New fish in the trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannoneer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy!

In September of last year, I found myself back in Central Florida after several years in the US Army, wondering what to do with myself.

I served a year and some change in Baghdad, and my entire outlook on life in general was completely changed. The best I could figure, I didn't want to work in any sort of office, as I enjoyed hard work outdoors, and frankly, wasn't up for any of that office-rat sissy BS. As long as I can remember, I've always had calloused hands and dirty boots.

My brother has been in the arboriculture industry for years, and he got me a job as a groundsman for a local tree company here, right after all those hurricanes.

Needless to say, my job was cut out for me.

The tree company I work for has the policy of trying to flat-out kill new ground guys, just to see how tough and determined they are to keep the job. So, my second day on the job, I was stuck in a backyard with twenty-odd pines and oaks for removal and chipping. I got yelled at, hit by falling limbs, and generally felt as if I was going to die, the entire day.

The only thing I had going for me was the fact that I can speak some fairly fluent redneck spanish, so I was able to ask my Guatemalan co-workers for help when I was faced with something I didn't understand.

After I learned how to 'sled' brush and stay the hell away from the killzone under the climber, I was alright. I was bruised, battered, cut up, scratched, sunburnt, ant-stung, and exhausted, but I was alright.

And I thought the Army was tough.

This month, I became the climber/foreman for a crew, with my own chipper truck, climbing gear, and access to a bucket truck.

I love this job!

Since I'm still fairly inexperienced, I make mistakes, but they are becoming less and less frequent.

The friday before last, I managed to get my buckstrap around the falling half of a Washingtonian Palm tree, and I got crushed just a little bit. Ouch.

I removed a tree that had fallen onto a rickety porch and I miscalculated by two feet, taking out the corner of a screen-enclosure.

I've been reading every book on tree biology, tree pruning practices, ANSI safety standards, rigging, everything that I can get my oak-stained hands on.

The excitement I feel while flopping the top of a big-ole pine tree isn't quite the same as getting AK47 rounds sprayed at me and emptying my 240b, but I'm not bored, that's for sure!

I get to meet some pretty cool people, both as customers and in the industry, and I enjoy the neighborhood senoritas coming out to watch me monkey around in the trees.

I enjoy the outdoors, I enjoy my bad-ass Guatemalan groundsmen, I enjoy coming home from work every day knowing that I actually accomplished something.

So, to make a long post a little bit shorter, I would just like to say that I have the utmost respect for you old codgers who've been doing this for decades, without all the fancy newfangled equipment and modern ropes.

I get angry at the amateurs making the professionals look bad by needlessly spiking trees, topping beautiful oaks, snubbing limbs while "pruning", and mutilating Florida's trees in order to turn a quick buck.

I'm still learning, but one of these days, I hope to be as f^*%$ing squared away as you gentlemen, and I hope to be doing this for as long as I'm physically able.

Rock on,

Mac

Welcome to the site, Mac. Grab a cold one and have a look around. There's a lot to learn here.

BTW, if you get tired of your current gig, look me up. I'm just north of Tampa and currently in need of a new climber/foreman. :blob2:

Thanks for introducing yourself properly. Pull up a chair and have a look around. I think we know who you are. We love noobs here. Use the search function to find answers to just about anything, or go ahead and ask away.

Ya sound like you dig gravity and friction. That's a good thing. How are you handling friction? What's your ascent method?

By the sounds of your first day; it must have been hell. Reminded me of working for my dad. You sure you weren't working in Naples?J/k

Anyhow-Glad to have you. Welcome to AS. It's a great place to stay current and learn some new tricks too.

I think you should go for the apprenticeship with Treeman14. An apprenticeship is where you pay your teacher $14 an hour, and you buy the beer at the end of the day. You'll be an indentured servant for 4 weeks, bustin your hump, but you'll like it.

HOOAH! Welcome to AS. I can understand trying to weed out weak groundsmen, but they were dropping branches on you?! I would have felt obligated to punch somebody in the face. Well, enjoy AS. Lotsa good stuff here dude. :)

Gravity and friction are my two best friends / worst enemies.

My ascent method is one of the following:

Ladder to the lowest branch, clip my climbing line to my harness, and monkey up the tree, using my buckstrap occasionally for safety.

Throwball to the highest branch, and walk up the tree or do the famed "air-hump". I recently learned how to footlock, so I doubt I'll be airhumping too much anymore.

Jump and grab the lowest branch, if possible, and climb to the top of the tree where I emplace my climbing line. This is by far the fastest way to get up a tree.

I can also spike, but I hardly ever get to to this except to pines. I'm so light that it's usually faster to throw a rope up there and pull myself up anyways.

It depends on the tree.

As far as handling friction, I prefer KY or... Um. You mean rope-friction. I never cross ropes, I use a cambium saver or a pulley when time allows, and I use friction wraps to lower large limbs without sucking my groundsmen up a tree. Had that happen to me a couple of times, and now I get at least one wrap regardless of what the climber "thinks" I can handle. I would prefer not to wrap rope around a tree that's not getting taken down, but I don't have the cash to pony up for one of those portawraps as of yet.

The climber wasn't intentionally dropping branches on me, but I was so green that I didn't realize that just because the climbing isn't using his chainsaw doesn't mean I can drag brush through the killzone.

BTW, Never been to Camp Bucca, but I was often at Muleskinner and I was based out of Camp Marlboro, Al Sadr City, and An Najaf for a month or so.

And I'll think I'll pass on the apprenticeship for now. heh. I'm accustomed to my employer buying the beer so I don't come into his office wielding an 020 and start cutting up his desk for firewood.

Central Florida, in a little city called Winter Springs, NE of Orlando proper.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm glad I found this site. I'll be sure and be a frequent visitor.

Mac

cannoneer said:
Only if I get to do tree work for brothels, sorority houses, and breweries only.

Mac

Actually, we've got some regular accounts in a few of the local nudist resorts. Land O'Lakes, FL is supposedly the nudist capital of the US, or so I've heard. If you think I'm kidding, do a Google search for "nudist Land O'Lakes FL". You'll get about 8,000 hits.

Cannoneer, Welcome to AS. Free advice that is actually worth more than it costs-stop freeclimbing to the top and then tying in. -I used to do it to but it isn't worth the risks. Use a split tail system of some sort and your lanyard, or 2 lanyards,or a doublended lanyard (more than one way to skin this cat) and alternate your way up so that you are ALWAYS secured.

Stumper said:
Free advice that is actually worth more than it costs-stop freeclimbing .
Ditto that. As a former :Monkey: , I'm here to tell you it's a lot easier being always secured. As for spikes, they have no place on trees you're pruning.

DO have fun, and keep your head clear and positive. And think about Brett's offer; you have a lot to learn and he's got a lot to show you. Plus he makes a ton of money, so when you get really good you can make a lot more than at your present company.

Except for those first couple of branches, I am secured using this newfangled buckstrap I have. It's a long piece of rope with a carabiner on either end, and a prusik with a carabiner in the center, so I can clip the other side before I disconnect the first side. It's very handy.

And I NEVER use spikes on any tree that I'm not removing, including palms.

Sorry for not making that clear, and thank you very much for the advice. The majority of what I know was taught to me by a gentleman who was recovering from a broken back due to falling from a tree, so I am very cautious. If he heard that I'm out there freeclimbing without at least ONE rope, he'd hunt me down and break my as$ off with a 66 bar.

I get mauled at least once a week by something (bees or pine bark or scorpions or washingtonian fronds or other random acts of God), the last thing I need is to fall out of a tree.

Your advice is much appreciated and I always listen to folks who've done it longer than me. Anything else would be stupid.

Mac

cannoneer said:
freeclimbing without at least ONE rope,
Mmmm, to me, "freeclimbing" means not using a rope. I like to use a telescoping polesaw to advance my rope, and a slingshot on the big trees. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that you are secured after you leave the ladder. We don't want you to be another statistic.

And welcome back to civilian life. I'd be glad to see the rest of the forces back here on the homefront, too, real soon.

cannoneer said:
The majority of what I know was taught to me by a gentleman who was recovering from a broken back due to falling from a tree, so I am very cautious. If he heard that I'm out there freeclimbing without at least ONE rope, he'd hunt me down and break my as$ off with a 66 bar.

That wouldn't by any chance be Brian, would it? :Eye:

stehansen said:
Thank you for your service in Iraq, and welcome.
Yes, collectively even, we can't thank you enough.
14 said:
That wouldn't by any chance be Brian, would it?
Brian aka Rocky J Squirrel. I just got a very kind note from him the day before yesterday. Rocky's alive and well.

Latest posts

Back