New idea for inexpensive chaps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
One of the things I hate about selling on ebay or even through the used equipment forum here is the non-hands-on factor. I have lots of problems and worries about people who have never owned a chainsaw before. I've been working with one nice customer through email recently to try to coax them trough getting a chainsaw started. Of course, its a wildthing:laugh: Anyway, they included this in a recent email after we got that saw going!

"What do you recommend for protection of the thighs? Those Husqvarna pants are just too darned expensive for me. I was thinking I might be able to rig something up with carpet sample squares held by big rubber bands cut from innertubes."

I hope this guy doesn't hurt himself.

I think I accidentially posted this in the used equipment forum, if a moderator could delete it from there :)

Don't forget a clear plastic bag over the head and tied tight around the neck, so they won't be breathing in sawdust and exhaust! :laugh:

Tell him to find himself a log about the size of one of his legs. Have him make a set of his "chaps" and strap it on the log, rev up his Wild Thing, and see what it does to his "chaps" and his "leg." A couple light touches and then a good solid cut. Then inquire as to the status of his health insurance.

Edit: Maybe have him try the same thing on a nice London broil or a good sized roast. Actual flesh.

boboak said:
Lets see, Wildthing, carpet squares for chaps...man I can't wait to see what he does next. Glad he''s getting some help...hope he takes it.

Well it started off why won't my chainsaw start :dizzy: After I gave him the 47 step fool proof method for instant chainsaw starting he was ok. The problem was 'throttle lock???'

He wanted to know why his 7/32 file wasn't working.

He wanted to know if it would be safe to use a 14" bar instead of the 16":confused:

But thats all normal stuff. I just thought the carpet sample chaps was too funny not to share!

2Coilinveins said:
Maybe have him try the same thing on a nice London broil or a good sized roast. Actual flesh.

That's probably what he bought it for anyway...that or quartering frozen turkeys...

Chaser

2Coilinveins said:
Tell him to find himself a log about the size of one of his legs. Have him make a set of his "chaps" and strap it on the log, rev up his Wild Thing, and see what it does to his "chaps" and his "leg." A couple light touches and then a good solid cut. Then inquire as to the status of his health insurance.

Edit: Maybe have him try the same thing on a nice London broil or a good sized roast. Actual flesh.

I don't know, it is a wildthing after all! The berber might stop it... no wait orange shag, Husky orange shag. Yes... I think I might sell these on ebay:D

I used to have a 1980's shag rug in my house that might just stop a Wildthing in its tracks!.........:laugh:

retoocs555 said:
"What do you recommend for protection of the thighs? Those Husqvarna pants are just too darned expensive for me. I was thinking I might be able to rig something up with carpet sample squares held by big rubber bands cut from innertubes."

I hope this guy doesn't hurt himself.

can i have his email address??? i'm about to get my first chain saw, and i want to see if he can share his method for this excellent idea for chaps... i mean, why re-invent the wheel??? if he has a digi camera and can send me pics, i can use the same thing...

i love it when a plan comes together... :blob4: :laugh: :blob4:

retoocs555 said:
Well it started off why won't my chainsaw start

I just thought the carpet sample chaps was too funny not to share!

Why not suggest a portion of a steel belted radial tire over each leg...kinda like when you strap old steel belted tires over tractor tires to protect them? :)

If you suggest it sincerely he may try it!

Chaser

Trinity Honoria said:
can i have his email address??? i'm about to get my first chain saw, and i want to see if he can share his method for this excellent idea for chaps... i mean, why re-invent the wheel??? if he has a digi camera and can send me pics, i can use the same thing...

i love it when a plan comes together... :blob4: :laugh: :blob4:

I thought of trying to get digital pictures of it. I really wanted them... But I decided to cover my a$$ and tell him flat out. BAD IDEA!

Remember the Tin Man from the Wizard of OZ?? Just get a piece of used stove pipe and split it in two. Wrap half around each leg with duct tape.

For ear protection I use foam faucet insulators. Home Crapo sells them for $1.99 ea. Duct tape also secures them to your head.

For eye protection I use CD's. That little hole in the center lets you see out yet there's not that much of a chance of anything getting thrown thru. And yes, duct tape will hold them to your face.

Well now tell him about the pants that Madsen's sell with 'inserts' that snap inside the pants. He just might take a cotton to that idea.:laugh: :laugh:

At least give the guy credit for realizing he needs protection for his legs, I honestly know of few people who use chainsaw chaps around here. You see it, but it is right up there with a running Peugot sighting.

Back