New Saw - First Time Modding!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kustrud

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I think I originally posted this in the wrong place:

Hey guys, so I read through everything I could to wake my new saw up a bit but am having trouble tuning it. I've watched every video I can and I get the gist of it but am having issues and dont want to mess it up.

Echo 400 cs 18" bar

I modded the muffler by gutting the cat and opening the front up a bit.

I removed the limiter caps, but they were a PAIN to get uot and had no idea where they were set once I finally got the caps out. So I screwed them all the way in to start. Opened the L side 1 1/2 turns and the high side 2 1/2 turns and fired it up, idles really high and didnt seem right so I shut it down right away. So now I am back to having them both screwed in all the way and am here for some help to get this thing to run right now. How should I start? Any ideas for "starting points?"

Someone suggested one turn out on each - tried that. Starts then dies, if I pull choke it starts and revs up on it's own until I blip the throttle. Muffler seems a bit "oil wet" but that be from me messing with the settings earlier too and going too rich. So as of now, they're one turn out each and what I just mentioned above is how it's running. Help!

Quick update, needed some more gas haha! How do I know if the L side is too rich/lean? I got it started and would idle, but would bog when I tried to rev so I opened it up. Now I got it revving quickly, but it wont idle now.

usually a high idle that wont go down via the idle stop screw means air leak.
is it brand-new, or just new to you,? Did it run OK and idle and accelerate before you started the changes? or always do this?

What's the La?

Here's an update though - got it idling great - idle was too far out. Seems snappy and torquey off the bottom now! No bogs anywhere in the RPM band. I'm scared to wind it out now though as I have no idea if the top end is too lean. Getting there....

What's next?

I'm new to this too but learning a ton. I ain't offering advice but @HarleyT helped me a ton, easy to understand instructions. My 3 CS400 now run like raped apes. The help will come, be patient.

Back