New Guy Here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattgus5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post here and I just wanted to introduce myself before I satrted asking all sorts of questions. I know from reading and belonging to another website forum like this (jeepforum.com) that one can gain alot of information from other people who really know what they are talking about. So........first off let me say that I will be getting into the business of stump grinding shortly. My brother owns a residential tree service and is doing very well. I am going to follow behind him and take care of all the stump removals. I will tell you that I am going to be doing this as a side job and this will not be my only source of income. I have been a full time firefighter/medic for the past 9 years. We work 24 hrs on, 24 off, 24 hrs on and then 5 days in a row off. This is every week, so I have plenty of time to work a side job. I also work a couple of nights at a club as a bouncer, but its only for the fun of it. I currently own a 2003 Ford F-350 and plan on using that to haul the grinder. I think I am leaning towards the Rayco RG50. So, basically thats me. Im a good person and not looking to screw anyone over. I plan on making this into a legitimate business. I live in a city of about 50,000. Mostly residential, some rural. My brother says that there is plenty of work to around. So....I am certainly new to all of this and I am going to be asking some newbie type questions here, take that into consideration. Thanks in advance, talk to you all very soon!

Hey Matt,

That RG50 is an awesome stumper. We have one of those along with the RG85 for the big stumps. But if I had to have one it would be the RG50 you can get it into backyards through the gate it is really nice does a great job. Just keep good teeth on it and make sure you grease it often.

ok, first question: this regaurds the purchase of equipment. I have looked at a few different models of grinders. The two that seem to impress me most are the RG50 and one made by Carlton. When I do decide, I am going to have to purchase a used model. I dont want to spend more than 20k (and with low hours), thats my budget. When looking at used models, is there anything in particular that really needs to be looked at in detail? What pertinant questions should be asked of the owner? I know that it seems like I may be trying to start off with a piece of expensive equipment, but, I would hate to purchase something that is too small, underpowered and just plain crappy.

mattgus5 said:
ok, first question: this regaurds the purchase of equipment. I have looked at a few different models of grinders. The two that seem to impress me most are the RG50 and one made by Carlton. When I do decide, I am going to have to purchase a used model. I dont want to spend more than 20k (and with low hours), thats my budget. When looking at used models, is there anything in particular that really needs to be looked at in detail? What pertinant questions should be asked of the owner? I know that it seems like I may be trying to start off with a piece of expensive equipment, but, I would hate to purchase something that is too small, underpowered and just plain crappy.

We started with a new RG50 7 years ago when they first came out.

We like the RG50/85 due to its all hydraulic operation (including the cutterwheel).

Look for the machine to be clean all over. The paint should be good and the hours low. Inspect the cutterwheel for extra wear because the hours might not be right. Look at the air filter and ask questions about maintenance. Ask them about all the fluid changes and such to see if it seems they are telling the truth. If they say they changed the hub oil (not likely on a low hour machine) and the paint over the plug hasnt been broken, then somethings amiss. Also, low hours (in my mind) is realative. Our RG50 has 1400 hours (i think we dont use it nearly as much now) and the RG85 has 1400 hours or so. Low hours should be under 500 I would think.

If the machine has been pressure washed (as it should) then ask to operate it ("demo"). Try to stir up dust to settle on any hyd. leaks.

I would (of course) recommend the RG50 or Super 50. Try and get a 4x4 if you can find one.

www.treetrader.com is a good place to look. I saw several machines that fit your bill in this months issue.

Great, thanks for all the info so far. I have a ton of other stuff I would like to ask, but I dont want to wear out my welcome so soon. I have Tree Trader.com saved on my favorites, will check it out again. Boston, my name is the same on jeepforum.com. Thanks guys! :p

Welcome to ArboristSite, Matt. It sounds like you've the perfect job and the right brotherly connections to launch a successful gig, go for it... and good luck!

Latest posts

Back