New MS 391 air filter problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 391 and never had any problems with excessive buildup on the back plate, and it's had plenty of use.

I've noticed sometimes people like to fiddle with the air filters too much. I don't know why. Leave it alone and let it do it's job.

I'm interested in the flocked filters though. I haven't seen one for the MS 391 yet? If someone could post a link I'd be appreciative.

Not to be argumentative, but you've obviously never ran a 7900 with the HD filter or a 261 for very long, both filter anything the eye can see.

Yes I'll agree the filter on the 346 doesn't filter everything but it's better than most saws made today. Most who run these saws don't know any better or even notice the dust getting passed the filter, and honestly it's not a big deal as long as the dust isn't excessive.. However saying the flocked filters on Stihl or any other saws are adequate is a load, superior paper and fiber filtration materials have been available for decades, the manufactures are just saving a few Pennies on ignorant consumers, this has happened with all consumer based manufactures.

WoodyWoodsWood If you wan to stop the dust, like I said K&N spray air filter oil works great, that or get a true pro saw.:cheers:

True haven't run a 7900 with a HD or a 261. If they are 100% dust free thats awesome. To date though I've never seen a filtration system thats 100% dust proof past the filter. The 372 I had, the 7900 I had, my 346 I still have all allow small amounts of dust past the filter. The cleanest system I've seen is on my 441 and it too allows tiny amounts of dust past the filter with prolonged sawing. I hope the 261 system is as you say, that will be awesome, the 260 system worked providing alot of cleaning, a whole lot...

all saws can run on straight gas for awhile, dont mean ****. if thats some sorta smack at stihl then get rid of it and keep that poulan. nobody cares.

True haven't run a 7900 with a HD or a 261. If they are 100% dust free thats awesome. To date though I've never seen a filtration system thats 100% dust proof past the filter. The 372 I had, the 7900 I had, my 346 I still have all allow small amounts of dust past the filter. The cleanest system I've seen is on my 441 and it too allows tiny amounts of dust past the filter with prolonged sawing. I hope the 261 system is as you say, that will be awesome, the 260 system worked providing alot of cleaning, a whole lot...

Tom the 7900 HD and the 261 filter 100% as far as I can see. I haven't see any dust get passed the 372, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

This is what I call a flocked type of filter, I'm not 100% sure it's the correct term or not. I coat the filter on this saw "211" with the K&N oil.

attachment.php

Tom the 7900 HD and the 261 filter 100% as far as I can see. I haven't see any dust get passed the 372, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

This is what I call a flocked type of filter, I'm not 100% sure it's the correct term or not. I coat the filter on this saw "211" with the K&N oil.

attachment.php

Your correct, thats what I call that filter too. Adding K&N to it is a major plus for sure but even as it is the amount of particales that get through it are mostly harmless. The older HD Stihl filters used to be oiled all the time.

The dust this man is referring to on the 391 I would have to see how much he's referring to. If its a bunch its a new one on me. I just haven't seen this but I've sold plenty of those saws with no issues what so ever. We gotta get that guy to post some pics so we can see how much he is referring to. I'm curious to what he calls alot compared to what is really harmfull to the engine..

Just got a new to me MS391 and I did get warranty and proof of ownership with the saw its only a month and a half old purchased on 11-23-10. Brought it home and pulled the air filter off and the backing plate was covered in crud and dust. I read on another site somewhere that I am not the first person to experience this problem. The guy on the other site says that stihl replaced his saw with a 441. Don't know if he paid extra for that or if they just replaced his with a 441 to make him happy.

Any way has anyone else had problems with the air filter sealing on a new ms 391???????

I have read about it, but probably the same story that you have read.

Not to be argumentative, but you've obviously never ran a 7900 with the HD filter or a 261 for very long, both filter anything the eye can see.

Yes I'll agree the filter on the 346 doesn't filter everything but it's better than most saws made today. Most who run these saws don't know any better or even notice the dust getting passed the filter, and honestly it's not a big deal as long as the dust isn't excessive.. However saying the flocked filters on Stihl or any other saws are adequate is a load, superior paper and fiber filtration materials have been available for decades, the manufactures are just saving a few Pennies on ignorant consumers, this has happened with all consumer based manufactures.

WoodyWoodsWood If you wan to stop the dust, like I said K&N spray air filter oil works great, that or get a true pro saw.:cheers:

doesn't the 391 have the same filter setup as the 362? I got a new 391 for christmas and from the pics I've seen on here of the 362, it looks the same to me.

To the original poster, I ran one tank of fuel so far through mine and yes after I pulled my filter off, there was a light dusting on the backing plate the filter seals up against. I told my dealer and he said to keep an eye on it and let him know if it gets worse. Maybe normal, but it is the first stihl I've ran that I've seen it like that.

The filter on the 362 is a two piece setup, it has a pre-filter and a normal flocked filter.

attachment.php

Didn't know they had a pre-filter for it, but it looks like it is basically the same filter, minus the tabs that would hold the pre-filter on then. Good to know.

Latest posts

Back