new laynard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a steel plate with 3 holes in it (old school); one hole is used to attach it to my belt with a quick link, the lanyard is then fed through the other two for adjustment. I’ll post a pic when I get a chance. One guy I work with uses a rope grip something like the one below. A carabiner attaches it to his belt. I tried it, but didn’t like it.

ropegrab.jpg

Streyken? Do these people have a web site? How much does it cost? I want some!

Me too! I'd throw a snap on one end, and run through a swabish (with 3/8 sta set) on the other for adjustment! great for blocking down.
we need a link!!!
-Ralph

I get the rope from these guys: http://www.cantrawl.com/gear-hardware.html

It took me forever to find them after my previous rope supplier stopped carrying it. You could also look into playground equipment suppiers, I think the rope they use on the climbing nets is the same stuff (91 strands total - 13 groups of 7 strands). It's called combination rope, I didn't know that at the time and it took over 20 phone calls and description until one guy knew what I was talking about, then he said they didn't have it! But he pointed me in the right direction.

THANK YOU, Dude! We so very much appreciate that!

Streyken is out climbing on gear that no one else is climbing on. You're like a test pilot,

you're like,

Chuck Jaegermeister

Remember, that Top Gun pilot who cooked up this wicked hazelnut liquer???

Jaegermeister is to pilotdom as Streyken is to the 12 people reading this thread.:D

Actually, this isn't my idea. I've been using this for 18 years. The guys who trained me got it from someone else as well. The wire rope that we use has changed over the years, but the concept remains the same.

I always keep double lanyards on, so easy to change stems, etc. These are about 6 months old (I only climb 3 days a week).

lanyard03.jpg

lanyard04.jpg

Welcome to Arboristsite

Streyken, first, Welcome to Arboristsite. Second.... you coming on here and surfacing with this stuff, it's like the discovery of a lost tribe of tree men. You're kinda like a whole new treeguy specie, yet, we're still kin. Are there more like you? Take me to your leader......:bowdown:

Let me bring offering of how to handle a macrograb, the adjuster you described as unimpressive.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Except that with this particular adjuster (Petzl Micrograb), the difference between 11 mm and 13 mm is huge. If you go up to a larger Macrograb or a Gibbs ascender, then you lose the smallness, that ideal 'palm' size hand feel. The IDEAL, and I know this because of my last three rope fliplines, Vector, Velocity and Blaze, all 11 mm have performed excellent with the micrograb. It's precision control that brings joy, but these 11 mm lines lack stiffness and general uncuttability. We need an 11 mm wirecore combination rope flipline. Enter Netline.

I can see where the micrograb would be undersize for your wirecore (multicore?) We need 11 mm Netline. We could usher in a new era of high-end flipline if it's tensile is up to par (and it is). We just need to politely ask the netline manufacturer 'what can be done'?

Stryken, you've brought us a most excellent gift.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Like I said, the guy I work with loves the ropegrab. I think the one he uses is too small, the lanyard is 16mm and it doesn't leave much room. For me it's also my way of doing things, one example, when blocking I'm use to feeding line out one handed while leaning back, if I tried that with the grab, I'm afraid it would release my lanyard so quickly I'd be on the ground. This may not be the case, but it's my main apprehension.

Habit can be a good and bad thing. I always put my gear on in the same order (something I learned while commercial diving), if you're missing something you'll know it. A lot of guys climb with their saw attached to a hook and use it free hand in the tree, mine is always tied with a 3' piece of rope to my right side. I was trimming a tree without gear on one day, just went up on a ladder and climbed in (retopping a low hedge). I ended up throwing my saw out of the tree to quickly grab a top! I didn't even think about it, just habit.

I like trying new stuff though, thought about starting a new thread on that, as we all do things different according to the types of cutting conditions, which vary immensely looking at the photos you guys post. Learned spurless only a few years ago.

Last edited:
That lanyard is all well and cool but in your avatar, Is that you and is that eyepatch for real? If so, now that's awesome!

Yup, that's me. Eye patch isn't real, but it could be. I've been cut just above and just below both eyes a number of times (wayne chipper thowbacks, breaking chain, breaking rope, breaking branches, etc.) One of my students made that for me a few years back when I was teaching computer programming. Decided to get out of the trees for a few years, but it sucks you back in.

Here's mine, its just 4 metres (13 feet) of blaze with a vt and steel crush clip.
The vt is great for one handed adjustment and also for letting off under load. I like the steel crush clip as it has more weight to throw about than an alloy one. Sometimes they can take a bit of a beating in the tree.
DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0419.jpg

MrRecurve said:
Here's mine, its just 4 metres (13 feet) of blaze with a vt and steel crush clip.
The vt is great for one handed adjustment and also for letting off under load. I like the steel crush clip as it has more weight to throw about than an alloy one. Sometimes they can take a bit of a beating in the tree.

Where do you get the blaze? Does the Micro make it work better? What are you using for the VT? Could you use a prusik instead of the VT I love prusiks or a blakes. I use a wirecore for flipping but looking for something for work positioning. Wire core thends to be to expensive for big lengths. Thanks for your pics they really helped make sense.
Jared

Hey Jared, just use any 11mm climbing line available at your arb supply. I picked Blaze as I havnt used it for anything else, I like to use different colours.

The vt is just prussick cord, and you cant really use it without the pulley, but yeah it is as smooth as the proverbial. You can use a prussick, just tie it really short and back it up with the micropulley so you can advance it with one hand.

I really only do amenity work, so I dont have the need for wirecore. The long length of my flipline really helps a lot in limbwalks and general positioning ,plus I can take it off my side d and clip onto the bridge of my glide to use as a short redirect, or just to hang off while advancing my head rope (i dont like to hang from my flipline if it is attached at the sides, uncomfortable).

Also, the 11mm isnt that hard to flip up, so dont let that put you off.

here is mine

:hmm3grin2orange: 9ft blaze with distle hitch lts light wait 4 prunning.
12ft maxi-flip very nice use 4 removals has lots of flex that other wire core lanyards dont offer and is also spliced not crimped.:rock:

Last edited:
Magnum783 said:
Wire core thends to be to expensive for big lengths.
Jared

How much is standard wire core rope? I pay about $2.00 CDN a foot. With rope, safety clip and aluminum-loc (crimp), it runs me just under $40.00 CDN per 12' lanyard.

Back