New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this thing takes off for Phil. I ordered mine and got it from Idaho to PA in 2 days!

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, busy with the farm tractor issues and getting my chipper running but it's raining today so I might find time to try it out.

I,m a fan. If you have a bunch of chains in good shape, and touched them up on a regular basis, the carbide bit looks like it would last for years. I'm going back through an inventory of old chains that are in very poor shape, and the sharpener is doing a great job so far. Once I get everything back to spec, I expect to touch up any of them in less then five minutes.

I,m a fan. If you have a bunch of chains in good shape, and touched them up on a regular basis, the carbide bit looks like it would last for years. I'm going back through an inventory of old chains that are in very poor shape, and the sharpener is doing a great job so far. Once I get everything back to spec, I expect to touch up any of them in less then five minutes.

Great post Jim. I was thinkin the same thing. The carbide puts it at a perfect angle and as sharp as factory, but I can get them a little sharper with a save edge file.

My grandfather used to sharpen all our chains. I should have paid more attention and learned the knack of it. He used it as a reason to take a break, so I'd grab another saw and keep cutting. We would work all day like that. He was a really good grandfather, and a great guy. I should have known he was doing more than just taking a break. #1 thing with a chainsaw, other than clean fuel, is a sharp chain.

#1 thing with a chainsaw, other than clean fuel, is a sharp chain.

+1

Different things work for different people. Some guys hand file, some use file guides, some use (different types of) grinders, some use Dremels, some take them in and have someone sharpen it for them, and some throw chains out when they get dull. Glad to hear that this device is the answer for some. Look forward to seeing it in person sometime.

Philbert

Last edited:
Got mine today based on the reviews here. Ordered it Monday got here today not bad from Idaho to NC. Haven't tried it yet, but I have a question about the optional guides. I need to use the 25 degree cut angle. Is there a foolproof way to know which way to put in the guides so they are at the right angle?

That was one of my first problems I saw with the attachments, they need to be marked better.

i would like to see a video of a chainsaw cutting after a sharpening from this guide.:msp_smile:

Man, I should have done this. My old XL925 could barely burn it's way thru a 6" branch, when I got it back from the shop. I parked it and ordered the sharpener. Now it rips thru the 20" main trunk.

I am the 250th customer to order

I ordered mine yesterday, and I am order number 250! I am looking forward to getting the product and to write my own review. Paul

Got mine today.. Took about 4 days to ship to SW Indiana. to remove the bit when not in uses. Also would have also liked to have seen some allen wrench's with the package to keep in the tool pouch for quick changing of the bit. Kinda of a pain getting the handle w/bit installed back into the small front pocket, very tight fit, may just have

But overall it looks like a good, and well built tool.

I received one yesterday. Have not used it yet, but hoping it will be easier on my hurtin' hands.

I remembered this concern about the handle and with the bit on it. I took a small piece of gas tubing and put it over the carbide so as not to cut the case over time. Also I found that the handle with the carbide fits into the larger pocket fine. I then put in the jig, and seem to have plenty of room.

I received one yesterday. Have not used it yet, but hoping it will be easier on my hurtin' hands.

I remembered this concern about the handle and with the bit on it. I took a small piece of gas tubing and put it over the carbide so as not to cut the case over time. Also I found that the handle with the carbide fits into the larger pocket fine. I then put in the jig, and seem to have plenty of room.

Good point about the handel, and yes.. a cover (or some kind of protector) for the bit is a must in my eye's. I probably just store it in a old dremel bit tube when not in use. I'll be keeping this tool in my chain saw tool box (a old ammo box) and I'm concerned the bit will get chipped bouncing around in the box when hunting for wood.

Question about technique

I've been using the sharpener for about 3 weeks and it seems to be doing a good job. However; after sharpening the chain today, I noticed that the "front" cutters as you look at the device are longer than the back ones. Has anyone else noticed this and if not what am I doing wrong? I have never sharpened a chain by hand so I am trying to learn. Also, I have used the sharpener on this chain between 5-10 times. Any help in perfecting my technique is welcome.

and yes.. a cover (or some kind of protector) for the bit is a must in my eye's. . . . I'm concerned the bit will get chipped bouncing around in the box when hunting for wood.

I don't have one of these set-ups, but for other cutting tools, I have used a short length of clear, plastic tubing, sold by the foot at most hardware stores, to protect the edges. You can sometimes get a custom fit by heating up the tubing (hot water or heat gun) and forcing it on the first time.

For files, I use plastic drinking straws from McDonalds or wherever.

Philbert

I've been using the sharpener for about 3 weeks and it seems to be doing a good job. However; after sharpening the chain today, I noticed that the "front" cutters as you look at the device are longer than the back ones. Has anyone else noticed this and if not what am I doing wrong? I have never sharpened a chain by hand so I am trying to learn. Also, I have used the sharpener on this chain between 5-10 times. Any help in perfecting my technique is welcome.

Looks can be deceiving. Have you actually measured them? If so how much diff.?

Setting up the sharpener

I got the sharpener and have used it a little bit. First thing is the glue that holds the pad against the bar is not very good, ours was in the carry case not connected anymore. secoond we haven't firgured out correct set-up to be able to sharpen both side in sequence. Any tips? After we have more time to play with it I will have a better review to put on here.

Latest posts

Back