Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishahaulic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New member first post here, hello to everyone. I thought this might be a good source to help with my search. I purchased a Homelite Super EZ in 1979 to use on the farm. Saw is long gone and would like to find another of same vintage in running or restored condition, any help would be greatly appreciated.

New member first post here, hello to everyone. I thought this might be a good source to help with my search. I purchased a Homelite Super EZ in 1979 to use on the farm. Saw is long gone and would like to find another of same vintage in running or restored condition, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. You can try the want to buy thread on here.

Fish, welcome to the forum.

Back in the '60s and '70s, Homelite and McCulloch were the Ford & Chevy of chainsaws--solid American made dependable tools. I started with a McCulloch 10-10 in '76, but some of my neighbors were running Homelites. Your impulse to stay with the saw that served you well for years is understandable. But you'll thank yourself later if you graduate to a current generation saw. They are easier and more efficient to use and will not vibrate your hands into numbness.

Spoil yerself--go to a dealer and buy a Husqvarna of the size (CCs of displacement and length of bar) that suits your needs. A whole crew will soon chime in to recommend Stihl instead, but either way you'll get good tool. And Echo seems to make good saws. Be wary of the cheap saws sold at bigbox stores.

But really, if you want to dice up trees, and not just indulge nostalgia, get a new saw. You won't look back.

Of course, if your desire is purely nostalgic, yes, those saws can be found.

Back in the '60s and '70s, Homelite and McCulloch were the Ford & Chevy of chainsaws--solid American made dependable tools. I started with a McCulloch 10-10 in '76, but some of my neighbors were running Homelites. Your impulse to stay with the saw that served you well for years is understandable. But you'll thank yourself later if you graduate to a current generation saw. They are easier and more efficient to use and will not vibrate your hands into numbness.

Spoil yerself--go to a dealer and buy a Husqvarna of the size (CCs of displacement and length of bar) that suits your needs. A whole crew will soon chime in to recommend Stihl instead, but either way you'll get good tool. And Echo seems to make good saws. Be wary of the cheap saws sold at bigbox stores.

But really, if you want to dice up trees, and not just indulge nostalgia, get a new saw. You won't look back.

Well said sir. Good sound advice.

I see them on both CL and FB Marketplace.

Have you tried there?

Thanks oldCB for the good advice, appreciate it. I think for now I'll put the Homelite on the back burner. My son is a climber in another state and when I spoke to him he agreed that I purchase a new saw. All of his saws are Stihl so that was his only recommendation based on his history with them. For my home owner use he said look at a MS 170 or 180. Maybe down the road I'll come across that Homelite, and pick one up to tinker with.

Thanks oldCB for the good advice, appreciate it. I think for now I'll put the Homelite on the back burner. My son is a climber in another state and when I spoke to him he agreed that I purchase a new saw. All of his saws are Stihl so that was his only recommendation based on his history with them. For my home owner use he said look at a MS 170 or 180. Maybe down the road I'll come across that Homelite, and pick one up to tinker with.

If you want a saw that small, you should seriously look at the echo 3510. Lighter, more power and 5 year warranty.

I'll look into the Echo, I just wouldn't tell my son if I buy one. Lol

Echo makes good stuff. They are often over looked because of the top 2 brands. They are really the best value out there. If you wanted to step up to a 50cc saw. The 4910 is the lightest saw in current production in that size.. Pro construction at homeowner price.

Echo makes good stuff. They are often over looked because of the top 2 brands. They are really the best value out there. If you wanted to step up to a 50cc saw. The 4910 is the lightest saw in current production in that size.. Pro construction at homeowner price.
I've never had experience with Echo, but I've heard the above advice repeatedly, that they're overlooked because of the dominance of the 2 heavy hitters. If budget is a concern, I'd try an Echo. If it's not, I'd go with a Husky (though Stihl works too).

I run Stihls for the most part for firewood to heat my house all winter, but the saw on my hobby bench right now is a blue EZ. I disassembled it over a year ago and chased an air leak for a few weeks. I finally got that figured out and then ran out of time to reassemble it. Today I reinstalled the piston rod, the piston, and the cylinder. Next step is to recheck for air leaks. If none, I'll be a happy camper! I'll post some pictures soon. Hope you found a good modern saw for your daily driver. O

If you aren't familiar with him, look up Leon's Chainsaw. He has a website and YT channel. He specializes in old Homelites and may have a line on something for sale. I donated an old 330 to him awhile back but not sure if he has any of his own that he wants to part with...

https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

I have a homelite EZ that runs and I don't use - too many saws. It is not perfect - it has been used. If you are interested, let me know and I'll PM you. I'm not looking for "collector money" for it. I have too many and if someone who values it will take it and use it, so much the better.

Latest posts

Back