New saw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyW in CT

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Older gentleman near me is looking to get a 20" bar/saw but want's something easy to start. I suggested a 372XP but remember I had a tired arm pulling that thing. Any of the major brands/specific model easier to start than another? He has Stihl, Husqvarna dealers close to him. Thanks, Kenny.

I find that highly unlikely, as long as they all have a decomp valve.

...but the 372xp is the easiest to start of my saws, mainly because it is the heaviest, I believe.
When "drop-starting", the weight actually help you in the starting process.

Last edited:
Let me re-phrase. This guy is in his 70's, and probably won't drop start a saw. The 372 I used must have had a bad decompression valve because it would close on the first pull even though the engine wasn't running, resulting in a major kickback on the secxond pull. I have seen some of the cheaper saws with spring assisted recoil starts and mechanical advantaged gear type starter recoils that are supposed to be less effort. I just don't want this guy to have a stroke starting this thing. Stihl has their elasto grip thing, does that help at all? Thanks, Kenny

Stihl has the "Easy Start" system. Some of the pros here dont think much of it, but it works. I would definatly check it out.

I know you guys are going to find this highly unusual, but I do NOT recommend the 5100! It's probably the hardest saw to pull (the starter rope) that I have. With the decomp valve not engaged, the 460 is harder, but at least it has a decomp. valve, the 5100 does not.

With a 20" bar, lightweight, and easy to pull the rope, the 361 is hard to beat.

Let me re-phrase. This guy is in his 70's, and probably won't drop start a saw. The 372 I used must have had a bad decompression valve because it would close on the first pull even though the engine wasn't running, resulting in a major kickback on the secxond pull. I have seen some of the cheaper saws with spring assisted recoil starts and mechanical advantaged gear type starter recoils that are supposed to be less effort. I just don't want this guy to have a stroke starting this thing. Stihl has their elasto grip thing, does that help at all? Thanks, Kenny

Stihl Easy2Start works excellent, but the largest saw you'll find it on is the 250. I like my 250, but it is a small saw (45cc/3.1hp) and many people here has not yet seen the light on this one... With Easy2Start you can pull as slow and short as you like since it's just like winding a spring. When it has reached enough tension it releases and starts the saw. If you need both hands to hold your saw you could actually pull the handle with your teeth, it's that smooth.

Elastostart does not make it easier, as in less resistance, to start the saw, but will make pulling it a lot smoother since it in practice is a piece of elastic rubber that connects the pull handle to the pull cord. Every saw of every make should have this...

Husqvarna has a new system on their e-series that I have tried on a string trimmer. It still requires you to pull rather snappy and at some speed, but then immediately does some magic to make pulling amazingly effortless, almost like if there was that old automatic decompression valve again. Works well, and my 78-year old mother loves it, but I have no idea of how it works.

The Husqvarna 455 Rancher tool-less has this and is a bit larger than the Stihl 250. You won't see that Husky being recommended that often on this forum, but in this case it might be a saw to consider. It's simply the largest saw he can get with any kind of starting assistance.

I know you guys are going to find this highly unusual, but I do NOT recommend the 5100! It's probably the hardest saw to pull (the starter rope) that I have. With the decomp valve not engaged, the 460 is harder, but at least it has a decomp. valve, the 5100 does not.

With a 20" bar, lightweight, and easy to pull the rope, the 361 is hard to beat.

The 5100 (and NE346xp, unless you use the decomp valve) is very easy to start in the air - never tried any of them on the ground - but they are nowhere close to a good 70cc saw for power..

This tread sure is confusing - what's the point, really......:monkey:

My 441 starts real easy even without the decomp valve pushed in. It has the Elasto-Start, (not to be confused with EZ-2-Start) starts right up easy.

Stihl Easy2Start works excellent, but the largest saw you'll find it on is the 250. I like my 250, but it is a small saw (45cc/3.1hp) and many people here has not yet seen the light on this one... With Easy2Start you can pull as slow and short as you like since it's just like winding a spring. When it has reached enough tension it releases and starts the saw. If you need both hands to hold your saw you could actually pull the handle with your teeth, it's that smooth.

Elastostart does not make it easier, as in less resistance, to start the saw, but will make pulling it a lot smoother since it in practice is a piece of elastic rubber that connects the pull handle to the pull cord. Every saw of every make should have this...

Husqvarna has a new system on their e-series that I have tried on a string trimmer. It still requires you to pull rather snappy and at some speed, but then immediately does some magic to make pulling amazingly effortless, almost like if there was that old automatic decompression valve again. Works well, and my 78-year old mother loves it, but I have no idea of how it works.

The Husqvarna 455 Rancher tool-less has this and is a bit larger than the Stihl 250. You won't see that Husky being recommended that often on this forum, but in this case it might be a saw to consider. It's simply the largest saw he can get with any kind of starting assistance.

I didn't think of that and your logic is sound. I tend to think of only pro-grade saws - my mistake. Duh, why does a 70 year old want a pro-grade saw, unless of course, he's been a wood cutter his whole life and is extremely fit and healthy? However, if he wants a pro-grade, take him to the dealer and let him try starting different ones. The easiest to start wins? It's always a good idea to try it before you buy it, and a good dealer will let you.

Last edited:
Take a look at my saw inventory in my signature block below. They are all easy to start; because they are all well maintained. If he is 'only' 70 yrs old, then get him a 260 Pro and he will be happy, especially if he uses an 18" bar and chain on it. Now if he really is 'only 70 yrs old and wants a 20" bar, then by all means get him a 361. Oh yes, by the way, after you look at my saws; please remember that I'm a few months 'over' 78 yrs old, so I'm pretty biased. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
I would just take the elder gentleman down to the saw shop and let him try all the saws out and see which one HE likes best. After all hes the one gonna be using it.

The 5100 (and NE346xp, unless you use the decomp valve) is very easy to start in the air

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, Wise Sage. I presume you still mean 'drop-starting?'

My son and I think our 5100 is one of our easiest starting saws. However, it does take some 'snappy' strength to get the momentum of the pull started. For the problem described, a saw which he would not have to give a sudden jerk, seemed more appropriate.

- never tried any of them on the ground - but they are nowhere close to a good 70cc saw for power...

Obviously agree.

This tread sure is confusing - what's the point, really......:monkey:

I'm not quite sure what you mean...but, I sincerely say I've learned a lot from reading your posts and I appreciate your logic.

God Speed.

Back