New Husqvarna Translucent Gas Tanks/ Handles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plastic Tanks

I still don't know about this dam'd plastic stuff... A gas tank should be the most durable thing on the saw I think. It can ignite, cause some real problems, and it hold a ton of vapors. I know people that won't buy saw with a plastic gas tank period... I'm thinking someone in the future should just put one of those seeing glasses on the side so you can see your fuel leve in the say, "magnesium" casing... That's prolly how I'd handle it to keep everyone happy. :rock: :popcorn:

So Husky is now putting on see through fuel tanks, well now where'd they get that eye deer from. Wait a minute, Stihl has done that for years and years. Husky has copied it, oh noooooooooooooo, Sawtroll why is your company copying mine now, thought it was the utter way around,haha. Call Peter and warn him I got the copying goods now,LOL

Consider it done. All you have to do is ask.

Joat

I'm not sure its the same material as described above because there is no question abou seeing the fuel level. I just filed it and you can see the level easily from 30ft away in a dark barn. The seam weld was not put togeather flush either.

I'm sure it will be fine, my first reaction was just that the construction seemed to have cheapened up some.

Sounds like a new version, the old one is only posible to see trough in close to optimal light conditions.

It is not good for the saw to run it out of gas while you are cutting with it. You are creating an extremely lean running condition which makes the saw scream. As the fuel goes away, so does your 2-stroke oil which is what lubricates the internal moving parts and helps keep the piston from transferring aluminum from itself to the cylinder wall. If you keep an eye on your fuel and pay attention to the sudden increase of rpm's you may get more life from your saw. Besides, it is easier to restart a saw that still has fuel in the carburetor and lines.

Very true!!!

I still don't know about this dam'd plastic stuff... A gas tank should be the most durable thing on the saw I think. It can ignite, cause some real problems, and it hold a ton of vapors. I know people that won't buy saw with a plastic gas tank period... I'm thinking someone in the future should just put one of those seeing glasses on the side so you can see your fuel leve in the say, "magnesium" casing... That's prolly how I'd handle it to keep everyone happy.
Vehicles have had plastic gas tanks for decades. Some plastics can build a static charge, but metals can produce a spark. If either one were uniformly safer than the other, every mode of fuel storage would have abandoned the more dangerous one log ago. Yet you still see plastic and metal jerry cans, plastic and metal fuel tanks in vehicles, plastic and metal tanks in small engine power tools, etc. Now maybe the fuel tank should, except for a sight window, be _surrounded_ by a cast housing.

Isn't magnesium pretty combustible?

The 357xp came out in 2002 or so, but Husky used (sort of) see trough tanks several years before that.

Opps my mistake. Thanks Troll, I bought the 357XP 26 March 2002. I guess I was thinking of my 371XP.

BTW magnesium burns at 5,400 o F. While it is somewhat difficult to get a magnesium casting to burn it is very easy to get magnesium shavings to ignite. Add a little water and you have quite a show.

Last edited:
Opps my mistake. Thanks Troll, I bought the 357XP 26 March 2002. I guess I was thinking of my 371XP.

BTW magnesium burns at 5,400 o F. While it is somewhat difficult to get a magnesium casting to burn it is very easy to get magnesium shavings to ignite. Add a little water and you have quite a show.

LOL...super extra hard to put the fire out...:blob2:

on mine on the bottum up by the handle bar dampener spring it is split on the seam or is that the way they are suppose to be? just in front of where the handle bar mounts
I thought the same thing but they're supposed to be that way because mine are the same way. FWIW, my second 359 had a slight leak on the upper seam of the fuel tank. My first 359 has had many outings without an issue. I don't baby my saws, but I don't throw them around either.

So Husky is now putting on see through fuel tanks, well now where'd they get that eye deer from. Wait a minute, Stihl has done that for years and years. Husky has copied it, oh noooooooooooooo, Sawtroll why is your company copying mine now, thought it was the utter way around,haha. Call Peter and warn him I got the copying goods now,LOL
Didn't Stihl copy Husky's air filter design or at least the principal of it with their MS441?

Latest posts

Back