New belly line setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey John,

I had the same discussion with Ken Palmer. 95% of westcoast conifer climbers would be naked without their fliplines. Personally, I once nicked the steel core, some 25 years ago. I was fairly green at the time. The line got caught on a stub or bark behind the tree. I felt the steel and stopped. Only a few strands were cut.

However, I fully understand that the steel core can be cut clean through. About five years ago, two of us were in an ivy covered tri-dominant previously topped maple. one trunk was already fallen across a fence. But that's not the story. We heard sirens. Next day, when we returned to finish the job, the customer told us what had happened. A nearby homeowner, an unemployed logger, was removing several doug firs. He cut through his flip line and fell 40 feet to a roof, and was killed. Later, we heard that he was using a steel core flip line. Most likely this info was correct, as everyone uses them out here.

So while most climbers out here do not use two tie ins when blocking, limbing, or lowering wood, and I include myself in those statistics (about half the time anyhow), I know of no other resultant accidents. I'm sure there have been some instances though. I would far rather just use one steel flip line, than have two floppy lanyards, which are much easier to cut, as they dont hold as straight a line around the tree. And just a light nick could send one or both of them flying, which would leave the climber where? So, if anyone want to lecture me about not always following to the letter the ANSI two tie in requirements, I don't mind. We're working on it. But old habits die slowly.

However, a more important issue, I think, is the simple skill of knot tying. In our new climbing techniques, simple has gone out the window. What used to be one rope, tied to saddle, then a tautline hitch, and a backup, is now a deadend, split tail, double locking carabiners, and a backup. More places to fail! I know of four locals who have fallen from improper knot tying. The latest caualty was a certified arborist who fell, breaking his neck. Another broke his leg, a third was not hurt much at all. The fourth fellow was standing delicately on an orchard ladder, attempting to tie a double fisherman's to dead end his lifeline. The line was preset by another climber, and he just had a minor heated discussion with another worker. So his attention was not focused enough. He jumped onto the line off the 12 foot ladder, and was footlocking the tail into a giant atlas cedar. Some 20-30 feet later, he was kicking air, then landed on a slight slope and rolled onto asphalt. He climbed back up into the tree and worked for an hour until the pain got too intense. Ended up with a pin in his ankle. This fourth accident, was the first, and it was yours truly. This was about seven years ago, shortly after the new climbing wave started. Should have been no problem for me, as I have years of technical rock and mountain climbing experience.

Anyhow, it is never too late to learn , change, grow, build new skills, refine safety techniques.....I'm sure many of us, myself certainly, need to add more safe procedures, even if at the expense of slowing down the work.

Rb,
I don't quite understand your reasonong on the single tie in point, while chuncking down a spar.

Normally, I will have one line tight and running straight around the tree. Then my second line is slightly loose, and positioned about 12" to 18" below that.

I disagree that more parts in the system increase the chance of failure, but I would say the system is only as good as it's weakest link.
If you look at a typical new climbing system, it starts with a spliced climbing line, runs through a cambium saver, and is secured with a closed hitch with spliced ends, all attached to the belt with a double auto locking binner. Little chance of failure there.
The old equivalent was hemp rope tied around a D ring, put over a branch after free climbing up to it totally unsecured, then secured with a tautline hitch with 3 wraps and no stopper knot.

Mike,

I didn't mean to infer that a single steel core line is better, just that that is what most westerners have used for 50 years. I too choke off my lifeline for the second tie in. but I like it up high, for rappelling to the next cut, then retrieving with a long tail. The concept of having one lanyard lower is great, but I rarely bother with that. Besides, for wood lowering, both lanyards should be above the block, they say, to preclude possible line entrapment. I bend that guideline sometimes by placing a lanyard just below the sling, but above the block. It seems pretty hard to get caught there, but I suppose it is possible.

Also, most westerners, when removing a stout, dense branched conifer, don't bother setting a lifeline, either high or nearby. We just spur up and go to work. I move up the (if needed) lowering line, using cheap 1/2 inch 12 strand, natural crotches and stubs for wraps. Saves hardware rigging, saves a gman by doing most of the lowering myself, wears the rope a bit, but is very quick. This is for the easy trees, of which most are. We break out the overhead slung blocks, portawrap, speedlines when warranted. I will throw in a lifeline just above lots of times, as much for comfort as safety. My primary assistant, a young fella, uses a lifeline a lot. I'm doing it more and more, in an effort to modernize, be safe, and meet ANSI specs. One thing that I'm unlikely to change, though, is one handed saw use. I feel it is much faster for day to day activities. I try to never get complacent when doing so, and think of the possible things could go wrong, such as having a gaff slip which one handing.

However, if I do any training of a beginning climber, I will likely steer him toward ALL the latest safety skills, following Arbormaster training techniques. The problem would be him (her?!) watching and learning my (bad?) habits.

:cool:

Sure, murph.

But the new ANSI Z.133 regulations require 2 tie in points when operating a power saw, I believe.

No one I know, myself included, follows that rule to the T. But, more and more we are. Nothng wrong wirth a bit of extra safety. the more you do it, the more it becomes habit, and quicker to set up as well.

While many feel that using steel core lanyards gives a false sense of security, I don't. I try to never get complacent around it, and never forget where my saw bar is aiming, and that includes the whole length. Sure a tiny nick may occur once every couple years, say from lazy follow through or something. 25 or so years ago, i did cut the into the steel core, and felt it immediately, stopped, and found only a couple strands cut.

I also have few fears of slipping, having used only a lanyard for so many years during removals, but really like being choked off. Not only does it negate any fall possibilities, but it takes weight off your gaffs.

Murph

Your right, I also tend to place stronger focus on chainsaw and cutting technique rather than limited protective devices. The limitations of the system are probably mentioned in the advertisment but I do wonder if there is mention of the forces generated by a medium to large tree splitting down. Also the SWL of the "tie in" system etc.

Even with a medium tree with say 5 -10 ton of crown will generate huge levering forces when splitting down like that.

We tend not to plunge cut (sissor Cut), on the free grain timber like the E. regnans as a defect 10' below can have the tendency to allow the tention wood to rupture at that point , and the whole slab of timber come from underneath you, departing with the crown (The climber would travel with the crown). Prefer an overdone quarter cut and be prepared to chase it off the stump. The larger the lean the more cation required.:eek:

This example, on p 15 of '01 and02 Sherrill catalog, is another application of the adjustable false crotch, AFC.

An AFC can be made up with a minimum expense and has a lot of applications.

One of my concerns with the FSP setup is how well an adjuster made from round material works on flat webbing. It seems that rope on rope or webbing on webbing would provide more secure friction.

Another reason for using an AFC is that the climber has a way to the ground at all times. In my second year of climbing I had a limb come down on my right shoulder during a take down. I was spiking with a flipline. I had to downclimb solo and it was hard, and dangerous, to take off my flipline at the crotches.

RB-Even if you train your newbies to follow "The Rules" you need to do the same. If not, and you have an investigation because of an accident your liability could be increased because you're providing a workplace that is unsafe. A while ago I read about an owner who got into a friendly snowball fight with his employees. Someone got hurt and the employer was held responsible for negligence because of his condoning unsafe workpractices. That might seem extreme but that;s the way that your actions might be viewed by lawyers.

When it comes to a safety issue, stop and think, "Will I be more likely to go home walking following proper procedure, or should I gamble, and do what's easy?"

Then...think of two more words:

Widow and orphan.

Buried in my excess gear is a steel core flipline. That got ditched because it was too heavy. I might have to resurrect it for doing big spars and set it up with a large Gibbs. That's a good idea! Thanks...

Tom

Hey Tom,

If you're not going to use it, I'll take that steel core flipline buried in your toolbox. Mine has so many nicks in it that it doesn't want to slide thru the Micro-juster.

Pic of nicked Hi-Vee flipline

Last edited:
Guys!

I for one believe in a backup for everything, it's my life! I simply use my climbline choked off and attach to it with a gri-gri. Flipline rides underneath, this works great for coming down the tag/pull line(as long as it's 1/2") and is way secure for topping/false crotching out tops where spar movement could possibly throw your flipline off the top of the stick. The only extra gear you need is the gri-gri, simple.

Rigging it down,

X-man

X man
Are you saying replace friction hitch with Gri-gri ?
Ok....
I always use two lines, usually the other way round.Flip line on top and climb line as back up below.
I have stopped climbers who use a single line an told them to put in second line.
This is because the steel cores have been set aside mostly.

This is a great thread. I’ve really enjoyed the reading. It’s evolved into two subjects, flip lines, and the new Ansi Standard requiring two tie in points while using a chainsaw. Are there existing threads on these two subjects? Seems like everyone has something to say on them.

So here’s my 2¢. I think I use a safety line or double tie-ins, more than most, and therefore I am probably in compliance with the new standards more than most. And I think the new standard should be significantly modified to require two tie-ins during specific cuts only, such as an any time when the climber loses sight of the tip of the bar, or is cutting within such and such a proximity to his line, or when a slip or kick back could possibly cause contact between the saw and his line etc.. Will somebody please explain the need for two tie-ins otherwise. I can think of scenarios where two tie ins could actually be dangerous. If climbers are getting hurt due tothe knot failure or the like then why not required two t.i. at all times? Who made that rule anyway?
I also remember not liking the safety snaps when they first came out. So maybe I’ll change my mind in time. Right now though, I think the vast majority of experienced climbers will not comply.
And I don’t remember the last time I worked from a lanyard, without being tied into a climbing line. I was taught to be tied in at all times. If anything should go wrong I want to be able to hit my knot and run to the ground.

As far as steel core flip lines, I never even saw one in use, or on the shelf, until last year. I bought two at a clearance table in a lawn mower shop. Still haven’t gotten around using them. Guess that’s just a regional thing. East coasters don’t do steel.
Daniel

Well, this here ole westerner used to use nothing but flip lines to get up a tree.

I still do with most straight forward conifer removals. Too hard to set a line in a solid crotch next to the trunk.

I would never consider flipping up or down a tree without a nice stiff flip line. It is quick, easy, and bombproof.

Throwing in a lifeline just above the workpoint, or choked for trunk removal just makes sense. (or in a nearby trunk or tree)It is rapidly becoming second nature, for most trees.

I'm suprised at the responses in this thread. Guys happy to admit they climb on worn out old gear and working with a single tie in point.
I could nicely explain why I think this is foolish but that's not my style, so I'll just say:

<FONT COLOR="#FF0000"><FONT SIZE="20">IDIOTS!</FONT>

Hmmmmmmmm; my lil'quote thing; about the "G.I. Jane" drill seargent informing the recruits about preparedness as he barx: "You're going to war now; always have a back-up; 2 is 1 and 1 is none". Specifically addresses tieing in twice; and approaching every task; ...............well with a lot of overKILL! That this is how we positively usher safety and control with all odds against us! i have always thought of hanging from a 1/2" line and running a highspeed cutting instrument at the same time as a lil'crazy; so always have that lanyard on! i even try to keep it meticulously anchored seperately when i can; just in case the other anchor would fail?????????! I also look at my lifeline as a suspension device; and a lanyard; as an anti-sway device; along the path of the suspension line's pendulumn. Also, i look to having more security and stability; if i am tied into a "V" pocket o of the lifeline and lanyard; even comfortably dividing my weight up amongst them.

i think if you can't flip a lanyard around something and catch it , snapping it to its D-ring (while visually checking!); like it is nothing/ no time; you just haven't practiced that motion/skill often enough. So i would recomend perhaps; one should work on that at every oppurtunity! Then, once you have it polished that quick/transparent to work achievement; there is no reason not to do it! Also, a lot of these things were written; when guys also had spurs dogged into wood most of the time; we have given that up; so i think that even more scrutiny would be put on the other devices of hanging on in 'trade'.

And i can't say enough about the precision adjustability of a microscender (Sherrill search # 15200); just snapping it back and it being instantly tight; then i can confidentally fall back into it! And i love the twisted clevis link they have for it now (search #15991); it lines that ascendor up just right; so it doesn't twist, wonderful! It and the ascendor are so small and discrete; i really believe that they are the right tool, for the right job!

i always tie in 2x before cutting; sometimes might even have a 3rd for balance, comfort! Or, might even have all my slings set on each load, pre-set for rigging each down in turn; i might clip one to my belt; not relying on rigging stuff for life support; but not ruling that whole sector out as helping in stabilizing or transportation either; but always still tied in correctly on primary.

Maximize control is what i tell my guys! Take any system and ask what are the 2 easiest things you could do to upgrade the strength/security/safety here? That goes for a load or lifeline; for it is all the same- ropework! Do this to make things more positive mechanically; but also; to exercise your abilities to observe and troubleshoot; like they were muscles/skills that you wanted to keep strong!

I use two tie in points pretty much all the time when I am working with a chain saw. Most of those times I am only using 2 lanyards, but that is still two tie in points. I found in the past that sometimes being tied in with both a climbing line and a pair of lanyards can be more dangerous than good. What I used to do is tie in with my climbing line on one leader, then hook up my belly line on another leader, then either swing the piece I was lowering off of the leader I was tied into, or butt hitch it with a block off of where my belly line was. That knocked me off my gaffs more times than I would care to remember. Now I just tie in at different places, or use a LOT of slack in my climbing line.

Dig out your copy of the Z [ANSI Z133], you do won one don't you? It's the rules that we're obligated to follow when we play the Game of Arboriculture.

Take a look at the names of the people on the Z committee. They are "us", lifelong arbos not OSHA beaurocrats. This fall the next revision of the Z will start. The rules are well thought out.

When a climber uses two fliplines, what happens if that climber needs to get to the ground? How would the climber change into a descent system in a hurry? Why not use the climbing line as a second flipline? That makes for a nice back door escape route to the ground.

Using two means of support is not awkward for me. I've never felt in danger with two lines. It has taken me a while to reprogram my brain though.

Remember the two Safety Words: Widows and Orphans.

Tom

Call it what you want, back-up or system redundancy.

if you have no mechanical tie in and rely on theer point manual technique you will not pass the sneeze test. Or bad sandwich test or any senario where our bodies fail us.

I don't like the barbers-chair protection for a selling to on this technique, but the it's being a decent (sic) back-up is enough for me to eventualy add it. I'm no good at what they called "combat decent" in military pole climbing class.

TD,
I appreciate your passion, attention to detail, expertise, and knowledge. You are a great resource. And I still Am asking “Will somebody please explain the need for two tie-ins (at all times).” Your reply “ The rules are well thought out.” Doesn’t scratch my “need to know why” itch. Check out pg 42 of TCI, April ’02. Referring to ANSI A300 the authors say “you can tell somebody how to do something but you also need to explain why”.
Trust us we’re the experts doesn’t do much for me. I like to think for myself as much as possible, especially when it’s my life on the line.
Two stories come to mind around 2 t.i. when using a chain saw. One guy cut his lanyard while working a spar and managed to hold on to the saw’s handle til the crew got a ladder under him. The second guy broke a leg after the ground crew failed to let it run and the branch kicked back into his saw which cut his line (according to his wife). Now these guys could have benefited from the 2ti rule.
What I don’t like about it is making the absolute, “at all times”. Too many factors in a given situation to make such an absolute. Again TCI pg 42 “you apply your knowledge, you apply common sense, and you factor in the shoulds and shalls of the A300 and you come up with the best possible solution.
Daniel

I've always followed the '3 points of contact' rule of thumb. When in a tree, ESPECIALLY when running a saw, I need to have 3 points of contact to keep my balance. Since it takes 2 hands to start/run a saw, and I'm USUALLY balanced on one foot (knee, hip, elbow, whatever), it follows that I need a second tie-in in order to have my '3 point contact' for stable balance. Main tie-in, secure footing with at least one foot, and my lanyard add up to 3 points. This frees both hands for working safely.

Daniel,

Your two stories seem to make the case for a second tie in. Did I miss something?

Your references to the TCI article are good. You have to make the choice about following the guidelines for yourself and be prepared to suffer the consequences of not following the guidelines.

Quoting Scripture, the Z: 7.2.8

Arborists shall use a cesond point of attachment [work-positioning lanyard or double-crotched rope] when operating a chain saw in a tree, unless the employer demonstrates that a greater hazard is posed by using a second point of attachment while operating chain saws in that particular situation.

I have no problem following 7.2.8 because I haven't found a case where I felt more at risk with the second attachment. Can you share some times when you feel more at risk? Give some real-world cases, nothing theoretical.

When I first got into kayak touring I followed a column in Sea Kayaker written by an instructor. He would relate an accident and then pick it apart to find the point where the failure started and what could have been done at that specific moment to change the outcome. He also would give advice about general safety matters in situations that were similar to the accident case. One thing that stuck with me was his way of saying "Backup your backups." In other words, triple safety! Kind of like what a buddy taught me about his time in the US Nuclear Navy.

Since I'm quoting Scripture, I should also quote on of our Disciples, Jeff Jepson, in The Tree Climber's Companion, page 6, second edition:

My desire to publish a second edition of TTCC emerged from reflections of a rather serious fall I suffered while performing a routine removal of a large, hazardous Jack Pine in 1994. To this day I can remember nearly every detail of that fall and the many violations of safe climbing practices I committed which preceeded it. Forty feet above the ground, secured to the trunk of the tree with only a single lanyard, I was limbing the smaller branches of the big Jack. That's when it happened. As I reached to cut a branch, operating the saw with only one hand, my leather glove caught in the throttle trigger, keeping the saw accelerating after I had cut through the limb. To my horror I was unable to stop the saw's downward progress. I watched in disbeleif as I accidentally cut my own lifeline. The safety lanyard attached to the tree. In the ensuing eternity of seconds I cartwheeled through the tree to the frozen ground below. What followed was a long wait for an ambulance, a lengthy session of x-rays and the most amazing sense of peace and awe I have ever experienced as I thought of God's awesome power and His ability to rescue me from a helpless and seemingly hopeless situation.

When Jeff told me about his accident back in '94 I became converted. Hearing about Jeff's accident is as close as I ever want to be to falling. When I play out the alternate ending to Jeff's story, I get really scared. Jeff, his wife, two children and folks are all good friends of mine. I sure don't like the thought of them not having Jeff in their lives. Added to the possible loss of my "Twin brother from different Mothers" you can bet I double tie.

I'm with you, when you write "Trust us we’re the experts doesn’t do much for me." I'm a Capricorn so I need to know both sides of anything. Besides, I'm just a little too cynical to take most anything at face value. That said, my experiences, and luck, have proven to me that the Z is a good basis for work.

Like Clint said, "Do you feel lucky today?"

Tom

Latest posts

Back