New Husky 3120XP is hard to start, any Ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi, I've been a lurker here for awhile, and have enjoyed the forum, I recently bought a new Husqvarna 3120XP, and it is very hard to start. I followed the instructions in the owners manual (pretty basic), and I just about kill myself pulling on this thing, it has taken 40-50 pulls to start this new saw.

I am a long time Husky owner, and the 266XP that I have had for more than 25 years, can sit for 2-3 months and start within 3-4 pulls, often on the second cold, that saw made a Husqvarna fan out of me. I couldn't wait to get the 3120, as the 266, is often struggling with some of the wood we cut, but I was unpleasantly surprised when it didn't start like the 266XP, or 460 Rancher I have.

From cold, I turn it on(Duh), set the choke, set the throttle lock, and then pull and Pull and PULL, until I walk away from it for awhile, then pull some more. It runs GREAT once it starts, but getting it started is a real PITA. It has less than an hour on it, will this improve with use?, is there something that maybe needs to be tweaked?, Am I doing something wrong?

Any advice or suggestions from anyone with experience with this saw would be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks Guys,
Doug

I think when you pull the choke on it automatically sets the throttle to high idle. If your setting the throttle WFO after that I think that may be your problem. Are you using the decompression button? Anything with a carb needs a fat (rich with fuel) condition to start. If you trigger is lock 100% open you are defeating that starting condition. How does your plug look?

Hi Big Block, I will try it without the throttle lock, and ohh yeah, I'm using the decomp button, I'm not 19 anymore.;)

The manual says to use the choke and throttle lock (AND the decomp button:)). choke, throttle lock and about 3 pulls cold and my trusty 266XP starts right up even after a long break, so I tried that formula with the 3120, with poor results. I have read on here that the 435, or 440 I think, have some idiosyncrasies, that when you follow the instructions they are great, but woe be he who doesn't follow instructions well:(

I will have to pull the plug, and check the gap, but this is a brand new saw, first tank of fuel and bar oil, both tanks factory dry when I got it.

The forests closed because of dry conditions and fire danger right before I got it, I'm not too far from the Eagle Creek Fire in the Columbia Gorge( damn kids and fireworks:****you::buttkick:)so I'm looking forward to trying it out on some wood worthy of a saw like that, tried it on some 16-18" Fir I had at the house, dropped through it like the log wasn't even there:chainsaw:.

Thanks again,
Doug

Real men don't read or ask for directions but we are all subject to change and pulling on a saw 50 times will do that.
You got to give it a chance..pull another 50 times.. No don't do that.
Lol.
How 'bout those 266's ?
Amazing saws!

It's one or the other but then it's been flooded and finally starts and it runs like crap for a bit as it pushes out the unburned fuel then Its impossible not to know at that point.
It's possible you have a faulty inlet needle and you are getting 'drip down when it's stored?

We will cover more in chapter 2) p. 15ish
1) You can pull the plug before hand and see if it's wet already?
2) you can store the saw tip up so if this is the case you will see the fuel pooled under the air filter on removal apposed to it slowly draining into the cylinder undetected?
3) take off cap and filter.
Pull choke out.
Set decompression and squirt in a good drink.
Punch IN the choke and drop it as quick as you can.
She should run like a charm

I decided I better go find a job and not write 45 pages.

If it works... you don't even have to thank me. Obviously there is still an issue. If I was the guy that tuned it for me then I would just back the low back anticlockwise 1/8+ turn. Actually that's a lie..I prime my saws all the time..but they start good warm and have good throttle response.
It shouldn't come out of the saw shop tuned like that but if your down for some low jet spec tunning lessons (so you know) I'm sure we can walk you through it. It's good to figure out what is going on so YOU have the benefit of learning and then by all means take it back to them if needed. You will be more helpful to them also..that is until the warranty runs out.

Had this exact issue on a 394 this week. Friend's saw...

took carb apart, and the screen was gummed up. no fuel flow.

on a new saw I would expect the carb to be clean... but somehow odds are you have no fuel flow.

is the plug wet? if not, try putting a squirt of carb cleaner down the throat and see if the saw pops nearly immediately. that will confirm compression and spark.

then all you need to do is have the dealer figure out the fuel issue :)

Just experiment with trying to start it some, you might find the instructions are just bad. Doesn't quite make sense to why they would be though...

Cold starts on my 298 are always more pulls than once warm but never take more than 10, usually 5-6 pulls does it. First 2-3 with choke on and throttle locked. Turn choke off but keep throttle locked and try 2 pulls. If it won't pop then put the choke back on and pull another one or two and it usually starts by then.

Of the couple 3120's I have owned, the choke and high throttle lock have been independent. Always have to manually set the high idle. Take it back to the dealer. Or maybe try richening up the low needle if the plug isn't wet from pulling? Not sure if that would help.

Yee Haw, forget the instructions, and the throttle lock:blob2: We have ignition:).

Thanks Big Block (and everyone else) I just got home, and set the choke without the throttle lock, fourth pull she snorted pretty good, closed the choke two more pulls and ohh Sweet Music.

Now I just need to go find some serious wood to break this Bad boy in:chainsaw:

Thanks Again:cheers:
Doug

Yee Haw, forget the instructions, and the throttle lock:blob2: We have ignition:).

Thanks Big Block (and everyone else) I just got home, and set the choke without the throttle lock, fourth pull she snorted pretty good, closed the choke two more pulls and ohh Sweet Music.

Doug
Atta'boy. Just got to find what it likes.

Yep, them chainsaws can be ALMOST as Fickle as women, just gotta find that spot to tickle just right to make em purr.

I found that spot, and it put a smile on face, it starts almost as easy now as my trusty old 266:)

One of my Sister in Laws Boss has 16 acres, and had a large Douglas Fir fall on one of his buildings last winter, Brad had it moved off the building and cut into 3 sections and laid in his field. He had all the wood he needed for himself, and was Happy to have someone come get it, it was about 30" at the stump end, and we ended up with about 2 cords between that and some small stuff he also wanted to see go away, so all 4 saws got some exercise, so Saturday was a pretty good day. After 25 years of cutting with the 266XP, I was amazed at what that 3120XP did on wood that would have hidden the bar on my 266.

Bucking sections of the large wood almost through was fun with the new saw, when I could let the weight and dogs do the work, but after rolling sections, it didn't take long to put the big saw down, and grab the 266 or 460 for up cutting to finish the rounds, I'm STILL NOT 19 anymore ;).

Doug

Doug
I have a new Echo 501, the saw shop ran it when I bought it, took it home,
decided to order / swap the bar for a shorter one, it took 5 days or so to come in.
Put it on, went to start the saw, pulled 10 times, thought to hec with this, this isn't what I
paid for, studied the situation, and found I was the problem after taking out the plug
I found it to be bone dry, set the choke again, this time I left the throttle alone,
and three pulls later and she fired up.
I was setting the choke, and then pulling in the throttle to ensure it was not locked
on, I dont like them starting up with a high rev, but doing this seemd to knock the
choke off again, and what also did not help at all is this thing is tuned lean, which I
have to attend to.

Enjoy your new saw & Regards, john

Back