New chain wont turn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've replaced the sprocket and it''s alot better except now and then when i'm moving the chain round by hand it feels like its catching on something. Anyone know what this might be? I've checked the bar and chain for burs. Or will it go away once the bar gets oil?
The old sprocket may have peened the drive links on the old chain which may cause issues with either the new sprocket or the old bar. Put the bar & chain on without the clutch cover (use washers as necessary for spacers) and watch / see where it is hanging up.

The old sprocket may have peened the drive links on the old chain which may cause issues with either the new sprocket or the old bar. Put the bar & chain on without the clutch cover (use washers as necessary for spacers) and watch / see where it is hanging up.

I've found burrs on drive links resisting an easy slide through the bar. SteveSr's terminology of a peened drive link may be the same thing.
It's easy to remove the burr with the same flat file you use to file the depth gauges.
Easiest way to find the burr is to remove chain, and feel each DL. One burred DL in 72 takes patience to find.

Latest posts

Back