New Dayton/Poulan 2Z463B/245SA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGBORE577

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got another freebie out of my buddies shop today. It's a Dayton 2Z463B which is a re-badged Poulan 245SA. It was sitting down there for a year waiting for the customer to come back and pick it up. The ticket said it had a scored cylinder, the customer did not want to pay for the repairs but, never came back for it. I popped the muffler off and sure enough the piston was pretty rough on the exhaust side skirt. The cylinder was nice and clean and the rings looked fine and moved freely. I shot some mix in the carb and it fired right up. I then pulled the carb and sure enough, the diaphragm was like a board. After the new carb kit was installed and the fuel line replaced, it fired up and runs great. I guess I can understand why they thought the scored cylinder was the cause for it not running. Also, from a business perspective, I can see why they didn't wish to go through everything to get it going again. I'm sure the cost to repair it, if at all, would have been prohibitive and take away time for other more lucrative repair jobs. I've read here about some of the older reed valve saws not being so sensitive to piston scoring and have experienced it myself on some other saws. Well this one sure fits that bill and might even take the cake in that department. I think the damage may have been caused by some broken away carbon build up but, I guess I will never know and can only speculate. I do know it is one of those torque monsters that are spoken of here even though it is not really a very big saw. I also know I'm very happy I have it. It reminds me of a Homelite 1050 that got shrunk in the wash. The only other things wrong are that it's missing the air filter and the tank vent was rotted away. I put a call into Modifiedmark because I know he works on these older Poulans. He walked me through the retro of the Homelite Duck Bill, which I had, into the cap and it worked like a charm. Thanks Mark! Anyway, I got another one resurrected from the junk heap even though I need it like another hole in the head, Again, I really do like it because it reminds me of a 1050. Now I just have to find an air filter. I've attempted to take some pictures of it but, I'm pretty new at the whole picture thing and hope you can see the images OK. Keep in mind that this is exactly how the saw looked when I received it, I have not even cleaned it up. I'm actually feeling a tad guilty about landing a nice saw for only the price of a carb kit, Duck Bill, an air filter and the time to put them in. Ahh, I'll get over it.

I have owned alot of 245 and 306 and they are 1 tough saw. U will probably be running that saw for a long long time judging the shape it is in.

Jay, glad you got that thing rounded up! That sure is a clean ole saw, and I'm glad you got a runner.

Go through that thing in some wood, your going to be surprised, they run good.

Not many made in those days thats as good as that one.

You know I just have to add that most people don't realize that the 245A was a good strong 4.5 ci, 75cc saw that weigh's 13lbs PHO.

Thats right, 75cc's at the same weight as a Stihl MS290.

This ought to stir things up....

Latest posts

Back