOUBLEGUARD .325" bar, not a doubleguard 91. sorry D:

Last edited:
Right I understand, I'm just a bit confused because the site I bought it from showed it with a Doubleguard bar, yet the bar has a chain pitch of .325".

I've just emailed the firm I bought it from, should get a genuine awnser on Tuesday... that's a long wait :(

I'm starting to think now it's already got a Pro-Lite bar or something, I'm going to find all my paperwork for it tommorow and see if that says anything.

Anyway the bar and chain on it at the moment has a .325" pitch, .058" gauge, 18" bar and the file diameter is 3/16" or 5/32". Cannot remember off the top of my head.

With that information, what would be the best oregon bar and chain for use in occasional light felling and every-day logging?

EDIT: I'm making myself sound like an idiot here... The site shows it with a "DOUBLEGUARD .325" bar, not a doubleguard 91. sorry D:
In that case i recomend 21 lpx for the chain and a prolite bar.I would go with a 16" bar on a saw that size.

21 lpx looks good, is reasonably priced too.

I'm just wondering, what is a witness mark?

21 lpx looks good, is reasonably priced too.

I'm just wondering, what is a witness mark?
Helps with keepin the top plate angle correct when filing.If you keep the right file height and this angle right the hook angle will be right when you use the recommended file size.
LPX is a very smooth,fast cutting chain.

Back