New Here, any loggers from the SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAW

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Seth and im a full time student. Thinking about getting into the logging business. Any loggers here from the NC or southeast US? When I get time I work with my Grandad who is a retired tobacco farmer and has been logging on the side for many years. The equipment includes

Chevrolet C70 Single Axle log truck (need a tandem)
Chevy 2500 4X4 Work Truck
John Deere 440B cable skidder
John Deere 548E grapple/cable skidder (recently purchased)
Massey Feurguson Front end Loader
Husquavarna Saws a few 572XPs and a 585

Just wanted to see if anybody had any advise about getting started in the logging business. I know fuel prices are up and the timber prices seem to be falling. Just wanted to see what yall thought about the getting into the business.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
What part of NC are you from? My wife and I may be moving down to the Wilmington area for her job at the university. I myself have a small sawmill and small firewood business up here in Mich. I was curious as to what types of hardwoods might be found around Wilmington. Any info you have would be appreciated. Sorry I can't answer your main question and welcome to the forum. Bill

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Seth and im a full time student. Thinking about getting into the logging business. Any loggers here from the NC or southeast US? When I get time I work with my Grandad who is a retired tobacco farmer and has been logging on the side for many years. The equipment includes

Chevrolet C70 Single Axle log truck (need a tandem)
Chevy 2500 4X4 Work Truck
John Deere 440B cable skidder
John Deere 548E grapple/cable skidder (recently purchased)
Massey Feurguson Front end Loader
Husquavarna Saws a few 572XPs and a 585

Just wanted to see if anybody had any advise about getting started in the logging business. I know fuel prices are up and the timber prices seem to be falling. Just wanted to see what yall thought about the getting into the business.

Thanks for reading

its hard work, its hard to get started, its a hard learning curve, and it is quite seasonal(atleast around here). don't know how the industry work around there or what the rules are on buying timber, but if you are contract cutting for other people you will have to keep a close eye on everything and it takes a bit to get started and getting to know people..im guessing you meant 372's and a 385? college or hs student?

What part of NC? You're in a good position- grandad, equipment, connections. These are all the things you need to make getting going easier. Challenging times make for the best of opportunties. make sure you get some training from a (modern) profesional cutter- I can't believe how some of the old timers I've worked around show me how they cut. Always use a face cut, a hinge, at least. What you're looking for is someone that knows directional felling, bore cutting, and game of logging techniques. But if I knew what kind of timber you'd be working why I'd have a better idea about it. Good luck, if it gets in your blood you'll be hooked, just like the rest of us.

Lots of old timers in the appalachians don't even use a face cut! No wonder our comp rates can be .76 per $1.00

As for wilmington, its really wet. Swamp logging. But, theres some wicked nice mature pine sawtimber in front of every house in the country, almost as big and half as tall as a 38 y.o. doug fir (got to make the west coasters think they're tops), ripe for the pickins for your woodmizer. Good luck, and be patient, I've had to/chosen such moves in the past, miss the hell out of the woods but find your peace inside cause the world's a great place. Make sure to get out to Okracoke Is. for a off season weekend. (or an empty island, even better) Tons of really friendly folks in the south. Nice and country and chill. Lots of old timey ways.

Thanks for all the replies and about the saw sizes I meant we have a few 372xp and a 385.

I live right outside of Greensboro NC and Im a college student.

We have got a good variety of timber: oak, hickory, poplar, long leaf pine, shortleaf pine, beech, sweet gum.

As for Wilmington, its a nice area, hammerlogging was right about it being swampy and its sandy. There is a lot of pine down that way and thats mostly whats down toward the cost but you can still find all the hardwoods i listed oak, hickory, etc. but they majority is pine.

Back