new ms460 on the way, best bar combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNAR13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok..i've been searching the crap outta the site all afternoon and i can't really find a good answer for this. i've got a 460 on the way and i can't decide what size bar i want with it. i'd like to have a 28 for when i need it, but what is the best bar for the saw to "live" with? would a 20 or 24 be better all around, or would the 28 be a good all-around bar for it? would there be a point in having a 24 and 28?

I really like the balance of mine with the 25" bar on it. Not too nose heavy, not too tail heavy and has plenty of reach for most work.
I also have a 32" for mine but it is very nose heavy and I only use it when I need it.

I run a 25" on mine, works pretty good.

I have always ran a 20" on my 044. Could combo in large wood for me at least. I recently bought a 25" bar for it and I really like the balance. I would get one of each

chris

Go with a 7 pin, 24" 84 DL B/C. Nice combo. There's not alot of noticable
differance with a 28". You can fell,buck and do some limb'n
:cheers:
photo.jpg

Last edited:
thanks guys. i was thinking about going with the 24 and having the 28 around in case i needed it. you guys think it would be better to go ahead and buy it with the 28 and then get the 24 later?

Buy them both when you pick up the saw and get a couple of chains for each bar. The dealer should cut you a little slack on the extra bar and chains. My dealer wont budge on the price of a saw but he is real cool about extra bars, chains, gas, oil etc.

I'd say buy the 25" ES bar and a couple extra chains for now. If you find you need more bar then find a dealer and buy a GB Titanium and a couple of chains for it latter.
My reasoning is the ES bars seem to wear forever and you will be using it the most. The GB bars are good quality and could? be bought for a LOT less then the Stihl bars.
Just some thoughts.

I really like the balance of mine with the 25" bar on it. Not too nose heavy, not too tail heavy and has plenty of reach for most work.
I also have a 32" for mine but it is very nose heavy and I only use it when I need it.

Mine is almost perfect with the 25" bar and will cut almost anything you will need to cut but I also have a 36" bar for occasional use but has only been on 2-3 times. Scott

I'd say buy the 25" ES bar and a couple extra chains for now. If you find you need more bar then find a dealer and buy a GB Titanium and a couple of chains for it latter.
My reasoning is the ES bars seem to wear forever and you will be using it the most. The GB bars are good quality and could? be bought for a LOT less then the Stihl bars.
Just some thoughts.

That's a good point. The 25" works well, but the 20" with a DP muffler cover (should be mandatory) and a carb adjustment is an awesome wood-eating machine!

A 28 for occasional use could well be a GB and likely just fine.

Mine is almost perfect with the 25" bar and will cut almost anything you will need to cut but I also have a 36" bar for occasional use but has only been on 2-3 times. Scott

Might as well have typed that myself. Mine also has a 25" B&C it wears everyday that replaced the 36" it came with.

i think i'll just handle it with both bars on it at the dealer and see which one feels best to me to determine which one it will spend most of its time with. thanks guys

Most 441's and 460's we sell have 24" bars, good balance and power for cutting hardwoods. Rarely do we get any call for 28" bars, most of the time if they go bigger than 24" they jump up to a 660 with a 32" bar.

The 28" is obviously perfect for cutting through a lot of 24" trees or the bottom swell of the 20-24" trees from one side for speed. That being said, I'm talking about production cutting here.

For a homeowner, 25" is just about perfect, and that 460 will pull it easily.

My vote would be for the 25" bar. If you are bored it will pull a 32" very nicely too, so if you need to cut bigger stuff, jump to the 32", I think that would be a good combo.

My opinion, your money,

Sam

I think the 20" balances better than 25" , thats my opinion
I run 20" and 30" on the 460

Latest posts

Back