New big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cgraham1 said:
I used my ported hybrid with a 28" bar to cut a 20" oak stump, and I was wishing the whole time that I had a 90cc saw. I cut a pine stump where the bar was barely long enough to cut it from one side, and it did okay. I'm guessing my 77cc hybrid will run at least as good as a stock 461, and I wouldn't want to try stumping with a 32" bar.
How about that Dolmar in your sig? I'd say its a runner

546b6122d18d2023cfb19de6fd1ada92.jpg

I went with the 661 this morning and am very happy so far. I got a 36" roller tip and a 20"hard nose to play around with. I put two tanks through it this morning. The 36" bar chugged right through the big piece of poplar you see it setting on sunk to the tip. The 20" is ridiculously fast sunk to the tip. The saw shop i use had a brand new 660 still on the shelf that I considered but for the same money I went with the newer saw. Thanks for all the replies and discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Red 2095! BaHaHa!!

There are 2 Ported 660s in the trader that I'd look real hard at before buying a 661.

I like my 461s, but over 28" Stumping in Oak is 90cc+ all week long.

A 395 is a bad Man, but I wouldn't go there with less than a 36".

I went with the 661 this morning and am very happy so far. I got a 36" roller tip and a 20"hard nose to play around with. I put two tanks through it this morning. The 36" bar chugged right through the big piece of poplar you see it setting on sunk to the tip. The 20" is ridiculously fast sunk to the tip. The saw shop i use had a brand new 660 still on the shelf that I considered but for the same money I went with the newer saw. Thanks for all the replies and discussion.

Great lookin! It will just get stronger with time.

@Jon1212 I had a 660 and just didn't care much for it. I felt like it was sluggish for a saw that size. Granted it was bone stock. I'm hearing reports that the 661 is vastly improved in this area. I put my hands on one last week at the shop it felt better balanced and less cumbersome than the 660.

I had the same impression of the 660...stock they are a downright dog and they will rattle your fillings out. The 661 sounds like a vast improvement over it.

395xp is definitely the ticket for long bar/stumping/milling duties.

Congratulations !

Very nice saw indeed and it looks like it got the job done and then some.

Johnny Red 2095! BaHaHa!!

There are 2 Ported 660s in the trader that I'd look real hard at before buying a 661.

I like my 461s, but over 28" Stumping in Oak is 90cc+ all week long.

A 395 is a bad Man, but I wouldn't go there with less than a 36".
20160715_212336.jpg
I wish this 42" was a reduced weight bar.

My 661 just seems to keep getting stronger all the time, love it, much nicer to use than the 660...smoother, more powerful, and much more economical, which I appreciate, as I don't have to stop to fill up so often and go through the restarting process as often. I'm not entirely convinced it starts from cold that well (usually 6 or 7 pulls) but at the next service I'll ask them to do a reset in the hope it may help.
I was considering a new 660 instead, but now I'm so glad I chose the newer 661. I think you will grow to have a big respect for yours. I'm looking forward to the warranty expiring so I can open the muffler up a little to help it breathe easier.
I also like the captive bar nuts...a nice touch. Shortest bar I run on my 661 is a 25", my long serving and faithful MS440 is a psycho with a 20", and fun to use with it.
Great choice.

For sure! You can for get about how your saw "balances" with a 42" that **** don't happen lol View attachment 513613
I have a 32" Oregon Reduced Weight I picked up in a stack of free used bars, and I really enjoy running it on my 395, but it'll be relegated to my 288, once I get the oiler back together.

Congratulations nice saw there

Latest posts

Back