New MS440 - Feast Your Eyes!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I just remember the threads from 2004 or so on here, where the issue was 372xp vs. 440 and 460. I remember that the mostly concluded that the 372 and the 460 more or less tied for first place, while the 440 always was an "also-ran".

I know that doesn't sound right, as the 372xp has the most modest power specs - but my guess is the reason was the 4-channel porting of the 372xp, that gave it a better top end performance, than the rather "primitive" Stihls.
Max power specs is just a snap-shot from the power curve, far from the complete story!

Brad is that a full wrap on your saw? I have never checked into it on the 440. Also is the 440 like the 660 if you order it with the full wrap you get high flow oiler for the longer bars, Roller for chain catcher and larger clutch cover with chip deflector? Any help would be appreciated.

What are you guys paying for 440's. I don't need exact just a ball park. I priced 460 and was quoted 825.00.

After buying my 880 and basically getting 361 for free I really price shop now. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing because i did not plan on buying 880 but the price was so cheap I could have sold both saws for a profit. You have to buy them if there that cheap "right"?

That's a USA 3/4 wrap. It's aftermarket and is not available as of right now. As mentioned, there is no alternative oiler. You have to mod the control bolt to get more oil. They list for $929 and I got this one for $829 with a 25" B&C.

I'm gonna get flogged, but I'd rather have a 441... ( in all due respect, I undestand why it's a legend, and it should be. The 441 is just better, IMVHO)
Ugggg, u-gotta-b-kid-in'

Who's gotta line on a dealer with a new 440? PM me.

I called around today and got some prices. I can't believe the price one dealer quoted over the phone. I might have to check it out when I get home. $725 with 20" b/c. :msp_ohmy:I don't believe it since it's the same place that sells a 24" chain for $36.:msp_confused: I'm sure it might change when I go in there. I didn't get through at the normal place I buy parts from to see what they'll price them at.

How many do you want, lol?

I just pulled the jug off this one and was surprised to see it's a Gilardoni. Looks good.

Best news Ive heard yet on the new edition.

Same as the 441. They are a top shelf company, making either Ferrari or lamborgini piston sets, not sure which.

Best news Ive heard yet on the new edition.

Same as the 441. They are a top shelf company, making either Ferrari or lamborgini piston sets, not sure which.

So you are saying the 440 could be either a Ferrari or Lamborgini... Wow, I think I need to get one ASAP haha

I called around today and got some prices. I can't believe the price one dealer quoted over the phone. I might have to check it out when I get home. $725 with 20" b/c. :msp_ohmy:I don't believe it since it's the same place that sells a 24" chain for $36.:msp_confused: I'm sure it might change when I go in there. I didn't get through at the normal place I buy parts from to see what they'll price them at.

Considering retail is $929.00, that is hard to believe. I figured $829.00 would be about the best one could do. But.....

The gilardoni cylinders used to be some of the finest looking cylinders made.

046 vs. MS 440

Working on a vintage 046 Magnum today. Thought I would try to restore it. Dang good saw in my book and worth restoring. Big log rolled on the throttle handle and snapped the back end of the handle. Other than that, she's in pretty good shape.

I think it's about the same size engine as the MS 440 or 441 but might be more like the MS 460. Anybody know?

Working on a vintage 046 Magnum today. Thought I would try to restore it. Dang good saw in my book and worth restoring. Big log rolled on the throttle handle and snapped the back end of the handle. Other than that, she's in pretty good shape.

I think it's about the same size engine as the MS 440 or 441 but might be more like the MS 460. Anybody know?

The 046 is the more or less the same saw as the 460, minus flippy caps. There is a few minor differences. The tank vents, carbs, mufflers, combustion chamber size and shape are all different, mostly for the better. Id take an 046 over a 460 any day. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back