New chipper advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodydave

Reaction score
Hi guys - i'm new here and need some advice on what chipper is best for me.

i'm thinking i don't want anything too big, a lot of the material i'm chipping isn't much bigger than 7" and the closer i can get the chipper to where the material is the better i guess

i'm thinking Bandit 75 or even 65, seems to be a good tool. Or one of the smaller Vermeers, what do you guys think? anyone got any feedback on how these machines perform? or would you go bigger?

Cheers

If by "smaller Vermeers" you mean a 625 and the like, I would tell you to not go there. Had one for years, very slow, feed system was horrid, when I sold it at 450 hours had the beginnings of rod knock. Motor not suited to the application. Can't speak much about the Bandit, though the dual feed wheels seem like a great idea.

If by "smaller Vermeers" you mean a 625 and the like, I would tell you to not go there. Had one for years, very slow, feed system was horrid, when I sold it at 450 hours had the beginnings of rod knock. Motor not suited to the application. Can't speak much about the Bandit, though the dual feed wheels seem like a great idea.

Thanks, that's helpful, what did you upgrade to after the 625? what are you doing with your machine, general domestic arboriculture like me? do you keep larger timber for firewood, what size do you chip upto? seems a bit crazy getting something too big when i keep the larger timber

Bandit makes a really nice machine. I have a 1390xp; it's too large for your use but I went from Vermeer to bandit and I love it.

Same boat here. I went from a vermeer 625 to a bandit 200. I love my bandit and was very happy the day I sold the 625.

I've put >1500 hours on my Bandit 65 w. diesel engine.
If it wears out before I do, I'd replace it with another Bandit.

Woodydave-I was using the machine for general chipping, and also rented it out quite a bit to tree companies in need of a chipper. No one liked it, but it was reliable. It would chip up to anything that would fit in the 6x6 opening, just turn the feed rate way down and keep knives sharp. I sold it and a 630B stump grinder at the same time, used the proceeds to buy a 372, never replaced the chipper. Buddy of mine bought a 40 hp 9" Gravely, diesel, under 400 hours for 5500. It's 3 times quicker than my 625, he got a smokin deal. Kind of looking out a deal like that.

Back