New Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Rockstock" is his name on this site. Real name Phil. I have found him to quite accommodating. Talked to him on the phone a couple of times, as well as email.

He even sent me a new pawl at no charge, because I was going to mod the one I have.

Yes, there is a small learning curve, but even myself, being an addle-brained old guy, managed to figure it out.

No, it is not perfect as far as fitting all chains, but definitely worth the time to figure out what works for you.

Yes, it does produce a nice sharp tooth. Much easier on my hurtin' hands than a file.

My sentiments appear to be the same as "MacLaren" - The results are worth a little tinkering around.

"Rockstock" is his name on this site. Real name Phil. I have found him to quite accommodating. Talked to him on the phone a couple of times, as well as email.

He even sent me a new pawl at no charge, because I was going to mod the one I have.

Yes, there is a small learning curve, but even myself, being an addle-brained old guy, managed to figure it out.

No, it is not perfect as far as fitting all chains, but definitely worth the time to figure out what works for you.

Yes, it does produce a nice sharp tooth. Much easier on my hurtin' hands than a file.

My sentiments appear to be the same as "MacLaren" - The results are worth a little tinkering around.

Bingo.

I keep hearing it's a global economy and the world is shrinking. Why is this international shipping such a big deal? I have zero experience with this, but am willing to take a flyer, just to learn a lesson, if nothing else. If anybody knows how to arrange shipping, calculate cost, and wants to send me the money. I will order the sharpener and send it to you. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, but it can't be that freakin hard to get done. I might charge a little for gas money, but will do this for pretty much free. A little of my time isn't worth all that much.:smile2:

Works Great

Tried mine out today. I tried it on the stihl361 with a 20" stihl full chisle chain. The chain had been on a while with at least 1 trip to the saw shop for a grind on it. It has had several filings since then and was very dull and cutting way left (hit the dirt a few times while learning how to noodle).

After setting the sharpener on the bar and learning how to set it to a tooth a couple times, I was off and making some shavings around the chain. Simple directions and very direct. I started on the right side teeth and found I couldn't get the left side teeth to sinc with them. I found it easier to go around the chain sharpening all rights, and then adjust for the lefts, then go around sharpening all the lefts. The teeth were so uneven and crooked that I went ahead and hit them 3 times. First 2 times just to straighten things out so I didn't have to adjust for uneven teeth lengths. The 3rd time was just to make sure all was even and sharp (didn't need third time around the chain). I would guess it took me 30-40 minutes tops. That's putting saw in vise, opening package, reading simple instructions, sharpen chain, and then un-vise and walk through the door heading to the woodpile.

At the wood pile...The first log I came to with a round sticking out, ready to cut was an 18" ash. Eased into it and found real quick that the 361 was pulling into the log hard. So I wound her up and she cut fast and straight through. I was smiling big time!! I then went to finish cutting a 22-24" pin oak (with a 20" bar). After cutting the first 2 rounds...I found myself laughing!! The saw only had a half tank of gas, and I cut 1-16"ash round, 13-22"oak rounds, and at least 10-half noodled 22"+ oak rounds. And she still had gas left too. The saw cut like it had a new chain, if not then it was too close for me to call. I liked it !!!
:msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

That was all the wood that was laid out so I shut down and started digging out all the dull chains I could find. Got 8-9 chains to sharpen (20"-36"). At $.30 per tooth, I think this thing will pay for itself pretty quick. I'll be pretty quick with this thing when I get them all done. With some practice, I can't see using the timberline sharpener as being much slower than giving a good filing, if at all.

I'm very impressed so far!!!
Thanx to all for there insight!
:msp_thumbsup::blob2::msp_thumbsup:

Last edited:
The teeth were so uneven and crooked that I went ahead and hit them 3 times. First 2 times just to straighten things out so I didn't have to adjust for uneven teeth lengths. The 3rd time was just to make sure all was even and sharp (didn't need third time around the chain).

So you sharpened the chisels 3 times from an already blunt chain and didnt have to knock anything off the rakers , and it cut well?

amazing, the rakers must have been set VERY deep beforehand!

Dozerman, if you go back a few pages, you will see I had almost the exact same experience. I had to rehab some chains, sharpened {yeah right} by someone else. Made a huge difference. This tool is not perfect, but what is? Heather Graham. You can do your own chains, better then all but the best. After you've gone through all your chains, keeping them good is quick and easy. I have not had to touch the rakers yet, thats how bad my guy in town was doing.

The chain that I hit 3 times was in sad shape from me using a file on it too many times(too many times in the dirt). Once you set the sharpener to sharpen a tooth, sharpen that tooth and move on to next one. My problem was that I would go 4 or 5 teeth and have to readjust the backstop for a tooth. Once I readjusted I felt the need to go around and make them all even. It all sounds like I was taking a lot of "meat" off of the teeth, but I wasn't. I set everything up to take the minimun to start with. And as for the rakes, I use full chisle stihl chain, which had been sharpened professionally at a local shop not too long ago. I'm sure they keep the rakes within specs. I know I'm not very good with a hand file, therefore I only file to touchup or to get a sawchain cutting straight again. Btw, I will prob hit the rakes on the next full sharpen of this chain. It doesn't need it yet, It pulls into the tree very hard...and I love that fealing!!!:msp_smile::msp_smile::msp_smile:

Another observation...if you are digging out old chains to sharpen, make sure to inspect them carefully before sharpening. I got 3/4 of the way around what seemed like a descent chain when I got to the link that spread wide enough that I could almost push it apart by hand. The chain also had a good amount of stretch to it too, so it hit the scrap pile.
The carbide on these sharpeners have a limited lifespan, don't waist it on junk chains!!!

Just tried to order one with the promo code "30off". It says 30off is not a valid code.....???

Just tried to order one with the promo code "30off". It says 30off is not a valid code.....???

It may not be valid any longer. Call Oregon and find out. I would tell him you are with AS. It may get ya the 30 off promo.

promo code

You can send a personal message to "Rockstock" for a current promo code. You can find him on page 2 of this thread. He only gave me 25 off (promo code 25off). He gave a very quick return message.

I thought one of Rockstock's posts suggested that the ability to do 0 degrees was "on the horizon". I read the whole thread after that, but didn't see any mention of this again, and Phil seems to have stopped posting in the thread. Since quite a few guys here seemed to have been in touch, has anyone heard more on this front ? I haven't learned how to file yet, and would prefer not to - at least until I am finished milling some logs before snow starts falling.,,

haven't heard

I thought one of Rockstock's posts suggested that the ability to do 0 degrees was "on the horizon". I read the whole thread after that, but didn't see any mention of this again, and Phil seems to have stopped posting in the thread. Since quite a few guys here seemed to have been in touch, has anyone heard more on this front ? I haven't learned how to file yet, and would prefer not to - at least until I am finished milling some logs before snow starts falling.,,

You could send him a pm. He answered me pretty quick. I don't know much at all about milling with a chainsaw (seen it once). Are "milling chains" 0 degree??
I've seen the offsets that set the sharpener at different degrees...25 or 35 I believe. After using the timberline, I don't know if it would be possible to make a "0 degree" insert adapter. On the other hand, I could be very wrong too. Never thought about it till I read your post.

I would definately send him a personal message, I'm sure he will answer you quickly. Let us know what he says too.

i give up

a kind member told me how to order one of these now it wont take my order:mad:

Back