new mac saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta tell ya, and this is gonna make me sound like a complete a55hole, but come on. John Deere, or any other tractor manufacturer doesn't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to quality. Since JD and everyone else with american companies moved all their production to china/japan/korea I think I'm pretty much disgusted with them. For that matter, the only thing that keeps me buying Stihl and Dolmar is the fact that they are still made in the country of origin. I love germany for this reason. They are one of the few countries that hasn't sold out to other countries to save money and lose quality. Seems like that's the trend with ANY american companies. My lack of respect for them, along with their lower quality equipment is why I refuse to buy anything (AMERICAN) any more. There simply is nothing american. It's chinese or korean or japanese or indonesian. This is why STIHL and DOLMAR will ALWAYS be a better product than husky's/JR etc... I love america, but i'm saddened and disgusted at american business. John Deere's aren't what they used to be, anddddd they are still the most expensive tractor on the market. K, now I'm done venting...

:clap:

I know it's a little off topic, but reading about JD saying something isn't worth anything got me on my tyrade... The saddest thing in general is everything isn't about quality anymore, it's about the biggest numbers no matter who it affects.

When was the last time you were on a tractor? The smaller cheap JD tractors for the homeowner have been made in Japan for quite some time and have a good reliable reputation. Larger tractors, besides the economy line, are made in the US or Germany. Went to Germany when we got the harvester, great facility. Drove Turkish made tractors in the vineyard for a long time without a problem. Now Belarus tractors suck, and they have always been made there.

Cub Cadet is made by MTD and the larger model tractors are very well built, but smaller ones were the ones Red was probably talking about (I think it is the 1000 series).

I am sure the Chinese can build a quality saw, it depends on the company overseeing quality control.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for. Don't buy a Bumble Bee chainsaw for a logging operation and complain when it breaks. Don't buy a medium duty JD tractor to plow 500 acres and complain when the transmission goes out. Most agricultural products are made for a specific market, as are chainsaws.

Last edited:
Hmm

When was the last time you were on a tractor? The smaller cheap JD tractors for the homeowner have been made in Japan for quite some time and have a good reliable reputation. Larger tractors, besides the economy line, are made in the US or Germany. Went to Germany when we got the harvester, great facility. Drove Turkish made tractors in the vineyard for a long time without a problem. Now Belarus tractors suck, and they have always been made there.

Cub Cadet is made by MTD and the larger model tractors are very well built, but smaller ones were the ones Red was probably talking about (I think it is the 1000 series).

I am sure the Chinese can build a quality saw, it depends on the company overseeing quality control.

4520 in my back yard as we speak. About 6 hours ago... hehehehehehe

Constant hydraulic problems with it, 4x's in for problem with electrical and hydraulics and it's 8 months old. is $50k for a tractor cheap enough???

:popcorn:

And so you know, I don't want a friggin' saw from china. Or a tractor, I want it from germany, or from america. I'll pay an extra $100 for a saw NOT made there. Hell, I'll pay double if that's what it takes. Either way, I want to see my neighbor building it, or me helping to pay for his kid going to college instead of him having to find a new job 3 yrs from retirement cause they can pay somebody else $3/hr.

Last edited:

Constant hydraulic problems with it, 4x's in for problem with electrical and hydraulics and it's 8 months old. is $50k for a tractor cheap enough???

Let me guess, pulling trees and other farm tractor work with a compact tractor. I seen so many homeowners with tractor who try to do more than the equipment is capable of. If you paid 50K for that, it is your own fault for paying too much.

And so you know, I don't want a friggin' saw from china. Or a tractor, I want it from germany, or from america. I'll pay an extra $100 for a saw NOT made there. Hell, I'll pay double if that's what it takes. Either way, I want to see my neighbor building it, or me helping to pay for his kid going to college instead of him having to find a new job 3 yrs from retirement cause they can pay somebody else $3/hr.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5271109&guid=0AF551E9F2E8482382146457DC488727

I don't want anything from China either, and challenge you to find anything I own made there. It is the market driving the sales plan for large companies, blame your neighbor for the Chinese goods. If homeowners didn't want a cheap green JD, they wouldn't make it.

Last edited:
When was the last time you were on a tractor? The smaller cheap JD tractors for the homeowner have been made in Japan for quite some time and have a good reliable reputation. Larger tractors, besides the economy line, are made in the US or Germany.

"When was the last time you were on a tractor?"
Last week, when it snowed.....my 65 year old Farmall model "H" moves all of my snow every winter.

John Deere has a factory about an hour from me at Waterloo, Iowa where they build the largest 4WD and row crop tractors. JD has had a healthy business relationship with Germany and other countries for decades.

There are a boatload of compact tractors on the market and most mainstream manufactures have earned a good reputation. Other than a Chinese import it would probably be hard to go wrong. As of yet, the Chinese models have little or no dealership and parts network to support them. Look for this to change. Same for chainsaws or anything else they decide to sell us. Remember where Toyota was 30 years ago? Look at them now!~ :jawdrop:

Huh

Let me guess, pulling trees and other farm tractor work with a compact tractor. I seen so many homeowners with tractor who try to do more than the equipment is capable of. If you paid 50K for that, it is your own fault for paying too much.

Bro, where have you been?? A base 4520, that's 53hp Diesel, with loader and backhoe is well over $40k. Heck, a 30hp diesel with loader and backhoe will cost you over 30k. Get out and do some looking. I used to do all the same stuff when I was a kid with an international farmall C, and that's a 35hp gas tractor about 1/2 the size. Dude, the base 4520 is $35,000. And it's prolly costing them $50 to make it... Go price them, you'll see bro... Even the Kubota's, MF, and Case are crazy.

ehhhhhh

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5271109&guid=0AF551E9F2E8482382146457DC488727

I don't want anything from China either, and challenge you to find anything I own made there. It is the market driving the sales plan for large companies, blame your neighbor for the Chinese goods. If homeowners didn't want a cheap green JD, they wouldn't make it.

That's my point. They want cheap. It would be a better way of weeding them out. It's even more pathetic that Flowe's and everyone else sell JD now. They ain't nothin but a poulan or husky in tractor form. Sellout is the only term that comes to mind... Glad Stihl and Dolmar haven't done this yet...

:cheers:

I gotta tell ya, and this is gonna make me sound like a complete a55hole, but come on. John Deere, or any other tractor manufacturer doesn't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to quality. Since JD and everyone else with american companies moved all their production to china/japan/korea I think I'm pretty much disgusted with them. For that matter, the only thing that keeps me buying Stihl and Dolmar is the fact that they are still made in the country of origin. I love germany for this reason. They are one of the few countries that hasn't sold out to other countries to save money and lose quality. Seems like that's the trend with ANY american companies. My lack of respect for them, along with their lower quality equipment is why I refuse to buy anything (AMERICAN) any more. There simply is nothing american. It's chinese or korean or japanese or indonesian. This is why STIHL and DOLMAR will ALWAYS be a better product than husky's/JR etc... I love america, but i'm saddened and disgusted at american business. John Deere's aren't what they used to be, anddddd they are still the most expensive tractor on the market. K, now I'm done venting...

I know it's a little off topic, but reading about JD saying something isn't worth anything got me on my tyrade... The saddest thing in general is everything isn't about quality anymore, it's about the biggest numbers no matter who it affects.

it probably always was about the biggest numbers. it's just that you acheive those numbers in a different way these days. i think quality used to drive sales years ago, price was and always will be a factor, but quality brought people back to the store.
these days joe blow goes to the mega mart and says 'today i will get a chain saw to cut down that 3' yew in the back-yard'. he looks at price and dare i say it.... asthetics. he may remember the brand name from something he saw years ago, not worth a damn now in most cases. these are the people buying saws. these are the 'numbers' they are aiming for. these people don't give a rats arse about the power to weight ratio, rpm, or build quality. to acheive the 'price-n-pretty' goal companies move overseas, outsorce everything, and lower overhead any way they can. joe blow and his suburbanite neighbors will all buy these p-o-s and recomend them to every other idiot who will listen based soley on cutting down a 3' yew.
correct me if i am wrong but the great majority of people who bought a saw, say, 20 years ago or more bought it to use it far more often then mr. blow does today. when they bought a saw they looked for quality, longevity, serviceability, and yes price... but the first two reigned supreme. the philosophy worked untill the market changed. among other things the super-store was born, and mr. blow could afford to have a saw too! (look out poor yew!)
face it, as 'mericans we live in a disposable society. use it up, throw it away, get a new one, repeat. as long as mericans have this mentality, the low quality 'numbers' saw (and other products) will continue to be dumped on us.

Last week, when it snowed.....my 65 year old Farmall model "H" moves all of my snow every winter.

John Deere has a factory about an hour from me at Waterloo, Iowa where they build the largest 4WD and row crop tractors. JD has had a healthy business relationship with Germany and other countries for decades.

There are a boatload of compact tractors on the market and most mainstream manufactures have earned a good reputation. Other than a Chinese import it would probably be hard to go wrong. As of yet, the Chinese models have little or no dealership and parts network to support them. Look for this to change. Same for chainsaws or anything else they decide to sell us. Remember where Toyota was 30 years ago? Look at them now!~ :jawdrop:

Driven many JD tractors from the Waterloo facility. I believe they make the 7000 series if I am correct.

I read somewhere on here today, that Mac is working on a "Pro" saw made in the US. Any more info on this?

Not sure how Japan got in the mix of things with that statement! Does Japan produce a crappy product?

Japan was similar to China years ago, look at where they are now! I was told recently by a Briggs Rep. that they were not afraid of Honda, Tecumseh, Kawasaki, etc. That they were afraid of China! The Rep. (fresh of a National meeting) said that Briggs, at this time, is looking to save their butt by getting into the outdoor power market, haveing items made in China (for cheaper labor) BECAUSE they know that China will, one day, get it right and take over.

A few years ago it was all about Honda, and how they were coming up. Now its all about they Chinese market. Funny how things change but in 30 years I bet China will be similar to how we see Japan today.

Toyota

YIP, toyota. I still won't drive one, lmao... No matter how big they get I will always buy american vehicles, or at least canadian, lmao... hehehehehehehe

Not sure how Japan got in the mix of things with that statement! Does Japan produce a crappy product?

Japan was similar to China years ago, look at where they are now! I was told recently by a Briggs Rep. that they were not afraid of Honda, Tecumseh, Kawasaki, etc. That they were afraid of China! The Rep. (fresh of a National meeting) said that Briggs, at this time, is looking to save their butt by getting into the outdoor power market, haveing items made in China (for cheaper labor) BECAUSE they know that China will, one day, get it right and take over.

A few years ago it was all about Honda, and how they were coming up. Now its all about they Chinese market. Funny how things change but in 30 years I bet China will be similar to how we see Japan today.

i agree with the 30 years thing but only if mericans stop using it for our cheap-labor-disposable-item playground. if chinese companies wise-up and try to put out a decent product.... look out world, good product + low price..... the new japan.

Actually

Actually I don't mind Japan AS MUCH. But, and here's the but, the next time you find out your child has been chewing on toys with lead in them or contaminated canned products because the QA inspectors don't care about anything or the ones that do get fired, don't complain. I do have a problem with Chinese products, and alot of other countries products. I respect germany, sweden, and a few other countries, but not too many. I suggest everyone in here watch the film about Wal-Fart and how they do business with China. I'll bet you'll change your tune...

:cheers: bro...

Actually I don't mind Japan AS MUCH. But, and here's the but, the next time you find out your child has been chewing on toys with lead in them or contaminated canned products because the QA inspectors don't care about anything or the ones that do get fired, don't complain. I do have a problem with Chinese products, and alot of other countries products. I respect germany, sweden, and a few other countries, but not too many. I suggest everyone in here watch the film about Wal-Fart and how they do business with China. I'll bet you'll change your tune...

:cheers: bro...

name the film. i'm interested.

YIP, toyota. I still won't drive one, lmao... No matter how big they get I will always buy american vehicles, or at least canadian, lmao... hehehehehehehe

Funny you should mention that comparison,on monday morning I had a ford expedition come from the opposite direction , careening across 3 lanes into my lane.Not much I could do in the space/time given,to the left,fast lane,potential rear end pile up.To the right,take the snow berm,decent chance of rolling,by his speed,I thought he was going to take the berm,so I went for a small sideways slide to the leftand the center line,thinkin anything was better than a T-bone.
My aussie bumper put the hurt on that expedition,20 yr old toyota 4x with 243000 miles on it.Probably 1/2 his weight,I started the truck and moved around him to get out of rush hr traffic.His horn blared for 5 mins till i ripped the wires out,radiator shot,wouldnt start,wouldnt move(automatic),cop cruiser had to push it out of the way.I drove home 50 miles,not to happy but safe.To bad I wont get sh:censored: t from his insurance company for it.Since technically the underlying value is about the price of a top shelf pro saw.:cry:
-Dont mess with "Little Big Red"-:chainsaw:
When the time comes I wont hesitate to buy another Toyota,at one point 40% of them were made here in the good 'ole USA.And Ill definitely buy another aussie bumper too
Oh ya,what was the subject?

ak4195

Last edited:
The fact is that too many companys are using a good name to sell junk. I could list a lot but it would take a long time with one finger. Ohhhhh it's a John Deere it has to be good, right. Steve

Back