New fuel line on a XL 925

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a 925 that he hasn't been able to use for a few years due to a bad fuel line.

I found him a new one (w filter) on the net.

Trouble is he can NOT get it pulled (or pushed) into place in the fuel tank.

Is there a trick to this?
I'm pretty certain I got him the correct line.

I told him I would try to get him an answer from you experts here.

Last edited:
If I remember right, I pulled it through from the outside to the inside and then put the filter on it.

Tie a light wire on the end and then thread the wire from the outside to the inside then out through the filler opening.

Been awhile since I done it.

I have a friend who has a 925 that he hasn't been able to use for a few years due to a bad fuel line.

I found him a new one (w filter) on the net.

Trouble is he can NOT get it pulled (or pushed) into place in the fuel tank.

Is there a trick to this?
I'm pretty certain I got him the correct line.

I told him I would try to get him an answer from you experts here.

WD-40 works wonders

part # should be a 65593A
i have about 2 of these on hand as well for $ 8.00 each
just letting you know tell him i have the pistons and rings for that saw if he ever needs one let me know

im probily the only one in the country that has the 925 pistons that has them showing at $ 69.99 each when homelite themselves have them retailed way over 90 bucks

Last edited:
It's very difficult, to say the least. I installed one not too long ago, and ruined one line at my first attempt.

I can't figure out why Homelite went away from screwed-in tank fitting they used on the 700/800 series (and probably others of that vintage). Makes changing lines a heck of a lot easier.

What you can do to make it easier to install is to slightly bevel the outside edge of the hole. It goes in a whole lot easier, but since the inside edge is still square there's no danger of it popping out or leaking. I used a cone shaped bit on a mini die grinder.

On custom line installs it helps to cut the end at a 45 deg angle, if you have a fitted line (probably) cutting the filter end at an angle shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

Considering the ethanol crap gas I would probably try to fit it with Tygon fuel line rather than an NOS piece, and try to make it fit. Not saying an original line won't work, just won't last as long with alchy in the gas IMO.

On custom line installs it helps to cut the end at a 45 deg angle, if you have a fitted line (probably) cutting the filter end at an angle shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

Considering the ethanol crap gas I would probably try to fit it with Tygon fuel line rather than an NOS piece, and try to make it fit. Not saying an original line won't work, just won't last as long with alchy in the gas IMO.

Well I agree with ya, but most of that don't apply here. The tank hole is bigger than the line, so the filter end is no problem to go through the hole.

I just did mine the other day...a little bar oil on the line...and a small flat (blunt) tipped screw driver and careful pressure..and it got it started...then I used a socket and extension and pushed on it until it popped in.

definately a PITA...but it good for years to come now(I hope!)

Latest posts

Back