new mac saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
just out of curiosity... are the new mcculloch saws any good at all?
mccullochpower.com shows a handfull of saws.

anyone use these saws: pmc18040bk, mxc1840d, ect?

IMO--Avoid McCullough and Homelite like the plague. Buy a quality saw--Husky, Jonsered, Echo or Stihl. If you're set on a cheaper saw, buy a Poulan. They're not that great, but parts are cheap and readily available.

already got echo cs-440. not shopping for another saw. couldn't help but wonder what ever happened to mac...
looked at the manufacturers site and sure enough they still make a few saws. surprise, surprise!
curious about current quality and who makes 'em if it isn't made by mac any more.

already got echo cs-440. not shopping for another saw. couldn't help but wonder what ever happened to mac...
looked at the manufacturers site and sure enough they still make a few saws. surprise, surprise!
curious about current quality and who makes 'em if it isn't made by mac any more.

MTD owns them, but as I recall they are NOW made in China by Jeng-Fenn.

McCulloch had some troubles...they got bought out by I think it was Black and Decker...the quality took a complete nose dive, the saws were breakign right out of the box.

McCulloch filed bankruptcy, and were bought out by Jeng Fenn, this is where it gets fuzzy...

The MAC molds set up for years and years in the factory, along with warranty returns, old stock, and new saws still in boxes. When MTD or whoever bought the rights to sell the stuff, the molds broke, the saws in the warehouses were shipped with broken fuel line, and rotted intakes and carbs. Broken warranty saws were unknowingly boxed up as new, and shipped. some people got saws out of the box with worn chains, and saw dust under the covers.

Now Im told it's all made in China...

Honestly...I dont know how much of what I just typed is factual, but Ive been told this by a few people.

Bottom line..new macs suck.

Husqvarna Group owns McCulloch today, and the new saws are the same as Partner and Poulan saws.

http://www.mcculloch.biz/node911.aspx?cid=429

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Black & Decker never owned McCulloch. MTD doesn't own McCulloch.
MTD had the rights to Distribute and Service the Jenn Feng built Macs in the USA. They had lost that right for not paying their bill to Jenn Feng. I do not know if that dispute was ever resolved
Jenn Feng of Tiawan bought the USA McCulloch brand in Oct.1999.
The European MacCulloch Line was made in Italy. That factory and the rights to the European McCulloch name was bought by Electrolux.

MTD owns them, but as I recall they are NOW made in China by Jeng-Fenn.

McCulloch had some troubles...they got bought out by I think it was Black and Decker...the quality took a complete nose dive, the saws were breakign right out of the box.

McCulloch filed bankruptcy, and were bought out by Jeng Fenn, this is where it gets fuzzy...

The MAC molds set up for years and years in the factory, along with warranty returns, old stock, and new saws still in boxes. When MTD or whoever bought the rights to sell the stuff, the molds broke, the saws in the warehouses were shipped with broken fuel line, and rotted intakes and carbs. Broken warranty saws were unknowingly boxed up as new, and shipped. some people got saws out of the box with worn chains, and saw dust under the covers.

Now Im told it's all made in China...

Honestly...I dont know how much of what I just typed is factual, but Ive been told this by a few people.

Bottom line..new macs suck.
Hellova post Red, nice work.
Rob

John Deere bought Homelite from Textron a few years ago, when did they sell? Anybody Know?

Ive got a Homelite Trimmer, ( built by Deere ), and it is a darn nice little trimmer for 75 bucks new. Straight shaft, bumpt head, EX start, always cranks on 3-4 pulls. The kicker is it is as light as the old SX Homelites.

Homelite Saws, after the switch from Textron...RUN FOREST RUN!

MTD had the rights to Distribute and Service the Jenn Feng built Macs in the USA. They had lost that right for not paying their bill to Jenn Feng. I do not know if that dispute was ever resolved
The European MacCulloch Line was made in Italy. That factory and the rights to the European McCulloch name was bought by Electrolux.

I was always told it was B&D that screwed McCulloch...

I knew MTD had a hand in it though, didnt know it was just service and distribution.

Not quite

B&D did indeed own McCulloch from 1973 to 1983 but in a quiet way.

Husvarna?????

Wow!!! That shocks the hell out of me, but I suppose it's better than many alternatives. I learned to cut on a Mini Mac 35 when I was 13 years old. I fixed the saw up with my Dad's help and put a little 10" bar on it for limbing. He always ran Homelites and we had a friendly "argument" over the years about which was better. He was right, the Homelite's were better, but I always enjoyed knowing that Homelite and McCulloch were quality saws made right here in the US. Once Homelite and McCulloch took a dump in the late 90's, I figured it was all over. As much as I'd like to see them on their own like their heyday, I must admit that having a name associated with quality saws behind them might just be their ticket back to some bit of respectibility.

John Deere bought Homelite from Textron a few years ago, when did they sell? Anybody Know?

My notes say Deere sold Homelite 12/2001, due to low financial performance (and lack of investment back into the product) sold to TTI
(techtronic Industries Inc) of hongKong. For the last 5 years or so TTI has been buying tons of other companies out.

Just another company that used what was a good name to sell junk and make money . Now a few years later no good name. Lots of good names are getting ruined right now the same way, it took the former management years to build up a good name and the present day so called management a short time ruin it. Make money NOW. Steve

Just another company that used what was a good name to sell junk and make money . Now a few years later no good name. Lots of good names are getting ruined right now the same way, it took the former management years to build up a good name and the present day so called management a short time ruin it. Make money NOW. Steve

Want to see a sad one?

Cub Cadet...

Back when they were owned by International, their Tractors were Top notch. I got one made in the 70's. A CC 1200. Still runs great, cuts great and with a meager 12hp...is unstoppable wven with huge Tires.

Now...they have bigger engines, but are far less capable...They fall apart, and projected lifespan is 5 years or so, with increased brakage after 3.

Want to see a sad one?

Cub Cadet...

Back when they were owned by International, their Tractors were Top notch. I got one made in the 70's. A CC 1200. Still runs great, cuts great and with a meager 12hp...is unstoppable wven with huge Tires.

Now...they have bigger engines, but are far less capable...They fall apart, and projected lifespan is 5 years or so, with increased brakage after 3.

did someone mention good names built over time then ruined quick?
---TROY-BILT---
need i say more?

Yeaaaaa

My notes say Deere sold Homelite 12/2001, due to low financial performance (and lack of investment back into the product) sold to TTI
(techtronic Industries Inc) of hongKong. For the last 5 years or so TTI has been buying tons of other companies out.

I gotta tell ya, and this is gonna make me sound like a complete a55hole, but come on. John Deere, or any other tractor manufacturer doesn't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to quality. Since JD and everyone else with american companies moved all their production to china/japan/korea I think I'm pretty much disgusted with them. For that matter, the only thing that keeps me buying Stihl and Dolmar is the fact that they are still made in the country of origin. I love germany for this reason. They are one of the few countries that hasn't sold out to other countries to save money and lose quality. Seems like that's the trend with ANY american companies. My lack of respect for them, along with their lower quality equipment is why I refuse to buy anything (AMERICAN) any more. There simply is nothing american. It's chinese or korean or japanese or indonesian. This is why STIHL and DOLMAR will ALWAYS be a better product than husky's/JR etc... I love america, but i'm saddened and disgusted at american business. John Deere's aren't what they used to be, anddddd they are still the most expensive tractor on the market. K, now I'm done venting...

:clap:

I know it's a little off topic, but reading about JD saying something isn't worth anything got me on my tyrade... The saddest thing in general is everything isn't about quality anymore, it's about the biggest numbers no matter who it affects.

Latest posts

Back