New MS440 - Feast Your Eyes!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice saw but I'd put this against it.

They are two very popular saws,,, I dont think you can go wrong with either one!!!!

I have both and use them pretty regular...

Just got back from two week vacation on Vancouver Island,,, very pretty place,,, and drove up on Arbutus Ridge BTW,,,,

Last edited:
VERY WELL SAID! On top of caps getting buggered up, I think the heart of the new cap, were guys breaking the centers out of the caps on some saws (I have done this, which is why I was told flippy caps exist).

Yep, if you use a scrench on the caps long enough the center of the cap - looks like a stop sign - will loosen at the seams and gas will start to leak there.

I've got a 1993 044 and the gas cap center is starting to loosen at the seams. Time to get a few new caps. The saw was a logging saw for most of its life before I bought it.

Hand tight is plenty.

Last edited:
No dealers in my are are carrying them. :( They say they won't sell them with the timber market so low. I guess if I really want one it will have to be imported by another member.

No dealers in my are are carrying them. :( They say they won't sell them with the timber market so low. I guess if I really want one it will have to be imported by another member.

they wont even order it for you even though their distributor carries it? thats messed up.:msp_mad::msp_mad:

The couple dealers I talked with hadn't tried toorder any. One dealer said they knew they were available but the boss wouldn't let him order them as they have 441s on hand. The other one I deal with a lot said they didn't think you could get them. I did it over the phone since I'm not home right now to walk in and talk with them.

I mentioned that a friend in ohio just bought a new one and they were ordering more to one dealer and he acted like it was leftovers that somehow were getting dug up. I guess they just won't get a new saw sell that way.

I was priced $825 OTD for PHO, but he had to order it. My dealer doesn't intend on stocking them.

I think that's what the dealers around me are planning to do. I hope to get the co-op to actually get a price on one. They priced a 460 at $853 so I think the 440 would be about $30 less than that.

thats good to hear. i know most if not all the dealers around me will not be stocking it, but the least they can do is order it for you. if i want one thats whats going to happen. too bad Bryan Equipment doesnt carry the wrap 440.

Yep, if you use a scrench on the caps long enough the center of the cap - looks like a stop sign - will loosen at the seams and gas will start to leak there.

I've got a 1993 044 and the gas cap center is starting to loosen at the seams. Time to get a few new caps. The saw was a logging saw for most of its life before I bought it.

Hand tight is plenty.
Glad to see others have run into this mess besides me and most of my customers. I also think it's amazing how many try to shove this problem under the rug.

Yes, SawTroll, it is a problem. :msp_razz:

I like the MS440's well, but just dont know that I need one as bad as I like to think that I do. I am in love with my XPW, and have a NOS 365 Special that I would have to part with to get one... and not just ready to do that. Been back and forth on it for a while now, just hope Im not faced with one at my dealer. From that point, it would probably take a truck ride home...

They are two very popular saws,,, I dont think you can go wrong with either one!!!!

I have both and use them pretty regular...

Just got back from two week vacation on Vancouver Island,,, very pretty place,,, and drove up on Arbutus Ridge BTW,,,,

Thanks. You're right - I flip flopped back and forth between the 440 and xp so many times it made my head spin. The 440 runs a little faster, I think. Your 440 does look real good.
I should take mine up to Nanaimo and modify it as well, so that if you ever come back here to the island here you could bring your saw with you. I'm outside of Victoria and there are lots of logs on our acreage. We'll set some logs on the sawhorse and run a couple time trials then have a beer afterwards.
Best,
Joe

I've got another new MS440 here and shot some pics for you guys.

IMG7162-M.jpg

IMG7164-M.jpg

IMG7165-M.jpg

IMG7166-M.jpg

IMG7160-M.jpg

IMG7154-M.jpg

IMG7155-M.jpg

IMG7173-M.jpg

Latest posts

Back