New ms460/scored piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well I went down to my local dealer yesterday to get a dp muffler for my month old 460. He had to order it and actually stopped by the distributors house that night to pick it up. Needless to say I was thrilled with the service. Anyhow, when I went down there this morning when he pulled the muffler I heard the words and I quote " well,well, what do we have here. My stomach sank as I was almost sure I knew what that meant. Yep, scored piston and jug.:cry: :cry: As he cursed the EPA and there standards I explained that I only use 93 octane fresh fuel and Stihl Ultra. I happen to have my Ms 310 with me because I wanted him to put that on the tach as well and the piston was perfect. I've been running the heck out of that saw with same gas that I've been using in in the 460. Do they actually set these saws that lean from the factory? I've heard of Dolmars being lean from the factory but not much about the Stihls so I wasn't that concerned about checking the tune right off the bat. Big mistake. I will never take a new factory saw and run it with out tuning ever again. New piston and jug is ordered and I should have the saw back next week. Dealer kept telling me I did not do anything wrong I say this still stinks!!!!:censored:

Wow thats too bad I take it the work is done under warranty??

I just got a 460 in the spring and although I changed out to a DP and retuned it I still broke it in with standard tune.

Im gonna go check mine.....

i never put a new saw into wood without a proper muffler mod and retune..

Wow thats too bad I take it the work is done under warranty??

I just got a 460 in the spring and although I changed out to a DP and retuned it I still broke it in with standard tune.

Im gonna go check mine.....

Just looked at mine... very faint vertical lines on the piston, not bad enough to feel with a finger nail or anything like that.

Tried to take a picture but wasnt coming out in pics.

Does anyone have a pic of lines or normal wear that could be considered acceptable??

Whole thing is covered under warranty. You know, I asked him why he does not check the saw before giving it to the customer and he seemed to imply that if the saw blows up in the first 10 tanks then Stihl deserves to have to warranty it. He always tells customers to come back after 10 tanks to have their saw tuned. My only thought about that is that if he never pulled that muffler to put on the dp he would have never saw the score. I would have left happy with a newly tuned saw with a score in the piston and jug until it completely blew up. As I have heard a thousand times before, the saw was screaming beautifully in the wood the day before.

Just looked at mine... very faint vertical lines on the piston, not bad enough to feel with a finger nail or anything like that.

Tried to take a picture but wasnt coming out in pics.

Does anyone have a pic of lines or normal wear that could be considered acceptable??

That piston should look perfectly smooth. When we pulled the muffler on my 310 to confirm that it was not bad fuel you could not see a mark on it. Smooth as silk.

That sucks that it was sent out that lean. I think the dealer should have checked that first when they test run it and retuned it. Atleast they are covering it.

yea I have to agree the dealer should put the final tune on the saw b4 it is given to the consumer. almost sounds like its a way for him to catch some more work...

I think that you have actually a pretty lousy dealer . My dealer never lets a saw out that doesnt get bench tuned and then put on the tach before it goes out the door. He never ever tells me to bring it back after 10 tanks either . All he has ever said was If I dont think its running right bring it back anytime . I also never get charged either for a carb adjustment , thats just part of his service towrds me , probably due to the number of items I have bought from him over the years.

He was supposed to tune it. Part of being a Stihl dealer. Now he gets to tell a little white lie to Stihl to get you the warranty. Shouldn'ta happened

He was supposed to tune it. Part of being a Stihl dealer. Now he gets to tell a little white lie to Stihl to get you the warranty. Shouldn'ta happened

wow mine wasnt tuned at all when I got it from the dealer. The guy selling it didnt know anything about it and could barely get it started:dizzy:

Im gonna go have a talk with them about this. It isnt CLOSE to what Ive seen on this site, but for having maybe 10 hours on it, there should'nt be anything wrong with it

This sounds like a Dealer..Error..
My dealer will not let you even pay for a new Stihl, till the tech spends 20 minutes with you and the saw. He explains what he is tuning it to and why. He explains with the saw in hand what 4 stroking is. Showed me the tach and how and why he adjusted it. Also stated at anytime I thought it was not running great.. bring it to him and he will correct it. N/C.

Great Dealers = Repeat Customers.

Very rarely is the saw "tuned" by someone that knows what they are doing
anyway, and almost none of them would remove the limiter caps, or even have the tool to do so.
None of them pre-lube the chain or bar either.

The kid fires the saw up, runs the guts out of it until it starts slinging oil,
and if it stays idling after it warms a little, it is handed to the customer.

Not saying that this is good, just reality....

I'ver never heard of none of the dealers around me actually going over the new saw with you or even tuning it out the door for that matter. Seems they should, but none here do.

I know one thing, I check my tune before I ever cut with a new or used saw. You just never know, especially if the dealer did'nt touch it from the get go.

Also, the reason I sell the whole engine block, instead of taking it down to the p/c, bearings,seals,crank, is that the piston is so marred and scratched
from the factory, that the e-bay customers would reject.
Sad but true.

Latest posts

Back