New Favorite Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got a MS880. That's not my new favorite but man that thing is a handfull. By getting the 880 I was able to take the 36" bar off ms MS460 Mag. I put a 24inch bar on it. Man that thing is a runner with that bar. I have had the saw for 3 years and have only run it with the 36" bar. I cut up a big maple today and quartered most of the blocks with the 460. I ran through 7 tanks of fuel. That is a great saw. I wish I would have got the 880 sooner. Now I'm thinking what if I had this thing woods ported. Hmmmm. Have to wait a while I have spent enough money for a while.

Scott

Have you tried an 8 pin on your 460 w/ the 24"? If not, you gotta! It's like shifting into overdrive - you'll really throw some chips! The 460 will pull it with no problem. (You do have the dual port cover, don't you?)

I'm having saw envy - that 880 has got to rock! Congrats

So you bought a big saw for your big bar and woke up your midrange saw.

A 36" bar on the MS460 was probably pushing it. The 24" bar probably feels just right. There are a few guys on the forum that would tell you to keep it under 20" for top performance.

Enjoy your new saws.

Don

So you bought a big saw for your big bar and woke up your midrange saw.

A 36" bar on the MS460 was probably pushing it. The 24" bar probably feels just right. There are a few guys on the forum that would tell you to keep it under 20" for top performance.

Enjoy your new saws.

Don

I run 20" stihl ES bars on my 440 and 460. And my 385 and my 066 are my 24" saws. Although it seems that my 460 wants more, so I'm thinking of putting a 8 tooth rim on it.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw: :clap: :cheers:

Back