New Jugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last cylinder kit I would concider is the 084/088. This is very popular with the racers but also with the guys running chainsaw mills. You would be very pleasently surprised by the #'s of these that you would move. You would probably notice a granburg going out with the kit at the same time.

I agree, even if it isn't a big bore, a stock 084 p/c kit would be great too. I have two saws here with burnt up p/c that I am not going to invest cash for oem. They are beat up logger saws.

Of coarse, BB would be nice too, but at this size and power aftermarket stuff would have to be of superb quality to last. The piston would need to be reinforced and have heat rings in it to last just like the oem ones have. Racers probably won't like that idea, but the guys with the mills will. Milling creates a lot of heat and well heat causes damage and lesser quality pistons.

Pipe Dreams...

I wish Tecomec would make P/C kits for the legions of Homelite xl900 series saws (923,925, etc) that are still out there. A lot of good old saws are going to the scrap bin, or being parted out for fleabay as a result of tired/smoked jugs.

Of course, I'd also love to see quality new jugs for Homelite 2100/3100's, Homelite 1050/1130's, Homelite 750's, Stihl 031/032's, Stihl 056's, Stihl 041's...............

I know it ain't gonna happen. I can dream however. :givebeer:

How about a big bore kit for the C series Homies? That's what the factory did when they made the 1050, 2100 etc.
The crank and bottom end are stout and the case is all magnesium. A big bore kit would bring the power up and the power/weight ratio down to be closer to the newer saws. These saws last forever and you can buy them for a song on Ebay because there are millions of them still around. IMO the reason why so many are still around is that they were way over designed for their power output.

One thing a lot of people here aren't thinking about is whether or not it's going to be practical to put a larger bore cylinder and piston on a particular saw. For instance, the Stihl 036/360 is already tight at 48mm, a 50mm piston isn't going to easily clear the case opening, especially on the earlier 036 and 034 Super saws. Plus is there going to be the volume to easily support the additional flow? A 52mm piston and cylinder on an 044/440 does make more power than a 50mm 044/440 but it does not have the snap of a stock 52mm 046/460 because the 046/460 case has more volume and mixing area.
NBailey said:
Could a big bore kit be made to fit both 084 and 088 saws, as well as MS 880's.
The 084 and 088 are NOT the same. The 084 uses a bolt-on metal muffler. The 088/880 uses a clip-on alloy muffler.
After working a commercial dealership I can readily say that the most profitable and sensible line of saws to make any aftermarket engine parts for is the current small and mid-size commercial/pro-quality saws, i.e. Husky 346/357/359, Stihl 026/260/361, and Dolmar 5100S/7900.
bcorradi said:
You are correct the cylinder bolt spacing on the mag is different from what is on the AV and Super. So a direct bolt on doesn't exist to upgrade your AV or Super to a 52mm jug and piston.
Baileys already sells a 52mm aftermarket jug and piston with the correct bolt pattern to fit the regular 038 and 038 Super.

Last edited:
Fumbler said:
Would it be possible to make one big bore kit that would fit a Husqvarna 340, 345, 350, 346XP, and 353?
The 340, 345, and 350 all use a different style of case than the 346 and 353. It's a plastic housing with the encapsulated integral cylinder/crankcase/engine cap assembly.

J.Jenks, I talked with bailey's about the 084/088. The holes can be slotted to fit both bolt patterns and both muffler mounting systems could be worked into the design.

How would they accomodate both Decomp valves? Two holes, one gets plugged?
Would they really sell 1000 (their min order) in a reasonable time period?

if some one would have asked if they could sell a 1000 bb kits for the 044 before they made them, you would have nay sayed that too. You are a company man and I am sure Gene loves that. I can respect that about you. Bailey's has been doing this a long time and I am sure they will make the right decision on wheather or not it is worth doing. They have been telling stihl that they know where stihls weaknesses in the market is for quite some time now. So if they figure it's a good idea then who am I to argue. I only made a suggestion.:biggrinbounce2:

I'd have to agree with Andy. I cannot imagine they'd be able to sell 1000 84/88 kits in a reasonable time period. Eventhough I'm sure a few racers would really like the idea, its just such a small # of total people in the whole scheme of things.

if some one would have asked if they could sell a 1000 bb kits for the 044 before they made them, you would have nay sayed that too. You are a company man and I am sure Gene loves that. I can respect that about you. Bailey's has been doing this a long time and I am sure they will make the right decision on wheather or not it is worth doing. They have been telling stihl that they know where stihls weaknesses in the market is for quite some time now. So if they figure it's a good idea then who am I to argue. I only made a suggestion.:biggrinbounce2:

Company man ::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you have no idea...I'll glady buy aftermarket if it the quality and price intersect. I sure wish Tecomec would start selling other models..

Actually, I would have guessed they sell 1000 044's.. but I know how many 088 they sold in the entire USA last year... you you have more fingers and toes than that number...

I have to agree. There's four Stihl dealerships in the county where I live (I work at one of them) and between the four dealers, we've sold a grand total of 5 088s since 1998. Two of those travelled to Micronesia/Palau.

Baileys already sells a 52mm aftermarket jug and piston with the correct bolt pattern to fit the regular 038 and 038 Super.

Not quite. Baileys lists one P/C kit (#CK038) that they say fit's all 038/MS380 saws.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5538?mv_session_id=zo8aspeH&product_sku=CK 038

"This cylinder has a 52mm bore, which is the larger (Magnum) size, but it will fit on all 038 and MS 380 saws."

I don't know how their claim is possible (as there is indeed two bolt patterns for the 038 saw family). Either this kit fits the AV and Super, or it fits the Mag/MagII. It can't do both unless they have slotted bolt holes on the kit cylinder (and I don't know if even that would work). I have raised this question a couple of times without a response from Baileys...

The Baileys ad states that it replaces Stihl part numbers: 1119-020-1201 and 1119-020-1202. I don't know which cylinders these numbers correspond to.

Seeing as there are three different OEM cylinders in the 038 family (038AV, 038Super, Mag/MagII), I wonder which one is left out.

To me, it would seem like there would have to be two 52mm P/C kits to cover all the 038 saws. One for the AV and super, and one for the MAg/MagII. A comp release would be nice on both too!

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of aftermarket 038 52mm jugs say that they will work on all 038's, but that is not possible without slotting the screw holes in the jug. The 038 mag crankcase is different then an 038 AV (48mm) or 038 super (50mm) aka Farmboss, etc. It can be adapted to work, but it will not work out of the box. "Mad Professor" an AS member is currently working on adapting an 038 mag jug to work on a super or av crankcase so you may want to shoot him a msg on the precise details.

Last edited:
Upon further investigation our kit will fit 038 Magnums and MS380's. It looks like there is 3 distinct crankcases manufactured for that model group.

Back