New clutch ID smaller and chain won't stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquared

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I purchased a replacement clutch drum for my old Poulan Super 25. It is Oregan part 28006 and after double checking with sales @ Baileys, it is the correct one for the saw.

With the saw idling correctly the chain wont stop moving. Has anyone run across something like this before?

The Bailey's tech suggested weak springs, but this clutch has 2-straight springs on the shoes and I don't think they are worn out. I measured the ID of both clutches and the new one is .030" smaller than the old one. My old drum does not have a 1/32 worn out of it. It looks like a poor job of reverse engineering, or a missed dimension at the manufacturer.

A clutch from another manufacturer might do the trick, but I don't know how many make drums for a saw this old and most dealers don't want to screw around for a $10.00 part. If anyone has a new clutch drum on the shelf that you can measure I'd appreciate it. I need at last 2.696" internal diameter.

You may have that much ware on the old drum? Make sure everything is seated right, and a clutch shoe is not off-center a little? Cautiously do a little cutting with it to see is it comes around?

or.... Why not try a new set of springs?

If it is free-wheeling well engine-off, the springs could be week enough to spin the chain.

Last edited:
You may have that much ware on the old drum? Make sure everything is seated right, and a clutch shoe is not off-center a little? Cautiously do a little cutting with it to see is it comes around?

or.... Why not try a new set of springs?

If it is free-wheeling well engine-off, the springs could be week enough to spin the chain.

I removed the springs and they were worn on both ends and the middle. It allowed the shoes to sit farther out with the engine off, which required less travel to contact the drum when running.

I reversed them and it idles ok w/o chain travel but it's close. They are thinner where they contact the center support so they're weaker than new ones. I'll try to find replacements, or make them from spring stock if I have to.

Thanks guys!

Howdy,
We have 2 of those clutch springs in stock. As far as I can tell, they are now obsolete from the manufacturer. There not listed on the web, so you'll have to call. It's item#
530 02 33 81 CLUTCH SPRING (S-25) $2.88

I purchased a replacement clutch drum for my old Poulan Super 25. It is Oregan part 28006 and after double checking with sales @ Baileys, it is the correct one for the saw.

With the saw idling correctly the chain wont stop moving. Has anyone run across something like this before?

The Bailey's tech suggested weak springs, but this clutch has 2-straight springs on the shoes and I don't think they are worn out. I measured the ID of both clutches and the new one is .030" smaller than the old one. My old drum does not have a 1/32 worn out of it. It looks like a poor job of reverse engineering, or a missed dimension at the manufacturer.

A clutch from another manufacturer might do the trick, but I don't know how many make drums for a saw this old and
most dealers don't want to screw around for a $10.00 part.
If anyone has a new clutch drum on the shelf that you can measure I'd appreciate it. I need at last 2.696" internal diameter.

thats cause they dont believe in customer support like i do mr foster in mn can tell you that about me in the testimonials on my store besides i have Poulan obsolete S25 parts 3400 306A and so on that is why the color is in red letters on my sig ad

Last edited:
Howdy,
We have 2 of those clutch springs in stock. As far as I can tell, they are now obsolete from the manufacturer. There not listed on the web, so you'll have to call. It's item#
530 02 33 81 CLUTCH SPRING (S-25) $2.88

Thanks Grand dog. I was coming up empty surfing for these springs. I ordered them.

A.S. comes through again.!!

Lawnmowertech37 I'll keep you in mind.

Latest posts

Back