New bar smoking a lot--because of kinked chain, clogged oil hole, or too much 2-stroke?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter44752

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My bars always seem to smoke a lot, I use a grease gun for the nose but I think some of my chains may be *slightly* kinked and/or I put too much 2-stroke into the mix (but why does the whole bar smoke?) Also my saw doesn't use up oil as fast as it used to so I'm wondering if the little hole is slightly clogged (I try to clean it but it's hard to get to). Short videos and a picture attached, when I'm attached cutting (and need two hands on the saw and can't film) it's quite a bit smokier. Thanks

Attachments

• 20240325_145150.mp4
    11.4 MB
  • 20240325_145233.mp4
    8.3 MB
  • 20240325_150020.mp4
    7.1 MB
  • 20240325_153130.jpg
    20240325_153130.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 3
(I try to clean it but it's hard to get to).

I would pull the clutch cover and bar. Run the saw without those parts, and report how much oil is coming out of the oiler hole.

I can't view the vids. The little bit of saw I can see in the one pic suggests you make need to clean your saw more often.

Roy

That chain has taken an absolute hammering! Needs about 2mm filed off it & the rakers taken down to bring it back to serviceable. Bar will need dressing too.
Probably not a bad idea to flush the oil tank out & check that the oil pickup isn't clogged. If it's cold you might want to consider running a winter grade bar oil

A chain that dull and with depth gauges that have not ever been adjusted/filed down to .025-.030 lower than the cutters the chain will just slide over the wood needing the saw operator to apply a lot of down force to even attempt to get any cutting action a great amount of heat is created from the friction so yea the bar will smoke. Everyone viewing, look closely at those cutting teeth, they are seriously damaged, the corners are polished while the top angle part of the tooth is worn down,shiny.

new bars can be a tad tight, back in the heal under the bar cover seems to be the spot , i find. take the bar off and check for lube holes to be open. while the chain and bar are off. put the chain on the bar and hand rotate, looking for the tight spot. when you find it, it could be every driver or just a occasional driver. you may have to file the width of the raker. so it rotates easilly.

it could be no lube/defect or chain to tight. your oil pump could be failing or broken or the bar not on right against the block at a angle.

I can't see the videos, but the one .jpeg I can see shows a chain with extremely worn/damaged cutters. If you are forcing this chain to cut, it is building up heat and causing the bar oil to burn and smoke.
Sharpen or replace your chain!
Clean the bar groove and oil hole while you have the bar off.

Even a dull chain will 'cut' if you reef on it hard enough. Of course it goes from making swarf to sawdust....

My only comment as any other comments would be viewed by the OP as detrimental and condescending. Amazing, just amazing...

Myself, I'd have never posted pictures for all to see....

Take all day to file that loop back to being sharp. Those cutters are really flogged....If it was mine (I never let any loop get that bad), It needs to be ground on a chain grinder and the rakers dropped as well. In the one picture, a close up of the chain shows the rakers almost proud of the front edge of the teeth. I see his location is Mid Atlantic which tells me little but if he's near me in SE Michigan, he can bring the loop by and I'll set it for him for free and drop the rakes too.

Maybe the OP only has one loop instead of 2.

be sure to match the gauge of your chain with the gauge of the bar - if the chain gauge is too large for the bar it will smoke until it wares a grove in the bar ?

I would pull the clutch cover and bar. Run the saw without those parts, and report how much oil is coming out of the oiler hole.

I can't view the vids. The little bit of saw I can see in the one pic suggests you make need to clean your saw more often.

Roy
Thanks (I dropped it off at an Echo service location but they said they're backed up for 6-8 weeks so maybe I'll go get it and try that).

That chain has taken an absolute hammering! Needs about 2mm filed off it & the rakers taken down to bring it back to serviceable. Bar will need dressing too.
Probably not a bad idea to flush the oil tank out & check that the oil pickup isn't clogged. If it's cold you might want to consider running a winter grade bar oil
Ok thanks, I get the chains sharpened at a hardware store so maybe I'll ask them if they also do the rakers (I just bought a $30 sharpener from Harbor Freight but haven't learned how to use it yet).

I can't see the videos, but the one .jpeg I can see shows a chain with extremely worn/damaged cutters. If you are forcing this chain to cut, it is building up heat and causing the bar oil to burn and smoke.
Sharpen or replace your chain!
Clean the bar groove and oil hole while you have the bar off.
I do clean the bar groove but someone else pointed out the place that sharpens my sawchains might not
Even a dull chain will 'cut' if you reef on it hard enough. Of course it goes from making swarf to sawdust....

My only comment as any other comments would be viewed by the OP as detrimental and condescending. Amazing, just amazing...

Myself, I'd have never posted pictures for all to see....

Take all day to file that loop back to being sharp. Those cutters are really flogged....If it was mine (I never let any loop get that bad), It needs to be ground on a chain grinder and the rakers dropped as well. In the one picture, a close up of the chain shows the rakers almost proud of the front edge of the teeth. I see his location is Mid Atlantic which tells me little but if he's near me in SE Michigan, he can bring the loop by and I'll set it for him for free and drop the rakes too.

Maybe the OP only has one loop instead of 2.
If a loop is a sawchain I have two and take them to a hardware store to get done but maybe they don't do the rakers (also I've been cutting big pieces of black walnut which might be a little big for my 18" saw; I'm in southern Pennsylvania).

Latest posts

Back