New member needs new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mench

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings from Eastern Canada,
I'm in the market for a 45-55 cc saw for cutting firewood (mostly white birch, a medium density hardwood) and have been reviewing some of your threads and other information on the net. My father has a old Jonsered and my FIL has an even older Husky 40 (both made in Sweden), and both saws have served them well. I want a quality saw that will last, and the local dealer sells both Husky and Stihl. In my price range I like the Stihl MS270, the Husky 353 and 346XP, and the Jonsered 2150. Any words of advice? Will a smaller saw (e.g. Husky 340 or Dolmar 401) meet my needs?
Thanks...

Any of the ones you mentioned would make a great choice. I had a Stihl 270 I really liked. I ended up making some good cash from firewood I cut with it, so I upgraded to a 361 and then gave it to my dad, who now really likes it. It was $349 w/ a case when I got it. What are the prices like there?

Hey glad you joined us you came to the right place we talk about this very thing all the time!

346XP is a very popular choice and is my personal favorite in that size saw. I use mine all the time its very light and powerfull and well balanced and starts super easy thats a plus. hth

I would stick to pro-type saws whatever brand you decide on they will last longer and have more power etc.

Kansas

Last edited:
Greetings from Eastern Canada,
I'm in the market for a 45-55 cc saw for cutting firewood (mostly white birch, a medium density hardwood) and have been reviewing some of your threads and other information on the net. My father has a old Jonsered and my FIL has an even older Husky 40 (both made in Sweden), and both saws have served them well. I want a quality saw that will last, and the local dealer sells both Husky and Stihl. In my price range I like the Stihl MS270, the Husky 353 and 346XP, and the Jonsered 2150. Any words of advice? Will a smaller saw (e.g. Husky 340 or Dolmar 401) meet my needs?
Thanks...

NE346xp all the way, or Dolmar 5100S if money is tight......

I wouldn't go any smaller than the saws you mentioned if it is going to be your single firewood saw. Since your local dealer carries husky and stihl, I'd go look at and test cut if you can the 346xp and the 260. These are both pro saws that will last and I think in the same price range. Take home the one that feels best, can't go wrong.

I have a little different take. Last summer I was in the market for a new saw. Liked the Husky346ne but was shocked at the price. Seems husky was out for top dollar from us Canadians. I found i could get a Stil 361 for just a hundred more. Well it was an easy decision and went for the 361. I am happy as pie. I do not know what the prices are now but I would find all the prices to compare even slightly larger saws. You might be surprised.

Husky 353, 346XP, 359
Stihl 260, 361

Chooose any one of the above that a) you can afford) and b) that you like. You'll probably end up with more than one saw at some point, but any of the above are a great start. Birch is easy to cut too.

I wouldn't go any smaller than the saws you mentioned if it is going to be your single firewood saw. Since your local dealer carries husky and stihl, I'd go look at and test cut if you can the 346xp and the 260. These are both pro saws that will last and I think in the same price range. Take home the one that feels best, can't go wrong.

Husky 353, 346XP, 359
Stihl 260, 361

Chooose any one of the above that a) you can afford) and b) that you like. You'll probably end up with more than one saw at some point, but any of the above are a great start. Birch is easy to cut too.

Welcome Mench, also from eastern canada here :clap:
Both posts above are very good. Pick what you like and what fits you well. Also pick what you can afford (dont go in debt), but also pick a saw that will last you a long time. So stick with soemthing professional and, I wouldnt recommend going below the 50 cc mark.

Free Saw-Jonsered 2055 Turbo

Thanks for the suggestions, but as luck should have it my father was given a a Jonsered 2055 turbo (about 10 years old or so and in great condition) and passed it onto me. Has anyone else out there have experience with this model?

So...would the Jonsered be a second saw?

Thanks for the suggestions, but as luck should have it my father was given a a Jonsered 2055 turbo (about 10 years old or so and in great condition) and passed it onto me. Has anyone else out there have experience with this model?

Mench

So...would the Jonsered be a second saw? Is this something that your dad just gave you? What is your other saw?

It is always nice to be given a saw that's in good condition.:chainsaw:

Dan

Dan,
The JRed 2055 is in good enough condition to be my only saw. If it starts giving trouble then I'll be buying a Husky 359, Stihl 270 or Dolmar 5100 as a main saw and keep the JRed as a backup.
Mench

Latest posts

Back