New MS Stihl 180 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQR

Reaction score
G'day guys, first time on here and thanks for being part of what seems to be a great forum.

My new chainsaw would not have done 40 minutes work, but it seems after a 15 minutes work. it bogs down under full throttle.
It still starts and runs well up to about half throttle.

I let it cool down completely, and tried again, it started first go but would only go up to half throttle.

Please help, thanks from down under, Geoff.

Start working through the easy stuff mate, check the choke is properly turning off. Look at the petrol and air filter, the spark plug, check the throttle linkages to the carb and make sure your using 50:1 mix! Thats where my advice ends and hopefully someone else will jump in...........

Hope she works....

Regards Paul. :chainsawguy:

Look at the screen in the muffler, it could be coked up. If it is, then either
your mix is too rich, or your carb is.

Last edited:
Rereading the first post, your saying that the saw is brand new?

You had trouble the first day?

Or it worked fine the first time or two, now it won't rev up? And it was bought a few months ago? Which is a more likely scenario, as if it acted
up the first day, you would have taken it back to the dealer the first day.

Re-reading and guessing and such, I would suggest first dumping out the fuel
and mixing up a new batch, and try that first, as fuel related problems
are generally not covered, I rebuild plenty of carbs on brand new saws that have bad fuel in them.

I am just guessing, give some more detail.

I am all for taking it back to the dealer, if it is warrantable that is. But old bad fuel is not.

Thanks guys for all your help and advice.
The saw is brand new, looking back, it probably did one hour of good intermittent work before the problems started.
It's the weekend down here, so the dealer is not available. I was hoping it was an easy fix as I needed it this weekend.
I emptied all the fuel out of it, and put back in exactly 50 to one ratio.
I've checked the air filter, and it is clean, I have also checked the spark arresting screen, and it is okay.
I will naturally take it to the dealer when they open tomorrow, but I'm actually very disappointed that it would not work for me this weekend.

I will let you all know what the problem was once I find out.

Thanks again from down under, Geoff.

Odd,
It is the weekend up here too......

Just for a test, take off the bar and chain, and the top cover.

Start and run the saw on a bench and rev it up. When it starts to bog, place
your finger over half or so of the carb/afilter opening, and see what happens.

If the engine speeds up, then the carb is running lean due to a blockage,
which, depending on your dealer, will not be covered.

Do that and get back to us.

Thanks Fish I will try that later this morning when I'm allowed to make some noise. (It is only 8.20am Sunday here)

Thanks, Geoff.

It is Sat. afternoon here, wow, is the world round or what???

Usually Stihl dealers are lenient on guys with new saws, and won't charge if they have to go into a carb, but ask before they do.

But try what i posted, later, so you know what to expect.

Last edited:
G'day guys, I did what Fish instructed but there was no bogging down, so I put it all back together and have just run it for the duration of two tanks of fuel without one hiccup!!!!!!!!!!
I'm guessing that the fuel was bad and when I changed it I didn't run it long enough to clear the old fuel.

All is good and I thank you all, it's great to know that such good knowledge is just a keyboard away.

Geoff.

take back to the dealer

mine did the same thing. the carb was a pos. the dealer changed it out and now no prob. it seems to some sort of air leak. my dealers mechanic took off all the air box and took apart the original carb cleaned it an put the carb only on the saw and it ran great. then he put the saw back together completely and it did the cough and spurt and intermittent running krap like before. i seen all the things he tried to do to get it working correctly.

:D

I wonder if the 180s are tempramental about old gas. My buddy bought one new & could barely get it to start. He took it to the dealer & could hear them in the back room yanking on the starter for 20 minutes before it finally ran - the they came out & told him to use fresh gas. He was disgusted with the diagnosis and wound up just giving me the saw.

I suspected user error, too. So I told him I'd troubleshoot it & maybe do bsnelling's carb retrofit. I took it home, put fresh 50:1 in it, and it sprang to life. Started from dry after three pulls. Runs like a scalded dog. I've been trying to talk him into taking the saw back, but he won't have it - he's too soured on the saw and the experience. I don't feel right keeping it but his mind is made up. Now it's collecting dust in my garage.

G'day guys, I did what Fish instructed but there was no bogging down, so I put it all back together and have just run it for the duration of two tanks of fuel without one hiccup!!!!!!!!!!
I'm guessing that the fuel was bad and when I changed it I didn't run it long enough to clear the old fuel.

All is good and I thank you all, it's great to know that such good knowledge is just a keyboard away.

Geoff.

I am starting to keep count here, since no one else is.................

Back