New, my first 2 saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after quite a while of wanting to get my first saw, I've picked up 2 in the last month. I'm mostly a weekend wood warrior. Anyway, the first saw I picked up was a non running Stihl 038 AV Electronic, had great compression and spark so my brother in law and I kind of rebuilt it as it was missing some stuff and now it runs great. Second saw I just picked up last weekend is a very early 041 from what I can gather. Not an AV, not a Farm Boss, just an 041. It runs great and I'll be using
both saws for the first time this coming weekend, can't wait.

Here is the 038 AV after I got it and cleaned it up a bit.

20140808_083036.jpg

20140812_214727.jpg

20140812_221232.jpg

To getting running right we put a new carb kit in it and all was well. Also had to get some other parts including an air filter, new clutch drum kit, bar and chain and a few other smaller items.

20140813_192142.jpg

20140815_195616.jpg

20140816_181125.jpg

And the finished product.

20140817_201546.jpg

Here is the 041, traded a few things and a little cash for it. Bar is a little rusty, air filter cover nut on top is partially broken and the muffler is missing the screen but other than that it runs great.

20140823_172741.jpg

20140823_172755.jpg

I've already learned a TON on here searching and look forward to learning more. Thanks for looking!

Is the Hyway filter flocked or does it have "wire screen" in it? I would not run a "wire screen" filter in your saw. Get what is called a "flocked filter" -- plenty of them available. The flocked filter will have a denser material inside that will prevent tiny particles from passing through. Although they are not usually cheap it may save you from having to do a top end rebuild in the future. Happy Sawing!

Is the Hyway filter flocked or does it have "wire screen" in it? I would not run a "wire screen" filter in your saw. Get what is called a "flocked filter" -- plenty of them available. The flocked filter will have a denser material inside that will prevent tiny particles from passing through. Although they are not usually cheap it may save you from having to do a top end rebuild in the future. Happy Sawing!
Not to sure about that. Seen a few with hardly any filter left, running happily over the years! I see the paranoia about the airfilter a little more realaxed. Keep out the course, but the real fines won't do much.

To each his own. I don't run any saws with wire screen filters.
But I don't have to pay for any bodies repairs except mine. Its all good that way :cool:

Latest posts

Back