New Husky 346xp - lousy filter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
himiler

himiler

If I wake up . . . it's a good day.
Just picked up a new Husqvarna 346xp and wasn't really impressed by the filter that came with it. After using it for a day I'm beyond convinced. At least it stopped cigarrette butts and flying insects. There was this fine sheen of sawdust on the INSIDE of the filter housing, so my guess is that stuff is throughout the carb & the rest of the motor.
Any suggestions? Is there a better OE or aftermarket filter for this saw?
Steve

brncreeper

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just leave my a/f off when the mosquitoes are thick, between that and the smokin' 32:1 100LL they don't stand a chance.:smoking:

SkippyKtm

SkippyKtm

The Lorax, my FIL rip...
I have a 346xp NE, and the filter works fine without any grease, maybe I'm just lucky, but what you may need to do is: Remove the filter, pop open the shell, apply grease to the two mating surfaces, reassemble the filter and then apply grease to where the filter mates with the intake elbow, and reinstall. I've had to do this with quite a few other saws.:)

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
try a new filter. maybe there is a small tear or manufacturing flaw you can't see. If the saw is new just bring to dealer and show him. Maybe he'll take it for trade on an 880

bass_on_tap

bass_on_tap

ArboristSite Operative
According to the 346XP IPB, there are three air filters available for the saw. Two of which are mesh with different size filtration. Try the finer one and let us know.
965985093_WqLRN-M.gif

mikefunaro

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
To build on bass-on-tap's response

If its the black bodied mesh screen filter switch to either the smaller 44um one, or to a flocked/fleece style filter. If you have the 44um one, switch to a fleece filter still.

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
You're in Tejas.
Splashing a mud puddle down there raises the dust.

Just get the felt filter and quit cussing.

I'm on sand here, and have had zero issues with the felt filter letting anything into the carb.

Tell your dealer they sent the wrong filter on the saw and have him swap it out for ya.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I'll get one up tomorrow morning. It's really just a fine accordion style screen.

Is the plastic of the filter black or yellowish?

If it is the courser black "winter" filter, and you have a lot of fine dust, that could be your problem.

Make sure that the mesh is unharmed, and that the filter is fully on (clipped in place).

Also make sure that the opening in the wall between the front and rear part of the top cover is closed.

Those saws surely aren't known for filter issues!

Last edited:
mweba

mweba

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dunno guys...I had the same issue with my yellow bodied filter. I checked plug and filter on the first tank as I always do. There was a fine build up on the inside of the elbow. Didn't bother #$^ about it here. Just went to the dealer and he handed me a new one. Problem solved. Long live the 346 880 killer!

blsnelling
According to the 346XP IPB, there are three air filters available for the saw. Two of which are mesh with different size filtration. Try the finer one and let us know.

To build on bass-on-tap's response

If its the black bodied mesh screen filter switch to either the smaller 44um one, or to a flocked/fleece style filter. If you have the 44um one, switch to a fleece filter still.

+1. Get the felt filter for better filtration.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
another 346 owner here with the yellow mesh filter and noticed the same thing - I will get the felt style ASAP!

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - very useful!!!

The cutting conditions is the key - there is a reason there are 3 options!

Grease or "filter oil" should not be needed.

The yellow mesh ones works perfectly here, and they are easy to keep clean, but I avoid using the black ones.....

Last edited:

Latest posts