New grinder blade sharpener Tecomec or Oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duktape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Tecomec fl136 jolly star or a Oregon 520-120, my fist question are these considered a good tool by you guys, second I know they are somewhat affiliated with each other is one better or more preffered? Thanks

I searched some images on those and I liked the one that has a chain fitting with a roller guide in each end and a clamp in the middle for the chain rather than just guide plates on the whole length.
Other than that what is difficult to see from the images is if one or another have end stop adjustments for the grinding disk/motor tilt, so when you return the motor/disk to 90* to adjust the depth gauges you can fine adjust it to stop at exactly 90* or when you tilt it to sharpen the tooth you can fine adjust it to stop at what you want like exactly 50* or whatever.
Not sure if they have such adjustment possibilities but if one of them have it would be preferable.
They probably don't have the 90* adjustment so it will stop just slightly past the 90* mark, but some of these machines might have the tilt end stop adjustment. Not a big deal or problem just something to look for.
Other than that be aware of the classic first mistake; when you have finished one side and dial the chain fitting 60* to sharpen the other side of the chain check the tooth stop adjustment before you start grinding, this adjustment might change a little due to all the moving parts and angles so that it takes away too much of the tooth if you just use the same adjustment.
I would also recommend to watch the Oregon video so you don't overheat the tooth alloy.

Blade Sharpener? That’s a new one to me, all that a side Tecomec makes Oregon grinders so features are going to be the same. I have an Oregon 511A, a Tecomec Super Jolly, and some Silvey grinders. The Super Jolly is nice with the hydraulic vise when I’m doing 15 to 20 chains a week the Oregon has been great for a depth gauge grinder any of these models would work just fine for you most of the curve is learning the setup as well as what you actually need for angles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blade Sharpener? That’s a new one to me, all that a side Tecomec makes Oregon grinders so features are going to be the same. I have an Oregon 511A, a Tecomec Super Jolly, and some Silvey grinders. The Super Jolly is nice with the hydraulic vise when I’m doing 15 to 20 chains a week the Oregon has been great for a depth gauge grinder any of these models would work just fine for you most of the curve is learning the setup as well as what you actually need for angles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding the jolly grinder w hydraulic grip, I was wondering if u ever have trouble w the chain not seating properly before it gets clamped. IOW, do you have to sometimes/never/always use your fingers to make certain it’s down? I ask because sometimes when I pull my chain back against the “locating/resting tab” (right before manually clamping it) the chain will lift up some instead of seat properly. Every few teeth....

That concern is probably the only thing keeping me from purchasing a hydraulic clamping grinder. Any input on that is much appreciated...

Regarding the jolly grinder w hydraulic grip, I was wondering if u ever have trouble w the chain not seating properly before it gets clamped. IOW, do you have to sometimes/never/always use your fingers to make certain it’s down? I ask because sometimes when I pull my chain back against the “locating/resting tab” (right before manually clamping it) the chain will lift up some instead of seat properly. Every few teeth....

That concern is probably the only thing keeping me from purchasing a hydraulic clamping grinder. Any input on that is much appreciated...

I would think it is wise to always press down the link to be sharpened while clamping to make sure it sits firmly down to the guide/clamp, and especially so if it's been some time since the chain have been used and some links may be a little stuck.
Of course if the clamp is positioned above the chain bolts and presses it down to the guide I guess you don't have to. It was like that on my cheap Oregon file guide, that one particular was highly inaccurate and a pain to work with though.
It would be part of the routine on my modified and partly self made sharpener anyway, I also use my finger to clear the dust and feel the cutter to make sure it's not getting hot. It all becomes a sort of quick automatic action pretty quickly.

No I don’t, the only time it’s not open is if the grinding head isn’t fully in the up position. If you’re having issues like that make sure your drivers don’t have a burr or are slightly bent that will cause exactly what you’re describing to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back