New Guy here Just saying Hi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahudson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey, New guy here form south western Ohio. The wife and I bought a house a couple of years ago and paid an arm and leg for propane when we first moved in. I installed a wood stove the next fall and bought wood to burn. Got talking to some of the farms about cutting trees that blow over in the field and got hooked up with a guy that wants every tree off of his property in certain areas.

I then decide that I better pick up a better chain saw to work with. I picked up a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with the 20 inch bar. I have been running the 455 for about a year now to no problems.

Brought home a used stihl 056 AV Magnum II today. She is not getting any spark so not sure what going there but I will keep using the search button cause I already learned a lot with that feature. If I run into problem and I can't find the answer's to I will start a new post up asking questions.

downsized_0317121605a.jpg

Welcome to a fellow Buckeye! Sounds like you have a pretty good chainsaw combo, once you get that Stihl running. Post up your problems with it in the chainsaw forum, they'll have it fixed very quickly.

best of luck,
Matt

Welcome to the madness that is AS. Chainsaw forum is awfully good, with a lot of guys that really know all the little details. I know a couple members who have old 056's and can probably give you more information than you ever wanted! Cut safe out there.

I just wandered in...

Well hey im from the chainsaw section!!

I just did a stihl 056 for a guy a couple weeks ago.
Most of the problems with the stihls 056 ignition system was that they were stuck under the flywheel and by the crank case, which gets to hot and eats the ignition system, espically the Bosch type ignition systems. Now there are two types of ignition systems those saws were fitted with, One the Bosch and two a SEM Ignition. THe SEM ignition system is far better and will last longer. My guess is that your saw is fitted with a bad Bosch system. The main indicator of a ignition coil going on you is if it will run for 20 minutes and you shut it off to take a break and it wont restart and have no spark, but since your saw isnt even running you can disregard the last remark. Your going to have to pull the flywheel and pull your module and replace it with a used one preferably a SEM one. Scooterbum has a couple if i am correct. (hope i didnt step on toes using his user name on here) after you get that new module you can install it and line up the "timing marks on the crankcase, module, and flywheel" and then see if you have spark.
I may be totally wrong and you have a lose spark plug boot or something simple but this is the most likely reason you dont have spark IMHO check the simple things first.
Hope i helpd even though i probably didnt...

Welcome to AS! I agree with mitch95100, except that I would try a new plug, and check over all of the wiring and the kill switch before I pulled the flywheel. Most likely is the coil, but it never hurts to check the simple/cheap stuff first.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have really gotten into cutting wood. I find my self cutting wood every weekend now. I work Monday thru Thursday 10 hr shifts. That gives me plenty of time to get my saw fix!

Welcome to AS. Good stuff offered here already as advice.
Make a post in the chainsaw forum as soon as you get freed up.
You'll find lots of great guys with experience and knowledge to help you!
Happy Sawing!

welcome to AS!

as your initiation, you have to tell us how many pieces of wood in a full cord of wood.:laugh:

Howdy!

hang around here long enough you will want a skidsteer with grapple, dump trailer, conveyor, extra barns, a fleet of trucks, etc..and around lebenty seven saws...

On a serious note, make sure you have personal protection gear before you go much further..chaps, muffs, helmet, boots, whatever

welcome to the asylem .all kidding aside. once you wade through all the bs (which is half the fun ) there is a wealth of info here that is not all that easy to come by

Hi Ahudson. That mag II Stihl almost has a cult following. I hope you get it going. Start with the basics and work inward. They do see a lot of heat. Heh was that the era when all Stihls had a lifetime warranty on the modules? I dunno, might be an option.

Latest posts

Back