New Ford saw running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Ford saws were made in the early 70's. I heard they started out giving them to people who purchased a new ford tractor. My grandfather bought 3 of them new for 225.00 from our local ford dealer in 1974. They were tring to get rid of them because they had been sitting around for a few years. He gave one to my dad and one to my uncle and kept the 3rd one. the mix was 16:1 if I remember correctly. 14 in bar. Saws run well but the air filter would plug up after cutting for about an hour or so. If I had to use it all the time I wouldnt want it but your picture brings back alot of good memories. I would'nt mine having one just to set on the shelf and look at.

Looks good! Glad to know it's up and running.

And I thank you sir!

I think it will fit in around here fine. It was a little bit of a challange figureing out how to get it going again but it was worth the effort to me.

Ricky your right, I don't think they were ever much of a work saw, but it will be fun to fire up now and then and to show off to my Ford buddies.

I took it up to my uncles today who is recently retired from Ford and he just loved it.

Mark here is the Western Auto Wizzard by Orline. I included the air filter picts. After going back and checking out your pictures, they are not the same. Mine has the auto throttle trigger oil pump and compression release on the rear of the saw. Also you have to take one side of the top handle off to get to the carb and air filter. I still think that your Ford should use this type of filter. It looks like yours has a Walbro carb?
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Very interesting to say the least.

That looks to be very close to the same saw but a little different.

My Ford looks just like the Mark II that Cliff posted. Do you know the Orline model name for that one?

Could it be the Mark I ?

Scooter, that ones cool also, I guess I need one of them now!

Jake I raced them Fords for many years also. Won my share. :clap:

Lee, I could be wrong I guess, you don't seem like a yuppie! :cheers:

Cliff, thanks for posting those pictures, and it looks like the air filter is mostly original.

I cant make out what is between the 2 plates though that mine seems to be missing.

Mark, On the one I had, bottom piece of filter was foam? with a wire mesh that went next to the carb, & then a fabric piece [looked like MAX FLO] top plate was alloy with lots of holes drilled, & 2 tube bushes approx5/16-3/8 long to stop the filter being crushed. Swapped it for a Pioneer P26 cause it was always such a b***** to start hot, & I never did find out why

Thanks Al, I know that my filter is not right, but I will get to it one of these days. Its just been sitting on the shelf looking pretty since I started this thread.

That was mainly my intentions for this one from the beginning but I do know that all it needs is gassed up and it will run.

Joe, I think word has it that Orline made engines for remote control airplanes, and the engine on this looks that way, the way it just bolts into the case.

Yep, Orlines main product was the little airplane engines. Good lookin little saw! Kind of heavy for the size,if i remember. My granddad had one back in the seventies. Hey if the blue paint clashes with all that green stuff you have you can always ship it to me!!!

Yep, Orlines main product was the little airplane engines. Good lookin little saw! Kind of heavy for the size,if i remember. My granddad had one back in the seventies. Hey if the blue paint clashes with all that green stuff you have you can always ship it to me!!!

Yes, its pretty heavy for its size no doubt about that.

As for the blue clashing, well it does a little but its on the shelf with the red, white and blue Poulan 76 on one side of it with the red Homelite SEZAO on the other to shield it from the lime green ones. It works out that way. :laugh:

I'll bring it with me the next time I get down that way and you can give it a spin if you like for old times sake.

Yes, its pretty heavy for its size no doubt about that.

As for the blue clashing, well it does a little but its on the shelf with the red, white and blue Poulan 76 on one side of it with the red Homelite SEZAO on the other to shield it from the lime green ones. It works out that way. :laugh:

I'll bring it with me the next time I get down that way and you can give it a spin if you like for old times sake.

Yeah that would be fun! Look forward to it!

Back