New Chain saw recommendation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atvdave

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New here but have been cutting wood for years.

I've had a Craftsman 16" chain saw for over 15 years and it still works great. My only 2 complaints are that it's a pain to keep the chain tight, (the adjustment always slips no mater how tight I get the screw), and the chain goes dull very fast.

I will be cutting about 5 cords of wood per year for my wood burner insert. I'm looking for input on purchasing a new saw with a 18-20" bar.

I tried to do a search but not much came up.

What do you use and what's a good quality brand?

Thanks
Dave

My only 2 complaints are that it's a pain to keep the chain tight, (the adjustment always slips no mater how tight I get the screw), and the chain goes dull very fast.

I suspect the chain is dull first and is then overloading the adjustment or it's stretching ?

Last edited:
Find out who the best local small equipment dealer in your area is and purchase your equipment from them. For 5 cords a year under 18” in diameter a husky 350 ( 50cc’s for $350) will do you well. If you have stihl dealer in your area a 290 farm boss is your saw (similar money). If you have a reliable Dolmar dealer in your area the 510 or 5100 will be fine. If you are already familiar with chainsaws and comfortable with ordering parts/fixing saw yourself, the best bang for the buck is the Makita 6401 (Makita owns dolmar and this saw is same base as the dolmar 6400,7300,7900). More saw than most home owners will ever need but real handy during the occasional ice storm. Can be had on fleabay for under 400 clams.

New here but have been cutting wood for years.

I've had a Craftsman 16" chain saw for over 15 years and it still works great. My only 2 complaints are that it's a pain to keep the chain tight, (the adjustment always slips no mater how tight I get the screw), and the chain goes dull very fast.

I will be cutting about 5 cords of wood per year for my wood burner insert. I'm looking for input on purchasing a new saw with a 18-20" bar.

I tried to do a search but not much came up.

What do you use and what's a good quality brand?

Thanks
Dave

I haven't heard much about a saw actually causing the chain to dull. Are you cutting wood with dirty sandy bark? Are you adept at chain sharpening? As for the new saw- one of the biggy names in the 50cc class. e.g. Dolmar, Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, etc.

Thanks for the fast replys. It looks like the Dolmar has a good recommendation. Not only here, but in other forums as well.

I do have a very good dealer of Stihl but was just not wanting to go with the norm. I like to play out side the box... I still will keep my craftsman and use it but was just wanting to get a new one and keep my craftsman as a back up.

anyway my family has a lot of acreage so there a lot of wood to be had. There are 3 of us who have wood burners and I was going to start to cut the wood (not all) for us. My brother lets me use his splitter so It's a good jester.

Thanks for the input.. For now I'll look the the Stihl's & Dolmar.

And yes.. the chine goes dull first.. but very fast. I just get tired of stopping and changing the chain 3x for a 1/2 cord of wood.

Dave

And yes.. the chine goes dull first.. but very fast. I just get tired of stopping and changing the chain 3x for a 1/2 cord of wood.

Dave
if the chain goes dull that fast you either have very bad chains or very dirty wood (or you cut in to the ground).
welcome to the site atvdave!

my chain used to get sloppy quick till I figured out I was adjusting it wrong.

it seems my problem was I'd adjust it without lifting the tip or nose upward while tightening the nuts down on it... makes sense now that I think about it since most of the time your cutting down and the wood or force is pushing up on the bar.

Lugnutz.. You may have the best point yet. I have never thought of that but you are right.

Regardless I'm still going to get a 2nd chain saw. maybe I'll put my kids to work with my old one? :sword:

Latest posts

Back