New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine for a few months and I like it a bunch. It's easy to use....my wife uses it to sharpen my chains...how can you not like that ? :msp_sneaky:

I certainly do like that idea, more cutting time less sharpening time! Prob. is my wife like to cut a bit as well. Just tired of filing my butt off and looking for great results like a new chain. Im getting the hang of filing i think, just not perfecting it. Just needed an excuse to drop the 150 bux on one. 'cause that would buy another saw. lol

Just needed an excuse to drop the 150 bux on one. 'cause that would buy another saw. lol

yep, and then you'll have another chain to sharpen and still no Timberline :buttkick: IMO the Timberline sharpens as good as new, after you use it you'll soon start to forget (or ease the pain) about the price. I use two saws and its nice knowing you start the day out with chains nice and sharp. When I dull the chain on the first saw I grab the other and my wife sharpens the the dull saw while I continue cutting. Works great. :)

Looks like the same concept as the old Gamn sharpeners.

Okay I haven't read the whole thread yet so forgive me if this is off base. This looks almost exactly like my Gamn sharpener I still use. Only this one looks better constructed. On the Gamn it has two halves of the body portion riveted together. I was getting too aggressive I guess and the body was spreading, so I drilled out the rivets and bolted the two halves together. This one looks better constructed, but the old Gamn does a fine job. My only thing is I still havent really figured out how to properly use it for the drags, so I just hand file or Dremel those and do test cuts. Might have to pick one of these new Timberlines up!

yep, and then you'll have another chain to sharpen and still no Timberline :buttkick: IMO the Timberline sharpens as good as new, after you use it you'll soon start to forget (or ease the pain) about the price. I use two saws and its nice knowing you start the day out with chains nice and sharp. When I dull the chain on the first saw I grab the other and my wife sharpens the the dull saw while I continue cutting. Works great. :)

Sounds like a good plan. As I said, i am starting to get the hang of filing, but still seems as if my chips are still small, not like a fresh chain. Wonder if the timberline accomplishes that? Either way xmas is for the kids so i may have to hold off for a bit. I am certainly glad I quit taking chains elsewhere to be sharpened. It seems they hack em up more than sharpen them!

I live in Kentucky also. We have been known to travel aways to seek revenge

:angry::hmm3grin2orange:
Oh… I see you’re from the KY state. I have a lot of KY jokes, just can’t post them here, but they all have to do with kissing cousin’s, taking your sister to the prom, and teaching your daughter’s how to French kiss.

:msp_biggrin:

Sounds like a good plan. As I said, i am starting to get the hang of filing, but still seems as if my chips are still small, not like a fresh chain. Wonder if the timberline accomplishes that? Either way xmas is for the kids so i may have to hold off for a bit. I am certainly glad I quit taking chains elsewhere to be sharpened. It seems they hack em up more than sharpen them!

Raker height is the second thing I look at if the tooth is sharp and the chips are small. Slap a gauge on there, see how many file strokes it takes to get the height right and just go through the chain.

Love It...

Just wanted to chime in here. I haven't used my timberline for a while now, but that's only because I haven't started bucking firewood yet (next years wood that is, been too busy). BUT...it's nice to know that when I do start cutting again, I've got about 12 freshly timberline sharpened chains to use. I used it to "revive" a bunch of old chains that were hanging around, some good ones and some mutilated ones. Granted, only 6 or 8 of those chains would I even think to take in and have a "Pro" sharpen. But at $15+ per chain, I got my money back already. Oh yeah, 2 of those chains were for a 36" bar.

As compared to hand filing?? If you are good at hand filing then you will be faster...but don't take too much time or I will be faster with the TL. Once you get in a rhythm the Timberline is not what I would call slow.
However, unless you are really good with a hand file, odds are the timberline will show you your shortcomings. I thought I was decent at hand filing, and so did my old man, until I got the Timberline. Our older chains had some serious issues, cutter lengths and angles were all over the place.

Is the Timberline perfect? Probably not...
Can I tell the difference?? Nope...

Just my $.02.

Thanks, I picked up the husky roller guide/raker gauge a while back. Had to tweak it a bit to sit lower on stihl chains but it seems to do a decent job as well. Ill check my rakers, been kinda doing them by eye according to tooth length, etc. I must not be using the gauge right as it seems it never wants me to take any off the rakers. Ill figure it out eventually. lol

Thinking of picking one of these up, looking forward to it. I hand file with no jig (used husqy roller guide for a few years) and feel like i dont get uniform sharpening (usually after i have a run in with a rock and needing a bit of material to be removed) As far as carbide size, i run stihl chains on my saw, so id want to go with 13/64th right?

Thinking of picking one of these up, looking forward to it. I hand file with no jig (used husqy roller guide for a few years) and feel like i dont get uniform sharpening (usually after i have a run in with a rock and needing a bit of material to be removed) As far as carbide size, i run stihl chains on my saw, so id want to go with 13/64th right?

Yup, it's what I got for my Stihl chains.

Santa threw one of these down the chimney yesterday. I set down and sharpend a bunch of chains today. Setup was straight forward ( watched the video) It took awhile to fix a couple of chains but it brought them back from the dead. I only made a couple of cuts, it cut very well until I hit some frozen sand that I didn't see:msp_mad:But so far so good.

Santa threw one of these down the chimney yesterday. I set down and sharpend a bunch of chains today. Setup was straight forward ( watched the video) It took awhile to fix a couple of chains but it brought them back from the dead. I only made a couple of cuts, it cut very well until I hit some frozen sand that I didn't see:msp_mad:But so far so good.

Try using it with a battery drill at low speed yet?

Beats hand filing .... ( I am no master filer, I can touch up a half dozen times by hand before needing a jig. )

Still needs a decent jig for raker height.

Other than that, great tool that will pay itself off. I've done close to a hundred sharpenings with little wear on the sharpening bit.

Just picked this puppy up, what a nicely machined tool! Definitely high quality and well thought out! I have yet to truly try it out (current chains have been rocked and hand filed, too much effort to get everything straightened out) but i did briefly mount it on the saw and see how it works, and im pretty excited to try it out! Will go through this round of chain and retire them as stumping/dirty wood chains and start sharpening with the timberline with some fresh Stihl RS. Heres 2 pics i snapped quick.

3FE51E5F.jpg

D8CB623F.jpg

That is a well made unit. I was wondering if that device worked on the depth link in any way. I don't have one yet, been getting my reloading equipment going again, but I'll have one. These files have gotten old, plus I'm just not good enough with um.

That is a well made unit. I was wondering if that device worked on the depth link in any way. I don't have one yet, been getting my reloading equipment going again, but I'll have one. These files have gotten old, plus I'm just not good enough with um.

If by depth link you mean rakers, then no.

I don't know how you guys get away with working on saws in the kitchen or why you would even want to :dizzy:

Funny you say that. I was just going to comment...that's exactly what I did when I got mine about a month ago, news papers and all. When the garage is unheated and its 10 degrees outside, you have to find a way to play with your new toys!!

Bert......I use the term depth links because I was reading the new instructions for the 250 and the book called them "depth gauges". I hardly ever get the correct term.

I don't know how you guys get away with working on saws in the kitchen or why you would even want to :dizzy:

case halves in the oven, air filter in the sink, side covers in the dishwasher. I'm beginning to think I need to move my tools into the kitchen

If by depth link you mean rakers, then no.

It would be the last thing I ever did, wife would kill me. dead.... But then I heat the shop with my Hardy boiler and it stays about 65.

I have one of those Timberlines and really like it.

Been thinking about this sharpener for a while now. I may decide to get one to go along with my new saw. Are there any retail stores or dealers that carry this product or does it have to be bought online?

How many times can you sharpen, lets say a 25" chain before the cutter needs to be replaced. How much quicker is this vs. hand filing? I realize the first time you use it, it will take some time to get everything set up right.

Sorry if these questions have already been answered, didn't feel like reading through every post.

Latest posts

Back