new large saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornraker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just looking to get some professional reccomendations for a new saw for my firewood business before i go out and buy one. I'm about to get some 40-60 cords of logs anywhere between 12"-45" in diameter hauled out to the house here soon and i need a new saw that will be used primarily for bucking. I've previously used my dads stihl 044 the last few years and it has done the job but i'm looking to upgrade to a serious saw that will be put to use almost every day. Like i said it will be used almost exclusively for bucking with maybe some felling. I don't know much about larger saws but i was looking at the stihl 660. Don't know much about huskys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Go with the one that has the best dealer support, if you are going to be running this saw every day there is going to come a time where you will need parts or service. The dealer that is close and can get you these part so you are back up and running is a must. Lost time waiting for parts is lost money.

Most any of these big pro saw would work, but the one with the support is the one to have.

C'mon, be a man, Stihl 090 all the way! :eek: Unless you have puny girly-man arms, then a 660. Seriously though, I've used my 660 for the better part of a whole day straight of bucking, and while it's a bit heavy for the smaller stuff, it more than makes up for it with how it chews through the big stuff. I haven't bucked much with my 395 because its better air filtration keeps it mounted on the mill most of the time.

And bigtime :bowdown: to those who actually did use 090s bucking all day long ago.

saw help

john deere cs 81. mine wears a 28" bar and full skip for everyday use. on the rare big tree job i wil put a 36" bar and full skip. i agree with evry body that dealer suport for parts service and advice should top the list of what model saw you buy.
just meez druken opinion:givebeer:

Also, get one thats comfortable for you to run. If you're running a saw every day that you're not as comfortable using, you won't enjoy using it as much and it won't be as safe.
+1 on the dealer support too. make sure you're dealer will take good care of you. i made the mistake of buying from a dealer that thinks that if you didn't spend a small fortune on tractors and such from them, you aren't worth their time. needless to say another dealer is getting my business now.:cheers:

my home ported 7900 will smoke a stock 660.

lighter, cheaper, more power,

hmmm......

bucked probly 100 cords or so in the past 2 years.

Hey guys just looking to get some professional reccomendations for a new saw for my firewood business before i go out and buy one. I'm about to get some 40-60 cords of logs anywhere between 12"-45" in diameter hauled out to the house here soon and i need a new saw that will be used primarily for bucking. I've previously used my dads stihl 044 the last few years and it has done the job but i'm looking to upgrade to a serious saw that will be put to use almost every day. Like i said it will be used almost exclusively for bucking with maybe some felling. I don't know much about larger saws but i was looking at the stihl 660. Don't know much about huskys. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You've got a Stihl in your avatar and are looking at a 660, so your choice looks pretty clear. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back