New MS660 idles for short time then sputters and dies...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarguru

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello there everyone, I'm new to the board... I've been reading here for a while and gotten some IPL's and manuals, until now I have mostly been just trying to lears some things and this forum seems to be a wealth of information.

Well, heres the story on my MS660...

I talked to a local dealer months ago about a used p&c for my 075AV and, he didn't have any but I got to talking to him and told him if he ever came across a deal on a larger saw to get me know and that I would be interested... I stopped by once in a while and chatted with him but no large saw deals to speak of until about a week ago...

He called me up and let me know that a long time customer had bought a MS660, ran the tank of mix thru it that was in it when he gave it to him, when he needed to refuel, he mistakenly grabbed the gas can with straight gas and being in a rush, ran the saw with straight gas, it didnt seize up & from what I understand it did not run long with straight gas, it did however run long enough to score up the piston. So, long story short, the guy bought another saw and said he didnt want to deal with that one because of his unfortunate mistake... I went and looked at it and sure enuff, what I see when I get there is a brand new saw, burned up in less that two taks of gas run thru it... I feel I got it pretty cheap too so im happy to go thru it and get it running...

Fast forward to today, I got the cylinder off and piston out, piston scored kinda bad but the jug cleaned up with some acid, no damage to nikasil, the crankcase looked clean but i flushed it out with fuel and found no metal in it... I put an a/m piston after I cleaned up the window flashing and rings in it and while I had it apart I mod'd the muff with the husky ex outlet, made the stock hole larger and mod'd the baffle inside... I also took the limiter caps off and trimmed the tabs, i marked the settings and got them close to where they were & put the rest of the saw back together. I pushed the decomp valve and yanked on the rope and it fired up just like my other saws do.

Heres where the real question comes in tho... I turned the H jet out about another 1/4 turn ccw & the L out about another 1/8 of a turn ccw and when the saw started it seemed to be running great. I didn't put a bar on it yet and just kind of let it idle to warm it up a bit and blipped the throttle a little here and there for a few minutes... as it warmed up I set it on the ground to set the idle near 2700rpm with a tach, upon letting it idle for a few seconds, it sounded like it started starving for fuel so i opened the L jet ccw a lil more and blipped the throttle to keep it running but it doesnt seem to want to idle long... I also tried adjusting the L jet cw just a hair past the marks i made at stock settings and it seemed to ruff idle and die that way too.

I have other saws and keep the carbs adjusted but they just occationally need a tweak here and there but not much at all... I guess i'm just unsure of myself on the low setting and dont want to damage the saw again. I have not run it again, I figured I would ask for some advise on here before I put a bar & chain on it to try to go and run it thru a log...

I have read the some on tuning the low, but i guess im just sharing my story and looking for some sound advise here... in total im in this saw less that $500 and dont really want to burn up another piston... it does seem to be pretty responsive and run good with the little bit I have run it & i guess im not really sure if it is loading up, or starving for fuel when it dies... to me it sounds like its starting for fuel and not being able to recover when i blip the throttle...

Any advise anyone may have would be appriciated.

Thanks. solarguru!

here is a pic of the old piston
attachment.php

the new piston
attachment.php

the saw back together
attachment.php

and the saw in a log
attachment.php

finally my old man cutting some rounds
attachment.php

I have video but I have to figure out how to edit it into smaller files...

Latest posts

Back